430 - What to look for if I keep this car another 5+ years | FerrariChat

430 What to look for if I keep this car another 5+ years

Discussion in '360/430' started by houtie123, Feb 2, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I'm at a crossroads . Keep my 08 F1 spider with 12000 miles or trade for a 458 spider.

I love my 430 and it's given me little issues in my 6 years of ownership. Original clutch, mk2 cats, capristo exhaust. I'm taking it to my Iindie next month and asking him to go over with a fine toothcomb to see what might need doing in the next 1-2 years : a PPI if you will - to allow me to decide if it's a keeper.

Apart from normal sporadic consumables ( brakes, ball joints) what else would it make sense to be looking out for on the car? Im thinking preventative - Age related perhaps more important than mileage. Engine mounts, window seals, discs etc? Car has always been cocooned and stored 8 months a year

Greatful for any advice since post PPI ill do the maths and hopefully keep head over heart......

2. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    #2 flash32, Feb 2, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2020
    Check the following

Rear tail lights for being loose
    Motor mounts
    Trans mount
    Clutch wear using SD or equivalent
    Flamblocs
    Clutch Bloc for cracks

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

3. cole328

cole328 Formula Junior

May 9, 2014
    This is a great thread, as I am in a comparable
    boat, and would love to get some feedback from the very knowledgeable friends on this website. My only difference is that mine is an 07 with 18,000 miles, but other than that, has also been a flawless car. My main difference from you, is that I fortunately live in Florida, so I drive mine at least weekly, which hopefully helps. Love to get the kids through college, and then trade up to the 458

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

4. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    Have your mechanic check your clutch with the computer. I replaced my clutch at 12k mi. I do a lot of spirited driving. You might get more if you don't drive it hard. Has you mechanic checked your clutch life before?

5. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    I suspect as the 360 and 430 get older they will become "cheaper" to repair as I have seen parts sourced from other OEM manufacturers that will work as well or better than the OEM, more expensive parts from Ferrari (several threads on just that here on this forum).

For me it's the electronics. The 458 has way more than the 360 or the 430 and IMO, that is a weak link in an otherwise very beautiful and advanced engineered car. I know from experience that electronics and tech can be extremely expensive to repair. And to add, you have to like the "new" screens in the 458 vs the more analog "look" of your 430. Now some may say that cost to repair is not an issue. The fact that the 458 (most all now out of warranty) will have it's issues most all exotics have, so far, have not been huge ticket items other than the reported early trans problems and brake issues associated with the pre-2012 cars. But that also looked to me like a rare occurrence. But one also must consider that the 458 has not been around as long as the 430. Are there issues lurking that will rise up as these 458s reach the age of your 430? For me it's all about joy of ownership. Nobody wants a fun car to become a real drag on your excitement or wallet.

I'm the kind of guy that likes to stick with what I know-- as in my car. I know what I have and it seems like you too have a really nice well cared for 430 that you obviously love owning. The 458 is beautiful and I have driven one. But I feel like the 360 does it for me. Ask yourself, what is it that you think you will gain by stepping into a 458? That's really it in a nutshell for me.

6. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    What are doing to only 12 k out of a clutch, mine is 22% at that miles

7. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    That does sound like spirited driving! Mine is around 40% but my indie's advice is not to over-rely on the electronic readout - he'll have a proper look next time the car is in for a major. The general advice I see on this forum is that if you drive "normally" (whatever that is) a clutch should be OK for say 30k. But you need to care for the darn thing, like not reversing uphill and making sure you're clicking into N at the lights.

8. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    I agree - more electronics to me is a turn off - all that does to me is make the car age faster. So many modern cars have the equivalent of an Ipad welded on to the dash. Between the 430/458 looks wise, I could drive either : I don't think either will date quickly. As you say I "know" my car and I know how its been driven and cared for - that makes a big difference to the psychology of ownership. If I went the 458 route it would mainly be for simply getting a car thats maybe 6-8 years old, not 10-12. Regardless, I'm aware that anything could go at any time and you need to funds to cover it off.
    Is there anything else I need to be covered off in my 430 "PPI" ? From a quick test drive, my indie has suggested to check the road springs and rubbers. Also, as I have the CCBs, he thinks there is a slight bind and suggests the calipers are overhauled with stainless steel pistons and new seals. I still have the Mk2 headers - should I budget for these to be replaced - they seem fine now. I realise the list could be endless but for those of you in a similar position, what would you prioritise to check with a view for another 3-5 years ownership?

nickorette likes this.
  9. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    All good questions but better answered by the 430 guys here. Some real competent folks on this board.
    Me, I have a 360 as stated in my post. But with that said, I have been on the forum here for a while now and most don't seem to have very many long term complaints about the 430 when it comes to repairs, down time, or costs involved. Overall, I try to have at least $5K to $8K on hand for any repairs I have to make-- especially ones I can't or don't want to take my time to do.

