720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto) | FerrariChat

720s faster than Pista in Hockenheim GP (sport auto)

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by tekaefixe, Feb 21, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo

amazing how a car from 2017 and not really the track version can still do this do the Pista.

Next month the 765LT will be launched and will blow everything out of the water (except for the Senna). Props to McLaren, if only they were more reliable...

IloveGT likes this.
  2. soulsea

soulsea Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Apr 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    @soulseainsc
    Here we go again ...

stavura, Rifledriver, BJK and 3 others like this.
  3. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    1'45"5 vs 1'45"9 - not sure how a 0.4s is a real advantage since the cars were not tested on the same day, but still the 720S and Pista are well matched (and the Pista certainly does not seem to be any faster than the 720S).
    I wonder how far the F8 will be when on proper tyres (it will probably be close, as in Fiorano, but it has weight and downforce penalties compared to the Pista).

4. It's a close call but I think this is better than a value thread.

5. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    McL beats Ferrari in terms of performance (don't forget the 720S is not a track-focussed model like the Pista), but struggles with reliability/quality as well as massive depreciation.

DOWORKFCAR and tekaefixe like this.
  6. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    The 765 LT will be quite something...

7. boobernackle

boobernackle Formula Junior

May 28, 2016
    If ANYONE had a choice to buy a 720S or a Pista, which do you think an overwhelming majority would go for?

I rest my case.

DOWORKFCAR, technom3, tres55 and 2 others like this.
  8. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    I will be getting one. Cant wait.

JAM1, IloveGT, tekaefixe and 2 others like this.
  9. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Well I've had both (2 x 720 and 1 Pista) - they are different cars. Looks-wise the Pista in my eyes is just gorgeous, better than anything Ferrari has put out in a while. Just my opinion. Straightline speed is off the charts with the 720 and handling isn't too shabby either. For a regular production car it really does punch above its weight. At current resale prices it is a bargain. Best thing about the 720 is that you can drive the hell out of it as it will depreciate regardless. :) There is a place for both cars.

10. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    You guys and reliability. ferrari guys think mac is unreliable; porsche guys think ferrari/mac are unreliable.

Many of us go out and actually do this tracking thing instead of relying on people with agendas.

Here is same day with both cars on track together. 720s and pista. For those that know buttonwillow then they will know how fast these times are. Pista is being driven by my coach with the owner sitting beside him. (this is for about two laps).

Oh.... 720s has 20K miles on it with about 15K track miles and Pista has about 14K miles on it with close to 10K track miles.
    -------------------------
    Turn in Track Out
    3.81K subscribers

SUBSCRIBED

Best times when I drove: 720s - 1:48.3 w/passenger Pista - 1:50.2 w/passenger

ewright, paulchua, ktu and 5 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

The 720s is pretty reliable... plus not like our ferraris are bullet proof either;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gh21631 likes this.
  12. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Christian Gebhardt 1:46.00 In a Porsche 991 GT3RS and Road and Track did an article on the 991 GT2RS and did a lap on 1:43.5 killing both the Pista and 720s.

Wikdstrate and soulsea like this.
  13. exoticcardreamer

exoticcardreamer Formula 3

Dec 9, 2014
    usa
    Full Name:
    doesitmatter
    Not to confuse the situation.... but one of my friends did a 1:33.45 in a .2gt3rs at Laguna Seca and then did a 1:31 on cup2r tires in the same .2gt3rs. (the 1:31 is a track record for a gt3rs).

Those cup2r tires are pretty magical.

paulchua and mdrums like this.
  14. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Could you imagine if the Mac F1 was retested with modern tires? It might get half its records back. (I really wish old cars got retested on new tires more often. Would be cool to see)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using FerrariChat.com mobile app

DefunctNeurons and Nick_GT like this.
  15. GoHardGT3RS

GoHardGT3RS Karting

Jan 1, 2015
    Germany
    You seem to be a lucky 720S owner then based on what I know from other owners ;-)

technom3 likes this.
  16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I have the feeling that "track focussed" has not the same significance today as before; with modern technology (and electronics adjustability) the same car can be almost optimal for both road and track uses (for the track, it just needs the specific tyres) while before there needed to be incompatible choices in the definition of the car.
    A large part of the "track focus" is now a cosmetic posture. The actual performance difference between the Pista and F8 is really marginal (according to Ferrari drivers, less than half a second on Fiorano when using the same tyres) and while the Pista presents a very different character, the real results are probably only impacted by its lower weight and better downforce - all the rest is only for the projected image.
    Undoubtly McLaren has created a masterpiece with the 720S, but regarding track focus one could also remember that the "track focussed" 675LT was basically not faster than a regular 488 GTB on a track.

