720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto) | Page 2 | FerrariChat

720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    720s can be had in Canada for as low as $279kCAD which is $210K US. A few others going for $289k CAD - $217K US. Screaming buy.

2. IloveGT

IloveGT Formula 3
    BANNED

Oct 17, 2015
    2 seconds are a lot of difference!

3. Ferrari 360 CS

Ferrari 360 CS F1 Veteran

Dec 4, 2004
    Cape Town,SA
    Full Name:
    Jacques
    The inherent problem here is while both are great cars I'd argue its McLaren which started this phase of more and more new models at ever shorter intervals and Ferrari have been lured into this, in my view its precisely this which has lead to huge depreciation on most McLarens.

Lap times for most are academic and probably only really useful for bar boasting because most could never driver either to its full potential.

4. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    you mean McLaren has had more models than Porsche? Hmm go figure.

5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I think the term "track focused" is thrown around way too loosely.
    Yes the Pista is more defined towards performance than a 488 and F8. But to call it an actual track car? No. It is still very much a road going car thst performs well on the track. If it was truly track focused, it should be more like the GT3RS or dare I say Senna. Compared to actual track focused cars, it is for all intentions still very comfortable and dare I say, soft. I think it's a brilliant concept in fact, and part of what I truly love about Ferrari is their ability to compromise in the right way. I love the idea about a road going car that performs as well as a Ferrari does. I'm still blown away with how on one hand a 488 can be so comfortable and nice to drive, and on the other, still handle so well. I like the GT3RS in many ways, but at the same time I feel it's a bit too compromised as a road car. The Senna is a track machine, and the GT3RS is close. I would hate it if Ferrari went that route, because what they are currently doing with the VS cars, is simply brilliant. A Pista is not a pure bred track machine. It's a 488/F8 where everything has been refined and made to be as good as it can be. Some say a Pista or Speciale is a race car for the road, well that's as far from the truth as one can get. Drive a Ferrari GT3 or Challenge car, and one will see that it is nothing like a race car - and thank god for that. Personally, I think the Senna is one of the cars in decades I have had the least interest in getting to know. I'm quite sure I'm not alone in that regard, and what most want is a nice car that is fun on the track. I suspect this is also why the SF90 Assetto Fiorano pack isn't more popular. Very few like the idea of losing the bumpy road mode, and even more have expressed that they did not want something so low without a lifter. A standard SF90 sits three cm lower than a 488, and has a longer overhang. The Assetto pack lowers the car by another 2 cm and takes away the lifter. If one thought a GT3RS was low, imagine something lower, and then take away the lifter. I know, I digress. But I think it is important to think about the Pista as something else than a track day car. It's not a track machine, it's a well focused road car that is fun on a track. If you want it a bit more GT3RS like, one can install Novi springs and add a touch of camber, as well as lower it 30 mm. Then add a set of either Pagid RSC2 or RSL1 pads, and perhaps CCST rotors, and you're better set for the track.
    I think it's unjust to the car, if we define it and expect something it is not. If one took away the comfort and level of usability, so it became as raw and unforgiving as a GT3RS or 600LT, I can imagine it would blow everything this side of an SF90 out of the water.
    The 765LT is coming and so what? These companies will leap-frog each other to the end of time. The Pista debuted two years ago, snd at thst time Mclaren had nothing that came close. Now they debut the 765LT, and later Ferrari will debut the 812VS which will more than likely surpass the 765. It's a game that never ends, and unless we do direct comparison s as per generation, it's utterly poiness. Fact is that the 488 and 650 are of the same "vintage" and so is the case for the 675 and Pista, despite them being three years apart. The competitor to the F8 is the 720S, and as Ferrari is not doing an F8 VS, the closest is either the 812VS or SF90. LB is the next gen so not really a real competitor, and nor is the SF90 - which I suppose sort of competes with the Senna.

So, what can we learn from that test? We can learn that on two seperate days, there are less than half a second between them, i.e it simply tells us that two fast road cars are equally fast. On a different day with another driver, it cod easily be the opposite. Pur Di Simone behind the wheel of the Pista and I suspect it would be the other way around.

Soap box's free. Knock yourselves out:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

daflk, GoHardGT3RS, Euroryno and 3 others like this.
  6. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Dumbest comment ever. Weak as ****.

7. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Truth hurts, huh?

8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Just a simplistic comment from a simple mind but if it makes you feel good.

anishka, IloveGT, GoHardGT3RS and 3 others like this.
  9. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Completely subjective comment. I find it quite futuristic and nice but then again I’m 30 years younger than you... you like old things I get it.

paulchua, IPO1, Gh21631 and 1 other person like this.
  10. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Nice. No it’s very simple. The Mac is an ugly ass abortion of a car, festooned with every ugly “aerodynamic” appendage that could be thought of combined with an interior that would make GM proud.

