I can't keep it up! ...the front hood shocks, I mean the front hood shocks! | Page 2 | FerrariChat

I can't keep it up! ...the front hood shocks, I mean the front hood shocks!

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shamile, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    long time ago someone posted such shocks with lifetime warranty, but can not find anymore :(

2. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Thread title says front. Pic of purchase says rear ?????????

3. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    That is correct!

These are not the specific front hood shocks for the Testarossa....they just don't work!

This is the recommendation from Rifledriver that will solve the problem. These shocks are for a rear engine cover for the Ferrari mondial. The mondial uses one and the recommendation is to use two of them on the Testarossa.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Prova85 and pilotoCS like this.
  4. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    To me, this is the kind of thread that makes the F-chat world go 'round. Kudos to all that participated.

raysur and Shamile like this.
  5. Prova85

Prova85 Formula 3

Nov 13, 2003
    So. Shore MA.
    Full Name:
    Kenny K

Cool beans!! Yeah I knew about the Mondials working but didn't check the part numbers.

On another note I had my rear bonnet cartridges re-gassed by http://lstechnologies.ca/ about 12 years ago and they're still holding strong!

Shamile likes this.
  6. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  7. Marc Jackson

Marc Jackson Rookie

Jan 10, 2020
    Cape Cod, Ma
    Full Name:
    Marc Jackson
  8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    hope they will work long time and not like mine stopped working after 2 years
    so still looking for those lasting longer time, also for the rear.

once someone listed here those parts with lifetime warranty, but can not find anymore :(

9. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    The ones that Shamile and I bought have a lifetime warranty.

Nice find Marc. I love the cross referencing.

10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you have me an adress or link?

11. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    See Post #21 Turbo-Joe....

turbo-joe likes this.
  12. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    the stabilus here in germany has only 1 year warranty.
    once I think in an other thread someone posted an adress with lifetime warranty for those shocks/springs

13. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    I think there needs to be some clarification.
    Beyond the OEM stabilus, the only aftermarket one that worked is the Balk-Amp as I posted in the cross reference thread years ago. It has a lifetime warranty but. ....it doesn't last!

Nothing I have tried over the years.....and that's 16 years with this car have worked over a year like when I first put them in.

I have gone with Rifledriver's suggestion and trust it will work. It is also the stabilus brand and probably only has a one year warranty. If the shocks work, they will last a long time.
    I only just replaced my rear OEM stabilus engine cover shocks last year. They were factory installed 29 years ago! lol

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

14. raysur

raysur Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2008
    So. Cal.
    Full Name:
    Jeff
    Shamile,
    When you bought from eBay which company sent them out?

I bought from eBay as well and it was from Lou's (Strut Depot). These have a lifetime warranty.

Hopefully I don't need to use the warranty-- but the job wasn't bad. There is an access panel under the driver's side carpet that mimics the passenger battery compartment. The worst part was slightly compessing a strut to install. I temporarily compressed one with zip ties and it went in perfectly. If I have to do it again it isn't a big deal. No one should be propping their hoods with sticks.

Shamile likes this.
  15. samsaprunoff

samsaprunoff F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2004
    Edmonton, AB Canada
    Full Name:
    Sam Saprunoff
    Good day All,

For those of you that are unhappy with your struts and/or have them fail after a short time then I suggest you contact Lift Support Technologies (LST) in Saskatoon Canada (http://lstechnologies.ca/). I say this, as I worked with LST to come up for replacement struts fir my 512BB. In my case the front and rear clam shells both had knackered struts and at the time (2006) there were no replacements available... and after market ones were too short, too long, lacked the proper mounting fittings, etc. I found LST by simply surfing the net and contacted them to see what they had. They requested me to send them my struts so as to determine if they could be "recharged". They could not, as the internally the seal(s) were completely knackered and they did not have any seals that would be suitable. However, given their abilities and inventory I worked with LST to arrive at a suitable strut for my BB that looked OEM, but improved their functionality. Here, I measured and tested various struts they sent me to determine what I thought was best.

In the final result they modified one of their stock struts with different internal characteristics so that the strut would provide maximum lift when the clam was just opening, then reducing the lifting force around the 1/2 way open mark, and then finally a decelerating until the clam was open. The result is that it takes only a small amount of effort to start the clam to lift and then it opens all by itself with no other intervention. The deceleration aspect was a great feature to include, as it really minimizes stresses when the clam comes to a fully open state. Effectively as the strut is opening there is a point in its travel (about 1/2 way) where it decelerates and allows the clam to come to a slow rest when open... so no or minimal overshoot and so minimal stresses on the clam and its hinges, etc. As for how the struts look... they look OEM with the exception of that my struts do not have an OEM silkscreen part number, etc.

The cost of all this? It was $320 CAN for a total of 4 struts (about $80 CAN each) in 2006. Since then I have had no issues with my struts and my struts are still working perfectly after 14 years. Since then I had them do the same process for my 365 GT4 2+2 in 2015 (cost was $67.50 CAN for each strut) and I am yet again very pleased with the results.

With that said I would suggest to those that have had problems with their struts and/or shortened lifetimes that they contact LST to see if they can provide a suitable and long lasting replacement.

Cheers,

Sam

Shamile and turbo-joe like this.
  16. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Ah...cool! I didn't know that.

Thanks,

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

17. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Hey Sam,

That's a great resource. I think another member here from Canada has also mentioned them before. Can't remember his name but his icon on his user ID is a smiling snowman lol

That would be well worth the cost on vintage cars where the design and stenciling on the shock is no longer available.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice!

18. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
    Here we go! All done and when I pop up the hood....it goes straight up by itself....almost like it saw a tall thin blonde runway model in 5" sparklie heels ;) lol

As mentioned, there's an access panel under the removable carpet (no glue) on the driver side....just 4 10mm bolts.

Shamile

Freeze....Miami Vice! View attachment 2893378 View attachment 2893376 Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2893380 View attachment 2893379 View attachment 2893382 Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login View attachment 2893383

19. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name:
    Shamile
  20. Shamile

Shamile F1 Veteran

Dec 31, 2002
    Lakeland FL
    Full Name: