6 Speed Conversion | Page 5 | FerrariChat

6 Speed Conversion

Discussion in '360/430' started by rsmitchell10, Dec 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jason Crandall

Jason Crandall F1 Veteran

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    That’s totally nuts to spend that kind of money to convert an F1 car to an old fashioned stick shift. Just go buy a factory 6 speed.

So:

19k mile F1 F430 $91k + 6 Speed Conversion $35k = $141k? The math still doesn’t add up.

I don’t trust BAT auction data. If I’m spending north of $100k on a 430 it’ll be an ultra low mile, 2008 with carbon brakes.

2. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    gated haters gonna hate....... if you already own a 'superior F1' but want the gated experience.... this is a good option.

funny the fodder i've endured being excited about the gated swap avail.... from people accusing me of being part of the co that does the swaps... to accusing me of 'affilliating with felon's'....... jeez this is supposed to be a fun car hobby... not an internet slander game. lighten up people.... these are cars..... intended to be used for your enjoyment......

when I get the resources and time.... i'll be swapping a beat f1 360 and making my own lightweight hpde car...... happy to sell F1 people the left over f1 parts cheap.

nicholasn, J360M, kes7u and 2 others like this.
  3. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    That there is a market at all for a swap and people are willing to pay those prices shows how appealing the 3-pedal experience is.

The key is the F1 box WAS state of the art for its time. Now, it's one shift away from a blinking F1 light in the dash, the car not moving at a stoplight and people honking at laughing at "the guy in that POS Ferrari". Anyone can see just how reliable the aging F1 box is by pursuing the titles on this section "Help! Car won't go into gear!" or "F1 troubles"....

nicholasn, Mikael-F360, HH11 and 4 others like this.
  4. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Yes, we've heard that exact comment many times.

Here is the rub. There just aren't that many gated 360s out there in relation to F1 cars. If you find the perfect color combination F1 car which is also extremely well sorted, and for the appropriate price, then doing a conversion on that car makes complete sense. Rather than trying to find the perfect color combo, well sorted gated car for the appropriate price, from a SEVERELY smaller group of candidates. May just not be possible. Remember. They're not making these anymore. Can't just walk into the Ferrari store and order one.

Kevin

nicholasn, mathewr, JaguarXJ6 and 2 others like this.
  5. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    And they never will make them any more.

Also, seems like 91+35 giving you a car worth 141 seems to stack up pretty well, no?

Part of the high value put on manual cars is down to the rarity; if these conversions do turn out to be quite prolific, then it will be interesting to see if the same premium is maintained for manual cars.

kes7u likes this.
  6. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Brogen- good points

a driver will get the gated experience at lowest cost

a collector will chase down the factory variant

I think the gated swap business is at a sweet spot of avail and demand.

will the proliferation of non oem gated swap cars hurt or help value of factory gated cars?

who knows.

but I applaud the swap guys for having the vision to fill this niche.

exciting for gated enthusiasts.

7. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    You only quoted part of my post which took it out of context.

I have no issue with folks modding their Ferris however they like. I'm only commenting on the folks who are trying to make value claims based on less than reliable BAT data. $91K + $35K = $141K.

8. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    1. No.
    2. Your numbers are based on a BAT/he said she said, internet auction.

9. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    I just quoted your numbers! :p

10. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    If you were reading the thread you’d see they’re not my numbers.

11. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    how many cars have been converted from the old Gated Shifter to the modern F1?
    Any known conversions?

I'll buy your dinasour gated shifter parts. PM ;) ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  12. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Why convert when you can just buy the real thing? It works both ways. Quit acting like these cars don’t exist without the parts you’re selling.

one4torque likes this.
  13. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Buy the real thing
    Buy a cheap f1 and swap it
    All good my friend.

jehu999 likes this.
  14. Jason Crandall

Mar 25, 2004
    ATL/CHS/MIA
    Full Name:
    Jason
    Now you’re agreeing with me? That’s all I’ve been saying.

15. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Yup. Probably different buyers for different cars. No reason to bicker.

Have a super Sunday!

out for coffee.

16. Nachtfalter

Nachtfalter Formula Junior

Feb 28, 2012
    So-Cal
    There’s a strong argument for buying a nicely sorted F1 for cheap, waiting for the F1 to fail (and it will) and do the swap. Has anyone bought the kit from Art and did it themselves?

I would imagine you could sell as many kits as you can make. Even guys not thinking about it, would once facing a hefty F1 repair bill.

one4torque likes this.
  17. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    OK. I am no longer taking you out of context. My original post stands.

These cars are modular as far as F1 vs gated. This isn't like converting a 458 or newer car. You end up with the EXACT SAME car.

And none of us are selling the parts. Was that directed towards one of us?

Kevin

one4torque likes this.
  18. kes7u

kes7u Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2017
    Shorewood, MN
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    You continually change your argument!

He said that buying an F1 and converting vs buying an original gated are BOTH good options.

You claim that comment is simply agreeing with you.

Yet you have continued to state that buying the gated is clearly the preferable route. Which is NOT what he is saying.

I have stated why that may not be the case. You claim to be taken out of context. I give up.

You may have the last words, and I will not respond. I think it is fruitless.

Kevin

19. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Kevin- yeah I’m just going to assume things are hard to translate via keyboard.

beat f1 360 pricing continues to settle lower and lower. Making the swap a good option.

20. Toonfosi

Toonfosi Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 13, 2014
    Valley Village, CA
    Full Name:
    Chad Woods
    That’s the question that myself and I assume many other DIY types (who are also quietly observing this thread) are wanting to know the answer to...

21. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Well I just DIY converted my 612, and I can tell you the tricky part isn’t the parts, well not the installation anyway, it’s the electronic configuration. It has been figured out now though (no thanks to Ferrari) without the need to physically swap any ecus, but I would want to know whether the package includes a solution (and there are several potential solutions) for re-configuring the complete electronics package to manual operation.

edited to add:

In fairness some of the parts are quite tricky now, as supplies for certain items are exhausted. For example I had to design my own clutch pedal from scratch and get it machined from billet. I understand the shift tower is now NLA, so Art’s remastered version is a great option to have.

22. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    Just ordered Fabspeed headers and sport cats, so I'll be taking my 360 to Art when they come in. We're going to discus converting a 612 to manual. :)

kes7u, one4torque and brogenville like this.
  23. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    Good man. I understand Art has already started gathering v12 parts for future 612/599 conversions.

Give me a shout if you need a clutch pedal. ;)

G. Pepper likes this.
  24. APA#1

APA#1 Formula 3

Nov 5, 2003
    Central Florida
    Why solution did you come up with, curious.

25. brogenville

brogenville Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 24, 2012
    UK
    Full Name:
    Robin
    In a nutshell... all end of line modules proxy aligned to operate in manual mode, but body ecu configured to accept can bus messages with TCU identification.

In addition 360trev modified the engine ecu flash ROMs so that they’re in manual mode. Since the base flash files are from my car, I don’t have to worry about using a flash from a manual car that isn’t compatible with the build for my car. Something to watch out for anyone thinking about doing this, as Ferrari made loads of changes to the engine firmware, and some will depend on the particular options a given car in a given region came with. I could have just flashed a ROM from a factory manual car, but the consequences would have been unknown.

one4torque and G. Pepper like this.