NASCAR 2020 | FerrariChat

NASCAR 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by GuyIncognito, Feb 9, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Daytona 500 Pole Qualifying is today, so might as well start a thread.

2. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Isn’t there a race today too?

3. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Busch Clash is this afternoon/evening (starts at 3, I think?)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  4. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Thank you, the only NASCAR race I’m remotely interested in. First and last 10 laps ;).

5. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    Stenhouse on pole. Bowman outside the front row

6. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    Bush clash, crash, and trash.

NASCAR, No Actual Serious Consequences Amateur Racing

7. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    now I remember why I stopped watching Cup.

8. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Fell asleep during the Clash. Never thought that would occur.;)

9. SOFTWAREGUY

SOFTWAREGUY Karting

Oct 20, 2004
    Anyone going to the race sun? I m in Florida. Have never been.

10. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    It’s interesting. Too many people though

11. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    #11 BartonWorkman, Feb 12, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
    Caught the last few minutes of qualifying on Sunday. Am I mistaken or were they doing
    single lap runs?

The height of Speedweeks is nuts in Daytona. I was in college there and the entire town gets turned upside
    down as they re-route traffic in and out. It was an exercise in utter futility as my apartment and the campus
    were both within half a mile of D.I.S. and the way they had traffic routed, it would take nearly an hour to get to school. The best option then was to evacuate town and head back Sunday
    night after the whole thing was over.

Long lines everywhere and price gouging on a level not to be believed. The best option for locals (at least)
    was to retreat!

Not sure if the Speedweeks of today draws the same sort of crowds but in late 80's it was a train wreck.

BHW

12. dmundy

dmundy Formula 3
    Owner

Sep 11, 2010
    Unspecified
    Full Name:
    Arthur Dent
    :D

While I don’t care for it, those guys are REALLY good. I’ve driven a road course cup car and, it’s a handful to say the least.

13. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Trump will be doing a lap at Daytona before waving the green flag as Grand Marshall.

14. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    How could that "race" be described as anything but a complete and utter debacle?

Hope poor Newman pulls through.

BHW

15. Whisky

Whisky Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 27, 2006
    Upper Great Plains
    Full Name:
    The original Fernando
    It was, but that's Daytona - and Talladega.

16. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I've taken a few around some short tracks. Really explains why it's so hard for and open wheel guy to be successful in a stock car...like going from a Ferrari to a dump truck. Will be interesting to see how the new car handles.

Clint Bowyer and his brothers used to throw parties at a go cart track before the Kansas race I'd go to and I'd watch Clint beat everyone, pull over and let everyone pass, then work his way back to the front just for fun. These guys are not just pedal monkeys, it takes some serious skill to do what they do.

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    No one can take anything away from NASCAR drivers. When you see one of these cars up close and how
    flimsy they are, you'd have to be mental to want to get into one and go racing. That they're running 200MPH
    nose to tail, door to door the way they do lap after lap, those guys have some serious balls.

Always interesting to see NASCAR drivers reactions when they drive a real racing car such as F-1, Indy Car
    or sports cars. Even Kyle Busch who ran the GTD Lexus at the 24 Hours of Daytona this year was astounded
    by the performance. Well, sure, even GTD cars have like, you know, real racing brakes and aero so of course
    they're going to be fast and nimble compared to a near 4,000 behemoth with scrawny little brakes, etc.

Good to hear Newman has no life threatening injuries after his horror crash. That was pretty scary as the
    Safer Barrier did its job and absorbed a lot of the first impact but when he got hit by the trailing car full on
    into the driver's side cockpit while inverted that looked really serious. Newman must owe a lot to the cockpit
    safety structures they have now as 15 years ago, that would have been a fatal impact.

The other scary aspect was the huge amount of fuel pouring out of the tank after the car came to rest right
    near open flames with Newman still very much strapped in the car. Very fortunate all that fuel didn't explode
    or we'd be eulogizing Newman this morning.

BHW

normv likes this.
  18. GuyIncognito

Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    flimsy? Newman survived (although not sure how badly injured he is) multiple heavy impacts at 200 mph in a 3500 pound car.

those things are tanks.

Davesvt2000, kylec and Texas Forever like this.
  19. normv

normv F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

May 3, 2005
    Mishawaka In
    Full Name:
    Norm
    True, sure barton was referring to the Sheet metal used to surround the Tank that stuff is very flimsy.

20. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    The good news is it sounds as though Newman is awake, alert and talking to doctors
    at Halifax.

I'm aware of the internal crash structure in NASCAR cars these days. They nearly resemble
    a open wheel cockpit within the roll bar structure. Definitely what saved Newman's life
    as that most certainly would have been fatal 10-15 years ago. That was an enormous
    impact he absorbed while flying inverted through the air. Perhaps one of the worst shunts
    I've ever seen and I've seen plenty.

BHW