Have a f430 Want to keep the f430 | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Have a f430 Want to keep the f430

Discussion in '360/430' started by parkem, Sep 18, 2017.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 601

601 Karting

Dec 19, 2010
    California
    Would you advocate engine replacement over refresh/rebuild?

2. Mighty Joe

Mighty Joe Formula 3

Sep 3, 2010
    Atlanta, GA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    Huh? The F430 Engine is darn near bullet proof..... I saw a F430 Spider with 76K miles and it was getting its very first clutch!

3. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    I would agree with you if we were talking about a supercar, like the Enzo, ect. F430s are entry level cars made for driving. I have an 05 with 76k miles and it still idles dead nuts on 1k rpm at idle, with no engine or transmission issues. I'll drove it until it's worn out, most likely way over 100k, and have the work done on it when it's needed. I had a friend that would change the oil in his f350, drive around the block, then change the oil again to "make sure all the bad oil is out". That is mental, and I think so is buying a $25k engine so it can sit and rot for the next 10 years.

Now if you live in a country where parts and service are hard to come by like Brazil or some Asian countries, or are racing and need the spare, that's a different story.

Drive and enjoy the car, if something needs fixing, fix it. These Italian ladies have enough we have to deal with without making up imaginary issues.

cole328 likes this.
  4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I guess you know better than my 43 years in the Ferrari business.

5. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    Well, if you think it's a good idea to buy an a 25k engine for a 80k car to have it sit for 10 years, why yes, I do know better.

Dicecal, Zanny1 and Zed82 like this.
  6. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I guess it's a simple matter of how old you are (how many years you realistically will be able to get your body into and drive a 430), how many miles you drive your car, and realistically how many years will have gone by before you need to actually replace an entire engine.

But with that said, I agree; rebuilding any engine usually costs much more than a suitable replacement. So there's that.

7. jo.e

jo.e Karting

Jan 6, 2017
    Germany
    Full Name:
    Jochen

Eric C likes this.
  8. Mikael-F360

Mikael-F360 Formula Junior

Apr 3, 2017
    Finland
    Full Name:
    Mikael E.
    Haha, only in Sweden :D

Realisticly speaking; Can anyone say what would be the selling price with these miles?

9. gatago

gatago Karting

Jun 28, 2019
    Full Name:
    Marco
    that's an interesting question. I think people that put these many miles on their car actually love it and prob would not sell it. I would be ok paying $15k less than market price for same year/color/ect if PPI came back without signs of abuse. I'm pretty sure you can have these engines refreshed for sub $20k and all other wear parts are changed out pretty regularly on low mileage examples. All this assuming you plan to drive it and not as "investment" which is silly reason to buy a f430 or f360.
    so at this point in time I'd pay $70kish maybe.

Mikael-F360 likes this.