Mounting a cell phone holder in a 328 GTS | FerrariChat

Mounting a cell phone holder in a 328 GTS

Discussion in '308/328' started by LuigiVampa, Feb 3, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    I've always been directionally challenged and have always relied heavily on GPS to get around. I was an early adopter when they were little more than a moving map, on a tiny map, at a cost of $2k.

I was looking at my "new to me 328 GTS" and see no obvious place to mount a phone holder and don't really want to glue something to the dashboard.

I am thinking about getting one which suction cups to the window but can't thank of anything better.

Has anyone come up with a novel solution?

2. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats a real problem. I make my passenger hold it. But for the most part when I am driving the Ferrari I don't care where I am going or when I get there.

3. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I screwed an appropriately sized piece of aluminum onto the top of the forward section of the console then used a suction mount wireless charger/holder. I also added an extra power port for the charger.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Oops, just realized you've got a 328 so this won't work for you :(

4. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Though it isnt a Ferrari, I use the windshield suction kind in my DD and its excellent and requires no drilling or attaching to anything like the dash or vents or anything permanent.

Here is Texas the UV eats them and I buy a new one at Ross about once a year at a cost of <$10.

I suspect the 328 is garaged so the phone mount would likely last a long time.

5. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    I use a windscreen suction mount thing in the corner of the windscreen. I keep meaning to do something to wire it in to the hella socket under the steering column but right now I just drape a cable round the back of the binnacle & down to an additional 12V socket mounted under the centre console vents (below the radio)

6. mike996

mike996 F1 Veteran

Jun 14, 2008
    Full Name:
    Mike 996
    I use my iPhone regularly in my 328 GTS for guidance and I just toss it on the passenger seat or lay it on the console and listen to whatever it tells me. I never actually look at it so having it mounted somewhere that I can see it is not important to me; I just need to hear the instructions.

If I'm going to be driving far enough that iPhone battery power is a problem, I just use a cigarette lighter adapter/the OEM cig lighter for power to the phone.

7. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    What did you do before portable GPS navigation was a thing?

8. Mule

Mule F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 25, 2003
    Alaska
    Full Name:
    Mule
    I have a Garmin GPS with the sandbag base. Works fine on the dash to the right of the instruments in front of the vents. They might make a cell phone one, too.

They do...

Attached Files:

9. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    Got lost, regularly, but also we used to use a big spiral bound book, I think it was called Thomas Guide that had all of the city streets mapped out on grid pages.

10. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
  11. kiwiokie

kiwiokie Formula 3

Aug 19, 2013
    Tulsa, OK
    Full Name:
    John McDermott
    No way???!!!! Crazy idea

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

12. thorn

thorn F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 7, 2012
    Tallahassee, FL
    rjlloyd likes this.
  13. rocket50

rocket50 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 9, 2004
    Nashville
    Full Name:
    Rod
    There are some cell phone holders that go into a CD player if you have one of those in your 328.

14. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    It does retract.

Matt

15. NYC Fred

NYC Fred F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 28, 2010
    Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Full Name:
    Fred C
  16. PowerFrank

PowerFrank Rookie

Feb 5, 2014
    Texas &amp; SoCal
    Full Name:
    Frank
    I have been dealing with the same issue. One thing that occurs to me, a magnetic mount would work with the ashtray door (just tried it) I don't know if you would need to mess with the setup in anyway to keep the door from opening or loosening, but that would be a convenient location to an aux input or charging cable.

17. Brian A

Brian A F1 Rookie

Dec 21, 2012
    SanFrancisco BayArea
    Full Name:
    1983 US 308 GTS QV
    +1.

There is a good place to mount a phone for navigation on the door side of the windshield.

I have been finding it handy to have Google Maps up as I drive on unfamiliar winding roads. A quick glance can give good insight to what the curves are like ahead.

For navigation itself, my head unit has Bluetooth. It is great getting verbal instructions through the cars speakers since the 308 is a little loud to hear the phone.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. sstefan

sstefan Rookie

Oct 20, 2016
    austria
    i have a solution for blaupunkt radios. I write in German and translate via google, because my English is not so good.
    Blaupunkt radios have holes for installation. this adapter into these holes:
    https://www.amazon.de/Handy-Halter-Radioschacht-zum-Einstecken-Radio-L%C3%B6cher/dp/B0037X8PK4.
    then an adapter for the cell phone: https://www.brodit.com/productList.html?brand=Apple&model=iPhone+7&pn=prod
    you screw the adapter for the cell phone onto the holder and slide it into the holes. holds very well and can be removed at any time. hope i have expressed myself clearly

19. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I tried the windshield, it’s too much of a Prius/Uber driver image for me. If I’m going to mount the phone I want to at least keep it stealth.

20. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    It looks like I am going to go with a windshield mount for the moment and think about something cleaner in the future. I don't like to modify, drill holes, or otherwise change things on vintage cars.

What did I do before GPS? I got lost a lot!

21. Iain

Iain F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2005
    UK
    Much safer on the windshield than l0ooking down at the centre console to try & squint at a map on a phone

22. barabba

barabba Formula Junior

Jun 7, 2007
    Ticino / Zurich
    I have this one too and works well.

23. kcabpilot

kcabpilot Formula 3

Apr 17, 2014
    California SF bay area
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I suppose it depends on how you use Google maps. I listen to the audio and glance at the inset arrows that tell me if I'm going to be turning left or right, don't ever "squint at a map"

24. LuigiVampa

LuigiVampa Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 17, 2020
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Good point as I never keep the audio on as I don't find it helpful.

25. Rosso328

Rosso328 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 11, 2006
    Central FL
    Full Name:
    Paul
    I have a Jawbone Bluetooth earphone with a custom molded earpiece like you see the race drivers inserting. It’s a tiny bit tricky to get it properly seated, but once you do, it’s not moving, it’s 100% comfortable for hours and hours, and you can hear the directions loud and clear no matter what car you’re driving. I don’t usually look, I just listen.

And since I spend so much time in rental cars all around the country it’s a 100% portable solution.