Personally, I am pretty competent at all repairs to all my cars. I've pulled engines and done my own clutch replacements as well as the smaller, easier jobs like brakes and light electronic repairs. But the last one; electronic repairs, are the most concerning to me. I have run new harnesses in my older cars, installed many electronic reliant upgrades, but without a doubt, the level of the electronics in my 360 are concerning enough to me as a hands on owner. The 458 on that front scares the hell out of me. As I tell all my customers, all those gimmicks and "improvements" are terrific when they are working --- but can be and usually are a major headache and wallet buster when they are not. I can only imagine how many capacitors are linked into the 458 system-- an electronic component that in and of itself has a life span no matter how well you take car your car. I could tell you a real horror story concerning a low mileage, well cared for, Acura NSX concerning the electronics and specifically the complete dash functions failure--- Not only the money involved in rectifying the problems but the complete and utter lack of cooperation from Honda/Acura in assisting in information and repair parts.

houtie123 and Apollo 11 like this.
  10. frankgoodson

frankgoodson Rookie

Dec 25, 2008
    I drive mine hard. The way they're meant to be driven. I also have done a few track weekends.

11. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    I do the shopping in mine,

houtie123 and EastMemphis like this.
  12. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    I have to ask why do you say check for loose taillights ?? the others I get but ??

13. BrettC

BrettC Formula 3

Aug 13, 2012
    Calif
    Full Name:
    Brett
    Ok, for me it's also the electronics, or.....lack of. I really like my 04 gated spider. Makes me work it to drive but has NEVER failed me around any corner. I have driven all the new Ferrari's but still love the analog style of my car. I guess I still need a challenge driving my race car. I, personally, would keep it. Cheers

14. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Common issue with f430 ..the vibration causes the lights to crack at post .. and you either need to buy new ones or look for a repair kit. I believe you can fix issue before it happens with rubber type washers in screw posts to handle/ absorb vibration

LARRYH likes this.
  15. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    Oh I get it sounded kind of odd reading the rest of your post.. thanks

16. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Most of my posts are done in hurry and short and unfortunately sometimes the point is not made correctly

The information is always there .

Thanks ..will try to be more detailed

LARRYH likes this.
  17. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Help me out - What are Flamblocs? Is that an Americanism?

18. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Here hope this helps Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    Also known as A-arm bushings.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

flash32 likes this.
  20. houtie123

houtie123 Formula Junior

Dec 9, 2007
    Cape Town, RSA
    Full Name:
    Andrew
    Thanks guys. My Google Translate didn't pick that up :D

21. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    You are not alone. I was not familiar with that term, either.

Sent from my iPad using FerrariChat

22. flash32

flash32 F1 Veteran

Aug 22, 2008
    Central NJ
    Full Name:
    Dominick
    Glad I could help ..

23. hardtop

hardtop F1 World Champ

Jan 31, 2002
    Colorado
    Full Name:
    Dave
    I can add experience with my '05 3 pedal coupe. I bought it new and it now has 30K miles. It did get new motor mounts, headers and a rear main seal under warranty plus a number of service bulletin items in the early years. Most dealt with the exhaust system. Otherwise, I have only had annual services. The clutch is original. I don't know how much is left because you can't do computer readouts on manual cars. My car has not been treated with kid gloves. It's seen a number of race tracks and been in rain and even snow a couple of times. It's just been a solid, reliable car.

Dave

24. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    They can also loosen up if cover is constantly pulled tight over the tail lights.
    Because they protrude above the fenders they are also susceptible to people leaning on and bumping into them.
    Mine are still good and solid, but I bought a repair kit from Rex ( [email protected]) to be ready for the repair if and when its needed.
    Normal Guy Supercar Dan also has a video of how to perform the repair using Rex's kit.

25. driller1

driller1 Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 14, 2015
    New Hampshire
    Full Name:
    Scott
    Thanks,,,,,,,
    Been an American my whole life :D and car guy since i first got my license in 1979, and I always knew them as A-Arm bushings.......

LARRYH likes this.