My opinion. If you don’t like it, tough.
    There is a reason they sink like a rock price wise, the market is the ultimate decider.

11. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Yep, I like 58 Testa Rossas , 1939 Spartan Executives (google it sonny) and French Delahoyes. All of which predate me 50 years.

With age comes wisdom Grasshopper

tekaefixe and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  12. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    #37 soulsea, Feb 22, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2020
    Indeed the 720 sinks about the same about a 488 which is it's actual competition, so that's not much of a point you're making.

The fact that it punches above its weight both In straight line and track performance (enough to compete with and beat a Pista no less) has been quite the sore spot for Ferrari (and obviously many owners), in fact they messed up their own business model in a panic to compete.

Not too shabby for an 'ugly' car.

If I had a McL dealer service center within walking distance I'd buy one yesterday at current market values ... but last time I drove one its parking sensors were going crazy at 80mph and I've seen first hand some of the reliability issues with many of my friends that have owned McLs.

This whole thread is really silly anyway, and has gone exactly as predicted.

It's been my observation that most Ferrari owners generally care very little about track times, and Ferrari itself minimizes their importance. I attend lots of HPDE and private track days all over the country and I can count in one hand how many Ferrari street cars like the Pista I've seen in the last few years, about the same number as Aventadors (I did see a silver Pista at COTA in December). Lots of GT2RSs, lots of McLs, and all the other usual suspects, but not much in the way of prancing horses other than challenge cars.

As long as the car isn't embarrassing itself on track (which the Pista isn't) compared to others in its class most owners buy cars like the Pista because of its looks, the brand status, brand heritage, brand loyalty, driving enjoyment,overall usable street performance, etc, and not because of ring or 1/4 mile times.

D11, Aorta, skyscorcher and 6 others like this.
  13. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Err, how does that coincide with the fact that you also prefer the 458 design over the 488?
    Seeing that you prefer the 458, which is older than the Pista, aren't you the one whom prefers old things?
    Personally I don't care for the McLaren design language, and I'm not 40 yet. But I do like the SF90, as well as the new Corvette, along with the Jesko and other newcomers. But ever since the P1 and 650S, I think McLaren has been way oof the mark. The Senna is the most ungodly example of a face only a mother can love. What a hideous creature.
    Where both the 488 and F8 seems to divide people, most seem to agree that the Pista just works, and is the best of the XX8 breed.

dmark1 likes this.
  14. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    The competitor for the 488 is the 650S. The competitor for the 720 is the F8.

15. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Obviously lack of experience and taste
    Not really, I'm fortunate to own whatever I want and like. If your position is different that's ok by me. Enjoy what you like.

16. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark

Lol. Ok sure buddy. Have a nice day.

17. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    I bought the 720S over the PIsta.

Gh21631 and tekaefixe like this.
  18. Bendrover

Bendrover Karting

Dec 18, 2005
    Tulsa, OK
    My 720S hasn't had one issue. Just turned 4,000 miles on it today. I put 12,000 miles on my Scud and didn't have one problem with it either. Sometimes **** happens and sometimes it doesn't.

19. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    720 is a solid car! love it and the pista. Different cars, different looks but the mclaren is not ugly. If anything its a spaceship and is shaped by wind. I would say my 720 gets more attention due to its other world looks. Pista well people just love it.

D11, Bendrover, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Ignore the noise, some people just cant help themselves. They have no respect or consideration for other people's choices. Just a weak mentality.

21. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The 458 is the sound, silly I know but still...
    Pista vs 720 in looks, pista of course but Mac nice too.
    Senna is butt ugly (for me) but a great track car (still no race car). It just demolishes other road super cars as it was designed to.
    I wish the SF90 competitor from Mac to be faster, lighter and better looking (not hard, the sf90 is ugly).

again all subjective, just have fun while you can. Very short moment in the blue planet. Enjoy!

Gh21631 likes this.
  22. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    I guess I am the only guy on here that likes, really likes, all sorts of performance cars....but I am more of a race guy, seriously follow all sorts of motorsports.

This is like music...and as a musician...I don’t play just one type or listen to one type of music.

23. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Sorry for your loss

boobernackle and Shadowfax like this.
  24. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #49 Shadowfax, Feb 23, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2020
    There is the loss and then there is the cost of lost opportunity and, the taking on of a further depreciating asset. Yes it's a classic case of loss, loss and even further loss. Had he not mentioned Pista as even being an option then there would be no need for this reminder. It could have been just a simple hey guys I bought a near new used 720 for less than half new price as there was no Pista on offer, so I'm all good all things considering - and everyone would have understood that situation with no qualms or need for any further questions.

dmark1 and boobernackle like this.
  25. islandtrader

islandtrader Formula Junior

Jun 30, 2013
    Have you seen the senna in the flesh? It actually looks very cool. In pictures I agree there is something wrong with it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SoCal to az likes this.