Best Tune for 812? | FerrariChat

Best Tune for 812?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by BLKM3, Jan 25, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    I just got my full Novitec N-Largo Exhaust with no cats installed.

Car is throwing a check engine light after 30 miles and going into a limp mode. I floor it and it feels like it has 112 HP lol

Who is the best and most reliable tuner for this car?

Thanks

2. wrs

wrs F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jul 11, 2015
    Lakeway, Texas
    Full Name:
    William
    790 hp isn't enough?

3. Gh21631

Gh21631 F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 24, 2011
    East
    Mase who is a sponsor here might be able to help and perhaps take over 800hp.

uberwag likes this.
  4. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    A few thoughts
    - Removing the cats will invariably cause a check engine light. Can’t believe whoever did the install didn’t tell you that. To fix it, you don’t need a tune, you need a little module that plugs in and cancels the warning light (but leaves other warning lights unaffected).
    - I would advise against a tune. Despite what the tuner sales people will tell you, it will likely affect engine reliability in the long run (plus void your warranty... although I think that’s already gone-ski based on the exhaust work)
    - as noted above, I would be surprised if anyone needs or can properly use more power than the 812 has (at least on the street). Even in stock form, with the accelerator pinned you are doing warp speed...

andyrichter, gzachary and Thecadster like this.
  5. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Uh, why not buy the Novi box designed to work with your exhaust? Novi has what is needed to fix your issue and add a bit of schnell to your setup.

Gh21631 likes this.
  6. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Yes I knew that with removing the cats and have the Novitec module installed but the car is still going into limp mode randomly. With a tune you can remove the line of code that searches for the cats and it should be fine.

7. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    What about installing O2 sensor spacers?

8. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Have you had the actual codes read out yet? That might be a good place to start.

Il Co-Pilota and SAFE4NOW like this.
  9. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt

Might be worth posting the codes for more info. If its just the o2 sensors, it shouldnt be going limp mode. Just throws a cel but leaves you with full power etc. Unless, does your 812 have the PPF? How old is the car

10. Vertix

Vertix Rookie

Jun 7, 2018
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Matt
    He could just want the o2 sensors code tuned out. Before we jump all over the guy, its entirely possible he is after a tune to eliminate the CEL from throwing without caring about extra performance.

@OP, the 812 is on the newer Bosch ECU that hasnt been cracked over OBD yet, so you need to find someone to perform a bench tune. Do you research here as it requires them to remove the ECU and get direct access to the ECU. Find someone whos done it on a 812/488 or similar (not f12/458, they can be done via OBD).

11. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not seeing anyone jumping all over anyone. He's just being offered some suggestions and solutions.

As far as bench tunes, Vivid Racing offers that for the 812. Like I said, I'm sure they can help.

12. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    This is true. We just want to make sure he has all of the information available so he makes the right decision.
    Normally, a CEL triggered by the O2 Sensors doesn't throw the car into limp mode which is why I was asking if he by chance had the codes read.
    If my memory serves me right the valves on the 812 are vacuum powered, so it may even be a vacuum leak that is causing this.

13. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Hey everyone,

So here's what's been happening....

For those that say CEL triggered by 02 sensors shouldn't go into limp mode is correct. I've had a few catless Ferrari's 458/488 and with CEL it doesn't go into limp mode.

I have the Novitec Module on the 812 that is supposed to eliminate the check engine light. I haven't had a check engine light come on with the module but recently I've noticed on the freeway when trying to pass people the car has absolutely no power. I floor it, it's making a lot of noise and revving super slowly. There is no check engine light on but that could be because the Novitec Module is hiding it. I shut the car off, restart it and everything is fine. Power is back on again.

I pulled the module out and drove around for 30 miles and got a CEL.

The codes read by my scanner are:

P420 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 1)

P430 - Catalyst Efficiency Below Threshold (Bank 2)

I haven't had a chance to test if the car is in limp mode because the CEL turned on in my driveway. I will be driving the car this weekend and will report back.

14. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    The Novitec Module is actually automatically clearing the code when it comes up. Which is why you don't see it when it's plugged in. There are a few products who do the same thing from what I understand. Keep us posted! This is turning quite interesting.

15. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Precisely. I don't ever recall seeing a car go into limp mode just because of decatting it. CEL yes, but it kept driving fine. The limp mode leads me to think something else is going on. Novi usually does things right, and the box should as you say, clear the codes, turn off any CEL and keep things running smoothly. Lots of cars out there with Novi, Capristo, yours and other exhausts installed and they don't go into limp mode.

16. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    That is exactly why I'm interested to see what happens. Honestly, at this point a tune would be your best way to solve your problem but if warranty becomes an issue then High-Flow Cats might work as long as the decat is the real source of the issue.

17. Rosino81

Rosino81 Rookie

May 25, 2013
    London, UK
    This is probably why in Europe very few would dare tune a nearly new 812 with close to 800hp...;)

18. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    #19 FerrariF50lover, Jan 30, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2020
    Wheels Boutique in Miami just tuned one using Dyno Spectrum software.

19. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Do you know if they used the DS1 hardware to tune it or was it a bench flash?

20. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    It can be done, correctly and safe just have to know how to go about it... :p

21. BLKM3

BLKM3 Formula Junior

Jun 26, 2005
    California
    Full Name:
    John
    Well I just wanted the exhaust. The 812 sounds incredible with the full novitec system. Didn't think it would cause me problems.

22. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    Normally, it doesn't but things do happen sorry to say.
    Keep us posted after you get the chance to drive your car.

BLKM3 likes this.
  23. gliazzurri

gliazzurri Formula Junior

Jun 11, 2016
    Maryland
    Hi there. Any follow up on this topic. This is relevant to me and curious how you made out and if you did anything else to correct any problem. Did you get a time or did it sort itself out? Or anyone else deal with this issue with the aftermarket exhaust install?

24. sexybeast

sexybeast Karting

Apr 7, 2008
    Alex tuned my AMG and will tune my Lusso.....