mondial T low miles question | Page 3 | FerrariChat

mondial T low miles question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SirDewar, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    @SirDewar,

I also wanted to provide context on I think what caused the 'bump in the road' earlier in the thread. When people like me said you may want to consider a more used car, it was not because we think the pristine vehicle would ruin you.

At least for me, one thing I noticed about the Mondial, in particular, is people really drive them a lot. More so than other Ferrari. I will have no qualms putting another 70K on my car to 100K if the Good Lord allows it. So the mileage issue tends to given lower attention from Mondial owners than other Ferrari.

The other facet is the mileage to value equation exponentiality in Ferrari, Take a 5,000-mile model. The 5,000 miles example follows that non-linear curve in price vs. a 10,000-mile model. A 500-mile case like yours would have an even steeper value curve compare to the 5,000-mile model, and so forth, but you know this already.

Mondial owners also tend to be a more frugal bunch from what I've seen, so the value proposition is always in mind. Many garage queens have not had the level of a recent detailed refurbishment as yours, which bolsters the case for this car.

Knowing a bit more about your background, as well as your intentions, I can say this car is perfect for you, as you are blessed to be able to afford the said premium. It also sounds like you also have the means for proper stewardship.

I look forward to hearing your thoughts and wish you endless miles of happiness ahead.

Kind regards,
    Paul

Wade likes this.
  2. FerrariJB

FerrariJB Karting

Jun 8, 2019
    Netherlands
    Full Name:
    FerrariJB
    You have done good investigation work. I am sure you will get a good car. Almost new. Have fun with it and enjoy the pleasure of a mondial. Succes

paulchua likes this.
  3. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thank you very much FerrariJB!

4. WilyB

WilyB F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Feb 23, 2007
    AZ
    I am one of these fools ;) that bought a very low mile Mondial t. A brand new 1990 that the wife and I had custom ordered in 1989 from Pozzi in Paris with 0 miles on the odometer!

30 years later that car still looks and run as new, but every little ding or scratch is my fault. It has been – and still is – maintained by the best. I have all the records.

Congratulation @SirDewar and welcome to the Mondial club!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

moysiuan, alexion, paulchua and 2 others like this.
  5. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thank you Wily B, that is a beautiful spec for the Mondial T! Really love it. I'm officially a Mondial T owner. The PPI identified a few minor items and one leaking power steering line. All being corrected and it will be on transporter early this coming week. I'm excited to receive and I'll post a pic when she arrives! Thanks for sharing your experiences, lots of fun memories I'm sure.

paulchua, Jeka, gsfent and 4 others like this.
  6. read33

read33 Karting

Mar 23, 2017
    Long Island
    Congratulations SirDewar! I hope and expect that you will very much enjoy the ownership experience of these unique, rare and distinctive cars... they look, drive and feel like no other car. I hope you will continue to share your thoughts and experiences here in this forum.

Regarding the issue of ultra-low mileage, there are lot of reasonable and valid points on both sides of the discussion and each to his own... etc. However, there is one point that I’ll make that pertains a little bit: The Mondial comes into its own and showcases its greatness not on short drives or local run-arounds, but on the long, 2-4 hour, back country, low-traffic, curvy 300+ mile trips... cruising for hours at between 85-110mph... this is where the car is in its element... rock solid, responsive, engaging and feeling like it will just go and go forever. It’s a GT car and it does what it was designed to do gloriously (upgrade the exhaust (and keep the original)). I bought my 1990 t cab a few years ago with under 15k miles, drove it, loved it.... but it wasn’t until I took a 600 mile road trip that I understood the car’s greatness. It now has over 19k (and getting an engine out major at this very moment).
    My point being that there is another mileage related conundrum: the best use of the car and the only way to know and experience the intended greatness of the car is to take it on high mile weekend long road trips.
    Go for it!

ronfrohock and paulchua like this.
  7. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Great advice read33, much appreciated and looking forward to those drives!

paulchua likes this.
  8. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Congratulations!!!!!!

9. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner