CTEK tenders | Page 2 | FerrariChat

CTEK tenders

Discussion in 'Technical Q&A' started by AAA430, Jan 1, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    My friend had a Deltran and it caused a battery fire that burned down his garage!

Ive yet to have a problem with Ctek 7002 unit in 14+ years.... the lowest level Ctek is not very good though and I would avoid it.

2. ClydeM

ClydeM F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Nov 4, 2003
    Wayne, NJ
    Full Name:
    Clyde E. McMurdy
    My Ferrari brand packed it in so I bought the comparable CTEK (maybe the 3300?). It lasted 3-4 years when it wouldn't switch modes.
    Called CTEK & they swapped it no problems. Actually, they gave me an upgraded unit.
    Bought another for the 308 too.
    I did have an odd occurrence: on the 308, it worked for about 3 months & would just blink. That suggested bad battery or bad ground. I swapped both CTEK's around and both have been happy for the last two years.
    I called CTEK about this. They were happy to swap them if I wanted. They simply ask for the serial number.

3. JCR

JCR F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 14, 2005
    H-Town, Tejas
    CTEK are great for keeping batteries topped up. But if your battery is far below charge you need a battery charger not a maintainer/tender.

4. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Just for info; how old was the CTEK and what model was it? I speculate that a battery cell went bad and the CTEK continued to try to get the battery voltage up, the charge did not cut off to trickle or intermittant , leading to heat build up which lead to a hydrogen explosion in the bad battery cell. I was under the impression that this scenario was addressed by CTEK on their chargers but it certainly did not work for you! Thanks for the good info.

5. swift53

swift53 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 17, 2007
    E.S.
    Full Name:
    Alberto
    Hello Randall, I really ignore the age but I assume as old as I have had the car, since 2009
    and it happened 3 years ago. Your description of the event is tops, and no, the CTEK did not
    cut off to trickle / intermittent, and kaboom!

Regards, Alberto

6. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Any idea when they addressed this issue? Could you link where you found this? I use CTEK 3300s for my cars and I'm a little concerned. Thanks!

7. Texas Forever

Texas Forever Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 28, 2003
    Texas!
    If any of you are concerned, why not buy new ones? I don't think they are that expensive.

And... to be frank here, battery tenders are a sign, a sign you have a problem, maybe it's time for an intervention.

8. porphy

porphy Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 9, 2009
    LouisvilleKY/Switzld
    Full Name:
    Randall Gatz
    Very sorry but I did not read this. CTEK was interviewed for a Jay Leno's garage program on cable TV and they claimed they had addressed this issue along with others. Leno did a pretty extensive interview with them. I do not have the reference in my head. My suggestion would be to contact them (CTEK) directly. I have had good responses from them. They seems to be interested in addressing all of their perceived or real problems. I have no interest in CTEK but they have addressed all of my inquiries and problems in a competent manner. I hope they do the same for you. All the best.

PaulK likes this.
  9. PaulK

PaulK F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 24, 2004
    Michigan
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Thanks, I am going to do some more research. The last thing I want is it screwing up my cars!

10. Scott98

Scott98 F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 3, 2004
    Weston, FL
    Full Name:
    Scott
    f355spider likes this.
  11. f355spider

f355spider F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 29, 2001
    USA
    Same here. Have had mine for a few years, seems solidly built. I also own some from Griots Garage and Deltran, all work satisfactorily. Only one that has ever given me trouble has been the factory Ferrari/Ctek. It would never give a fully charged indication, even after several days. Obviously something wrong with the electronics.

Ricambi America likes this.
  12. Ricambi America

Ricambi America F1 World Champ
    Sponsor Owner

I'm using a Granite 9950 on a project car I've got, and it's the cats pajamas.

f355spider likes this.