tres55, Lesia44 and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I’m not but an owner but my friend has one and 10k no issues. McLaren drivers drive their cars and track them way more than Ferrari owners. When I go to the track in sonoma or laguna u see an overwhelming majority of McLaren or Porsche, ferraris? Not so much... reliability and cost of ownership are a factor too for sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paulchua and Bendrover like this.
  18. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I wouldn’t kick a 720s out of bed. The reality is, if you can a afford a Pista and a few other Ferrari’s at the same time, a 720 is not unreasonable. You can pick one up for sub-$300k without having to buy a freaking Lusso of 3-5 other cars. ;)

With the crazy depreciation and flooded market, why not pick one up. It’s fast, it’s cool, and completely different, so why not add some diversity to your stable of cars.

Yes, they do break down. But last time I checked, Ferrari wasn’t the most reliable either. I don’t buy these cars because they are practical or reliable, I buy them because I love the way they make me feel when I drive them. When they break, they get picked up by the dealer and fixed under warranty.

So although I’ve been frustrated with Mclaren in the past and I probably wouldn’t pick one over a Ferrari, I would certainly consider one as a stable mate to my Ferrari.

Diversity people.....isn’t it great?!

Also, I love tuning cars but wouldn’t mess around with the Pista for obvious reasons. I would certainly tinker with a 720s, which is tons of fun. Think about it....you can lower it, tune it, add exhaust, and all sorts of other goodies, while beating the crap out of it and not have to worry too much. Lol

Now that I think of it, the only reason I probably haven’t bought another Mclaren in years, is because the dealer in Sterling sucks and the people that work there are a bunch of
    a$$holes.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Te difference is infinitesimal, given that they were tested on different days. Also, those Trofeo Rs are pretty special. Anywa, testing has shown that they are very close, with the Ferrari posting usually the better times: http://www.zeperfs.com/en/duel7218-6633.htm

That's funny and of course totally unrealistic.

20. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    So true but I have a solution for that. :)

Il Co-Pilota and Jo Sta7 like this.
  21. Pis7a2020

Pis7a2020 Formula Junior

Dec 17, 2019
    I was going to ask you about that tomorrow hahahhhahah!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

Il Co-Pilota and Gh21631 like this.
  22. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    First of all- who the hell cares that one car is .00005 seconds faster around some randomn track with different tires, different days etc eg .

Im fortunate enough to own both cars and I can tell you you would have to pry the keys from my cold dead hands for either one of them.

Both amazing cars in their own right- but both different. Pista is more aggressive- it’s mean. It’s loud. It’s angry.

720 is lightening quick- it’s fast, nimble, lighter.

And with regards to reliability- maybe actually talk to owners instead of watching you tube videos. The early McLarens (12c, 650) had issues. 720 vastly improved.I’ve had minor inconveniences More than anything. You start the car and you get a suspension error- you drive 30 feet error goes away. Software update took care of that. Happened a few times.

regardless- enjoy the cars for what they are. Variety is the spice of life and McLaren pumping out cars is good for enthusiasts. It makes Ferrari and others up their games which benefits all of us end users.

D11, Aorta, DefunctNeurons and 9 others like this.
  23. tekaefixe

tekaefixe Formula 3

May 10, 2012
    CH
    Full Name:
    Paulo
    Oh I’m not making fun of Mac, it’s probably my next car. They brought the fight to Ferrari and is far Ferrari is getting a whopping.
    Will still own a Ferrari through, they are just damn special...

by the way there are some users that sold their pistas but kept their 720’s...

24. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    Ferrari is not getting whooped.

And I know some that sold their 720 and kept the Pista.

Me? I’ll keep both and enjoy both.

paulchua likes this.
  25. dmark1

dmark1 F1 World Champ
    BANNED Owner

Feb 26, 2008
    Americas Team Headquarters
    Full Name:
    Mark
    I guess that's fine if you are satisfied with driving a car that's ugly as ****.

boobernackle and Il Co-Pilota like this.