NEW MODEL KIT THREAD | Page 155 | FerrariChat

NEW MODEL KIT THREAD

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by F1tommy, Jan 3, 2008.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. spirot

spirot F1 World Champ

Dec 12, 2005
    Atlanta
    Full Name:
    Tom Spiro
    I'm pretty much done with Hiro... the quality is not there. I don't mind the craftsmanship required to make them nice but when the overall size of the parts don't fit ... and they come bent and warped... its not worth $1000 that it takes to get them completed. my 917 kit I did was a disaster, and once I got it together the wheel base was about 23mm off... and that was not my build fault.... that is the kit maker.

2. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Tamiya Static Models at Nuremberg Toy Fair 2020
    ◇ 1/24 Mazda MX-5 RF
    ◇ 1/24 Ford Mustang GT4
    ◇ 1/24 Toyota GR Supra
    ◇ 1/24 Toyota Celica XX 2800GT
    ◇ 1/24 Toyota Celica Supra Long Beach GP Marshal Car
    ◇ 1/24 Toyota Supra 3.0GT Turbo
    ◇ 1/12 Porsche 934 Jägermeister (w/Photo-Etched Parts)
    ◇ 1/12 Porsche 934 Vaillant (w/Photo-Etched Parts)

3. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011

4. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  5. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    That Mustang certainly is a nice surprise from Tamiya!! I see a ton of street-oriented variations coming out of that one...

6. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Wow...Did not see this coming from Italeri in 1/12th scale!!!. Two 1/12th car kits in 1 year. The Alfa Monza must have done well :)

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Freerange72 likes this.
  7. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    amerikalei likes this.
  8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    It would be nice if they re-tooled the Matra to represent a Cosworth-powered MS10. That was the only version of the car that won races!

9. Kitbash

Kitbash Karting

Dec 13, 2012
    Yeah, and Ebbro needs to pony up the licensing funds and do a few torpedo-bodied Ferraris and McLarens...the cars of the mid-sixties. The Hiro ones are too expensive and fiddly to build. I'm ebaying all my Hiro stuff...too much of a PITA to bother with.

10. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  11. amerikalei

amerikalei Karting

May 23, 2011
    This reminded me, Schuco did make a Matra/Ford in the early 70's. A German friend gave me the "kit" one year. While not a Tamiya or Ebbro level recreation, it does have working shocks and steering. It was part of a series they did around that time; Stommelen's Brabham, a BMW F2 car, a Lotus 25-ish model, a Ferrari 312. I think the last one of the series was a Tyrrell.

12. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    Schuco also made Niki's BRM but it was not very detailed.

Well Hiro has messed up another 1/12th kit. The body looks off in the rear and the tires are to big this time. I do like the vents a lot better than the ones on the Norev 1/12th diecast and it is full detail. But in general the Norev T35 has a beter shaped body and better tires if you can believe that!!

This kind of arrogant company needs to get it together and ask for research help on future projects.

Sfumato likes this.
  13. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    Thanks again Tom for showing this kit, and your comments, which are right on target. For the prices of these kits... they need to be better, AND accurate. Yes, those tires are way off, and the body shape is too. Aside from the rear being noticeably bad, the front in profile from the cowl to the radiator shell is also off - the angle is too steep. What a huge disappointment! I really wanted to get one of these kits, but have now crossed it off my list.

Sfumato and F1tommy like this.
  14. the_stig

the_stig F1 Rookie

Sep 19, 2005
    I've been so tempted to buy one or more of these but I resisted - knowing that my heirs would likely find them still as a box of bits after my demise. The final straw in the struggle was a comment from a friend who is a renowned builder - the kind of guy who delights in learning arcane skills, the kind of guy who lives for making a motorcycle chain from individual photo-etched links, the kind of guy who can throw out half the bits in a kit and make better ones from sheet brass himself - when he told me he had broken down and bought a 1/12 MFH, opened it, and sadly closed the lid and put it in the back of a closet never to be opened again as he considered it to be unbuildable.

Sfumato likes this.
  15. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    For the FPPM 1/12th Italeri Monza transkits Fernando Pinto is now also doing a Nuvolari 1/12th figure. They should go along well with the 1933 Mille Miglia and Lemans cars he is doing as well as the Monaco 1932 winner.

Sfumato likes this.
  16. Lusso123

Lusso123 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 18, 2010
    NY
    Full Name:
    Marshall Buck
    I'm looking forward to these transkits.

17. Carlos Cobra

Carlos Cobra Rookie

Nov 16, 2014
    I agree completely at any detail, and (if you like to read it),I write a statement to this Bugatti-Kit by facebook at the Model Factory Hiro Built site.

Sfumato likes this.
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    ktu likes this.
  19. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    FPPM Fernando Pinto has decided to make a new set of Englebert tires for his 1933 Alfa Romeo 8C Lemans winning car transkit in 1/12th scale. They will replace the Italeri 8C models Pirelli tires wich are good for the Monaxo winner but not the Lemans winner.

Sfumato likes this.
  20. Sfumato

Sfumato F1 World Champ

Nov 1, 2003
    Llanfairpwllgwyngyll, Anglesey, Wales
    Full Name:
    Angus Podgorney
    The T35 is sad. Hood slope I agree. The lacing on side is too high, hood sides look short, and you pointed out tail. :(
    Tires too big, a few vintage racers use them, but looks like a kit car on them. Sigh. I have the big scale built by ?? Chemo brain has ruined recall. :(
    Fernando is great and fast to market. T59 mentioned by him long ago, but he's been busy.
    Be well all y'all. Gonna get worse sadly.
    Hope someone does a RIMAC and a Battista for fun. Battista is gorgeous. Hope springs eternal, lots of other stuff better choices for now.

21. hanspeterk.

hanspeterk. Rookie

Jan 26, 2013
    Hallo,
    where can I buy kits from "Gdetailfactory" (Giovanni Castello) - is there an e-mail address?
    Peter

22. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
  23. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007