350 Can Am 0858 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

350 Can Am 0858

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by Napolis, Jun 24, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Napolis

Napolis Three Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    P4.

There is some question about that history however.

Ferrari states one thing.

The original Le Mans Records say another.

Maybe they swapped the chassis plates with 0856.

If the Le Mans records are correct they would have had to swap the engines as well.

When I pointed that out to the they really didn't have much of an answer...

Personally I rely on my own research and make myself happy.

2. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004

If ferrari switched numbers (they did this often) They have a written record of it. They record everything!!!

3. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    They do and they say they did but I have the original Scrutinising documents from Le Mans 67 and both the engine and chassis numbers are clearly listed and verfied by the official at Le Mans and if they switched the identity of 0856 and 0858 at Le Mans 67 they would have had to switch BOTH the chassis plates and the engines.

4. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    #79 retired, Jul 1, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    They usually just change the last diget of the number on the engine and the chassis plate with out removing anything. They use a file and a number punch. I had a race car they did this to. They have it on there records
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    Interesting!

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    So your saying since the beginning of Ferrari they have written records of any changes they made on their race cars? Sure wish Chiti had taken that practice with him when he moved to ATS and AutoDelta!!

Tom Tanner/Scale Designs/Ferrari Expo 2011-Chicago April 2011

7. retired

retired Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2004
    I dont think from day one....But from the late 50's early 60's they started. Records are only on Factory team cars not on customer cars

8. Il Vecchio

Il Vecchio F1 Rookie

Dec 27, 2007
    Near Pasadena, CA
    Full Name:
    Peter B.
    +1. From readign Ed McDonough's book on the T33 as well as the book on Alfa in F1, Autodelta comes across as chaotic. Chiti seems like he was more intereste in stray pets than systematic development. This also explains Alfa's erratic results in F1 in the 1980's.

9. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    That is good. I always wondered about the slightly hazy history of chassis number Dino #0834 and often thought it may have had a chassis plate swap in late 1967 with #0842 due to the #0842 accident. They should have records since it was still a factory car.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Alfa should have fired Chiti after 1967. He was a good engine man but a poor team manager.

Sorry, back to #0858.

11. Juan-Manuel Fantango

Juan-Manuel Fantango F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 18, 2004
    Full Name:
    Juan
    I just found this youtube accidentally, as well as this thread as I searched 712 on Fchat...go to 6.37 for the race, although the first portion is nice as you see the cars up close at Spa as they enter the track.

This past year I was privileged to see one of the Ferrari CanAm cars at a private estate in the NE. Seems I remember a story about the Factory selling the same car multiple times, but with different number, but I could be mistaken about this as I was in awe of what was before me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jnVKQbmWMRw&feature=related

12. Birel

Birel Formula 3

Sep 12, 2005
    Brisbane
    Full Name:
    Andrew Turner
    Seems like the "good old days" never went away.....great stuff.

13. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #88 Bryanp, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2017
    See the attached pic where we demonstrate that the Factory added an extension to the reverse lock-out on 0556(0446)MD (in order to also lock-out first gear) in summer 1955. The Factory documented modifications on a "Foglio Montaggio Cambio" - this mod was made to our car while it was owned and raced by privateers Francois Picard and Gino Munaron; the car was later traded in to the Factory and it became a works car for one race. I have no idea how consistently these "cambio" records were kept.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

14. Bryanp

Bryanp F1 Rookie

Aug 13, 2002
    Santa Fe, NM
    #89 Bryanp, Dec 18, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
    ok, I spoke w/ my father after I made the previous post, and it appears that I got the previous post entirely wrong. While "cambio" can mean "alteration" as well as "transmission", the context of this particular sheet is that it is a snippet from the original Assembly Data Sheets that, in fact, dealt with the gearbox section of the transaxle. It is not a sheet that was created after production to document a modification. Picard apparently asked for the lock-out extension during the car's assembly. The section below the part of the sheet that I posted provides the details of the gear ratios.

a typical set of mid-1950s ADS's are as follows:

Cover sheet
    Foglio Montaggio Motore - Engine assembly sheet
    Relazione Sala Prova - dyno room tests
    Foglio Montaggio Cambio - Transmission assembly sheet
    Foglio Montaggio Ponte - Rear axle assembly sheet
    Foglio Montaggio Autotelaio - Chassis assembly sheet

Sorry for the confusion.

15. .:bigred12

.:bigred12 Karting

Apr 26, 2010
    Clarence/Ithaca, NY
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Jim, don't you have the original tail from 0858? Wasn't it used in returning 0854 back to the coupe configuration?

16. Napolis

Honorary Owner

Oct 23, 2002
    Full Name:
    Jim Glickenhaus
    #91 Napolis, Jan 1, 2011
    Last edited: Jan 1, 2011
    No I have the original spyder tail of 0858 which it was fitted with on 0858 during it's last race as a P4 at Brands Hatch in 1967 and I've now fitted to 0846.

0854 is being restored with her original coupe tail which came with her when I bought her. When I bought her she was incorrectly fitted with 0858's spyder tail.

17. Peloton25

Peloton25 F1 Veteran

Jan 24, 2004
    California, USA
    Full Name:
    Erik
  18. Frank_Ford

Frank_Ford Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Terra
    Full Name:
    Frank Ford
    Regarding the photo of the #21 car captioned "#0858 with Mike Parkes at Le Mans 1967".

Interestingly, the history that RM Auction had published in 2009, and subsequently also used by John Collins, attribute 0858 to "Mairesse-Beurlys - 3rd - number 24".

Has this apparent discrepancy ever been resolved, which car was #21, which was #24 that year - and what source each view relied on?

19. BigTex

BigTex Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 6, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Full Name:
    Bubba
    Thanks for bringing this thread back up....what is the latest???

20. Frank_Ford

Frank_Ford Karting

Mar 28, 2014
    Terra
    Full Name:
    Frank Ford
    >> I have the original Scrutinizing documents from Le Mans 67 and both the engine and chassis numbers are clearly listed and verified by the official at Le Mans <<

Since there are histories reporting 0858 having been the 2nd place car #21 (Parkes/Scarfiotti ), or the 3rd place #24 (Mairesse/Beurlys) as written by RM and Talacrest, I hope you don't mind me clarifying what the original LM documents indicated?

21. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    At the time of the 2009 Maranello auction the factory claimed a totally different history than most of the journalists and historians had researched and stated over decades. In the end, the auction company preferred to follow the factory......

Marcel Massini

22. tongascrew

tongascrew F1 Rookie

Jan 3, 2006
    tewksbury
    Full Name:
    george burgess
    Let's not forget LeMans 1960. Ferrari did the s/n switch of chassis at the Le Mans scrutinizing and not only got away with it but the car won. So why not try it again a few years later. The result was not as spectacular but the scrutinizing results were just as good. The officials just read the numbers as shown at the time on the chassis member and the engine block tonga's crew

23. GHG

GHG Formula 3

Jan 29, 2008
  24. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Looks like it. Rear clam should have 7 slats on the rear side of the body, not 8. Also the livery is as at Brands Hatch, 1967, where the car was a Spyder, not a Berlinetta.

25. wpbekker

wpbekker Formula Junior

Dec 27, 2006
    Holland
    Full Name:
    Wouter Bekker
    Strange livery in this car anyway. Spyder #0860 had #6 at the 1967 BOAC 500...