Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ? | Page 8 | FerrariChat

Is a Dino considered a Ferrari ?

Discussion in '206/246' started by zvdxb, Jun 10, 2015.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Rory J

Rory J Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

May 30, 2006
    I have his card, I'll find it... Maybe he misunderstood me?? I mentioned the car and what the process would be to start a Classiche inspection of the car and he smiled and said "Classiche is for the important Ferrari models such as..." and began talking about some of the very rare sports racers that were in the room. Very strange, to be sure.

miurasv likes this.
  2. nerofer

nerofer F1 World Champ

Mar 26, 2011
    FRANCE
    They don't want to adress it, because it is much better this way: this ambiguity adds some mystery or mystique to the car; it is actually part of its incredible seduction.

"on ne sort de l'ambiguité qu'à son détriment" (Cardinal de Retz)
    (more or less: "one gets out of ambiguity only to his own loss")

Rgds

JG333SP likes this.
  3. JG333SP

JG333SP Formula 3

Mar 24, 2010
    N Shore, MA
    Full Name:
    Jim G
    Exactly. And that mystery and mistique are part of the ride-enjoy it!

4. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
  5. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred

Freeman,
    They realize that denial is futile! This has always been about semantics (mixed with a modicum of snob appeal on the part of owners of "real" Ferraris), and in today's market (with FIAT in total control), it makes less sense than it ever did. Fred

6. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Looking at the official Ferrari website, seems Ferrari is now “officially” calling the Dino 206GT/246GT/246GTS, “Ferrari Dino” or?

7. 2GT

2GT Formula 3

Aug 25, 2008
    Western NY
    Full Name:
    Fred
    Seems reminiscent of the tale of the return of the Prodigal Son. Only difference: the Dino never went away. Apparently, all is forgiven! Fred

8. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    That is a photo of my car - 03050 - that they have used for the section on the engine.

UroTrash likes this.
  9. TonyL

TonyL F1 Rookie

Sep 27, 2007
    Norfolk - UK
    Full Name:
    Tony
    with your permission hopefully?

lets also not forget that the dino was an important car for Ferrari to produce, imo it saved them from a collapse in sales. it was also the first mid engined car they produced and set the benchmark for the 3*8 series cars using pretty much the same chassis.

Tony

10. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Beautiful!

11. isuk

isuk F1 Rookie

Nov 11, 2005
    UK
    Full Name:
    Iain
    The photo was one taken by their photographer in a shoot I took part in for the Official Ferrari Magazine back in 2014 and they have the copyright Tony so didn't ring to ask me first. My car must be worth considerably more now that it has the official seal of approval on their website though :D The article it featured in was about the various different engine configurations Ferrari have designed and built over the years and they were keen enough to promote the V6 engine in the Dino as being an important part of that lineage.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

UroTrash and TonyL like this.
  12. tx246

tx246 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Shawn
    Hi Marcel,

03930 was purchased new by Arnold Lieberman (not Liebelman).

The error occurred during the warranty info sent into Ferrari.

About 15 years ago, I randomly sent a letter to “Arnold Liebelman” at the address on the original Chinetti documents. I did this on several cars, and surprisingly, got responses from many, as they still lived at the same address. This really shocked me. I never would have expected the people would still live there.

Arnold “Liebelman” called me. His first cousin is/was currently running for Vice-President (Joe Lieberman) and his name was not correct, but he was the one one that bought the Dino new. His last name was actually “ Lieberman”.

I don’t care about the political relationships, as no one would, but it confirmed the spelling error.

In speaking to Arnold, the best story was how he came to buy the Dino.

He later became a Real Estate person, working from a property broker, to a developer, to a development expert and transacting many deals.

None of this history is super important.

The thing I found most interesting from our conversation was how he came to own the Dino.

Arnold had had a good pay from regular land deals. He went to the Bahamas, and was a Craps guy. He ended up on that trip winning $18k. Upon the boat ride back to Miami, he went and paid cash for the Dino.

Arnold would have it for several years, until trading it for a Maserati.

Shawn

C50 likes this.
  13. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    I spotted this brochure for sale on Ebay recently. ". . . the smaller Ferrari cars" seems to me to suggest that it is not just recently that Ferrari claimed the Dino as a Ferrari.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

TonyL and C50 like this.
  14. 4CamGT

4CamGT F1 Rookie

Jun 23, 2004
    Southern California
    Brilliant graphic design!

C50 likes this.