Listening to 812 GTS - anyone NY based? | FerrariChat

Listening to 812 GTS - anyone NY based?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by KarlA69, Feb 6, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Hi

Seems like quite a few people here are still keen to hear an 812 GTS in person, to confirm how different it sounds to the 812 (given that GTS has a particulate filter and may well be quieter/different sound)

I spoke to Wide World Ferrari today and they have a GTS there. Anyone live nearby in NY that has time to go and see it? Would be great to hear your impressions of the sound....

Thanks

LMH and Thecadster like this.
  2. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    What did the Wide World people say about the sound?

3. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    They said it sounded similar to the 812... call me cynical but I’d love to hear from someone who isn’t selling F cars :)

Plus, ideally someone who drives an 812 could specifically compare the two sounds.. at idle and revs..

LI2782, of2worlds and Il Co-Pilota like this.
  4. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    To keep things on the cynical side. I suppose some 812SF owners might be biased towards the 812SF, especially if they wanted a GTS but was turned down. One kind might be as biased and shady as the other:)

Sent from my SM-G930F using FerrariChat.com mobile app

5. junc

junc Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 2, 2007
    Chicago/Laguna Beach
    Full Name:
    Jun
    I agree its good to get another opinion. I called them and the person I spoke with said it sounded very similar to the 812.

6. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Yes, similar - but I’m afraid not identical.

Napoli likes this.
  7. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Sound is subjective and hard to describe in words. We need a side-by-side demo using a Decibel meter while recording to really tell.

8. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Agreed, but you’d need more than a dB meter to differentiate both. Loudness/volume is only 1 component of a Ferrari V12’s exhaust note.

9. Cgk360

Cgk360 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2013
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Right, like I said, listening (live or a recording) and measuring.

10. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    I’ve been at a dealer last December where I had the opportunity to compare the sound of a GTS with a SF. Huge difference at idle , GTS doesn’t seem a sport car at idle . As soon as revs are over 3K sounds are very similar even if SF without GPF seems to be more aggressive . I’ve ordered a 812SF with June 2020 delivery and I strongly hope it will not have a GPF. I’m going to the dealer this afternoon where they will present locally Ferrari Roma and I will ask again if my car will have a GPF . If it will not have I will cancel the idea do trade in it for a GTS after one year

Thecadster and deltona like this.
  11. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    #11 KarlA69, Feb 16, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 16, 2020

12. Gianfranco341

Gianfranco341 Karting

Sep 12, 2017
    Full Name:
    Gianfranco
    Beautiful , I’m going to the dealer within 2 hours , let’s see if the salesman will tell me any news . I doubt it . My SF will be Rosso corsa outside and black with Daytona seats inside and red stitches . Lifter is mandatory if you don’t want to destroy front spoiler

KarlA69 likes this.
  13. Pazzo009

Pazzo009 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2014
    Northern Atlanta Area
    Full Name:
    Marc C
    I know as time goes on we'll slowly find more info out.

But is the GPF something can be removed? If so, will software reprogramming be needed?

Personally, whenever the day comes I get into the GTS, regardless of sound lacking I'd do sport cats ASAP and she would be sound how a Ferrari V12 should.

14. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    Any news from today’s visit, Gianfranco?