New (to me) 2003 456M GTA | FerrariChat

New (to me) 2003 456M GTA

Discussion in '456/550/575' started by Mirek, Feb 27, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Just bought a very nice,clean low mile (19k) Black/Tan 2003 456M with the Daytona seats and black piping.
    Pretty Boss looking and understated to say the least.

Take delivery in LA on Sat, is there a good/trusted mechanic or dealer that will even tackle/work on a 2003 456M ? Gonna need to SMOG it too.

Are there any late 456M improvements that are overlooked and I may not know about ? It sounds like they sorted a number of issues outside the most commonly known M improvements/updates.

Mirek

2. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Congrats on joining the M Club Jeff.
    They are great cars and a pure joy to drive.

I’m sure Taz or Cribb can chime in on any improvements.

In CA, the seller is responsible for smog if over 90 days?

Remember one of the guiding principles on this site: pictures or it didn’t happen....

3. Canuck550

Canuck550 Formula Junior

Sep 8, 2015
    Incognito
    Full Name:
    RJA
    Congrats!
    Look forward to the pictures

4. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  5. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Also it states that it has “factory tint” on the Monroney (as standard). But this appears darker than stock might be. Is it possible it is stock tint ?

Image Unavailable, Please Login

6. ferraridriver

ferraridriver F1 Rookie

Aug 8, 2002
    Bay Area Calif.
    Full Name:
    Dave
    That does look darker. My 550 had aftermarket tinted windows, I made the dealer remove it as a condition of sale.

7. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    It is not as severe in certain angles. I must say that it is a nice tint job and I do not hate it as much as I imagine I would. Anyway, it can be removed I suppose.
    Hey how are the stereo’s in these things ?

Can I jam out or is it “tinny” or sub-par, etc.....?
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

8. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    Wow, that’s gorgeous.

OK, out of state purchase so you’ll have to smog. Probably at a test only station.
    Don’t see why you can’t drive it on arrival, unless it has no plates....

Strictly speaking, tint ahead of the driver is illegal in CA, but I think you probably have to get stopped for something else to get cited.

I put a factory 6112 head unit in mine. It’s OK, but could use better speakers. But with Tubi’s I so rarely turn it on it’s pointless. I’ll probably go to a 6105 when I have the dash leather done.

If you wouldn’t mind, please tell us the details of your car (VIN, assembly #, etc.). Some of us spotters track this stuff. PM if you don’t want to share it publicly.

9. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    As one of the registry keepers Killer refers to, let me see if the ol' Karnak trick works here.
    Your car is vin #132380. the sixth from last 456M ever built. In fact, the car that went down the line just before mine. It is the only 03 GTA in black with a tan interior, Daytona seats with black piping. What I don't have is mileage, engine # and assembly #. Happy to update the registry and send you a copy.

Congrats. These are just wonderful cars. And really great that it came with the matching Schedoni luggage. What a great purchase.

10. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Sure thing. As soon as it gets here (hopefully today as the paperwork states) I will put up any info you wish. Very cool someone is tracking these and that specific info that you posted about my car is simply fascinating to me. Thank you.

I thought they built 2004 models ? Was mine the 6th from last 2003 ?

11. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Also yes, the Karnak trick worked perfectly !

12. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    There were no 2004 US models. By 2004, the 612 had taken the place of the 456M.

Trying to decode the build cycle by using VIN numbers is always a bit dicey for Ferrari, however, it seems there was a batch of 5 cars that went down the line in March of 03. Yours was the first of the batch, 132380 in Nero w/ Tan and auto, mine was next 132381 TdF blue w/ Tan and 6-sp, third was 132383 which was a bicolore Schumacher edition Grigio Scaglietti/Grigio Nuvolari (Grey interior) and 6-sp, then 132384 which is Nero Daytona w/ Tan and auto, and then another Schumacher, 132385 with Grigio Nuvolari/Canne di Fucile and the Grigio Scuro interior and 6-sp. The last car sent to the US was built somewhat later one would assume with VIN 132641. It was Argento w/Nero interior and a 6-sp.

Your car is the next to last auto built for the US

13. Laserguru

Laserguru Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2016
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Eric
    Being a more recent owner since those pipes were made by Bradan, I called back in late Nov and asked if they still had any. I was told no, long gone. Then about two weeks later, they got back in touch with me and told me they had found one last set in the warehouse. I picked them up. Bradan doesn't plan to make any more. Installing these is a part of the winter playtime with the car.

14. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Wow, totally cool and thank you for taking the time to share that cool info. What a trip. My birthday is on March 2nd. It was made for me !
    I will enter it in the concourso Italiana this August for fun.

15. hpxxhan

hpxxhan Rookie

Mar 10, 2013
    That is a gorgeous car. Always loved the 456s and now you are making me want to get one. Especially with the auto, I hope it'll be easier to convince the wife when time comes.

16. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Thank you. The auto was for the wife/LA traffic.

They refinished the cylinder head tops when they did the belt service. Brand new looking!

paulchua and Qavion like this.
  17. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Im sure i can get dan to build a few more.

18. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Hubbard Automobiles. Any clue how I can get the radio to stop saying *wait* ? I actually do have the Beker code handy but it does not seem to let me enter it.
    I will pull those requested numbers for the registry shortly.

19. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Have you tried disconnecting and reconnecting the battery?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
  21. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    Use the turn off switch- dont know where it is off top of my head but theres def one

22. Mirek

Mirek Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 20, 2019
    Los Angeles, CA
    Full Name:
    Mirek
    Cool. It worked and my radio functions properly now that I input the code.

I think my wife tripped the immobilizer because now the key simply will not come out of the ignition. No matter what combination of key buttons I press or when trying other key in the door to gain entry...unhooking battery, etc....any ideas ?

I have searched but cannot seem to find a definitive answer.

Dang.

23. ttforcefed

Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    The steering is locked? Just play with it and yank on it hard lol. Im serious though.

Mirek likes this.