What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals. | Page 2 | FerrariChat

What's new(s)? Ferrari in periodicals.

Discussion in 'Collectables, Literature, & Models' started by Dino2400, May 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sempre_gilles

Sempre_gilles Formula 3

Jul 11, 2003
    Full Name:
    AdK
    Now that is a compliment if I ever saw one.

2. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    Also at Hampton Court, Dennis Publishing were giving away copies of both of these:

Image Unavailable, Please Login

It probably costs a publisher very little to give away copies of their own magazines but I would be fairly frustrated if I was an unhappy Enzo subscriber!

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  3. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Speaking as a very unhappy :mad: Enzo subscriber.....you're right!

4. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    In issue 3, summer 2019 there is an article on the Ferrari V8 history.
    Some images from the article:

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Ferrari 308 GTB, doyler and Rosey like this.
  5. Nembo1777

Nembo1777 F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 4, 2006
    opposite lock
    Full Name:
    Marc Sonnery
    I gather he changed careers again...but very briefly;-)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  6. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    I bought this today at the supermarket with the rest of my shopping. A good publication but beware: inside we are told "This special edition is compiled from the past 10 years of Classic & Sports Car magazine. Each article has been kept as close to its original format as possible, so cross-referencing some material against its publication date may help to put it in context - the issue in which each article originally appeared is listed...". There are some great articles and photographs but nothing new.

Dino2400 and jm2 like this.
  7. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    It isn’t precisely a Ferrari magazine, but is anyone here familiar with www.theroadrat.com ?

8. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Look at post #29 just above.....

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  9. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    The Brits seem to be bringing out new automotive interest magazines....especially high concept ones....while in the US the titles seem to be shrinking. Are there any new US titles of interest that haven’t been mentioned here?

10. Ferrari27

Ferrari27 Formula Junior

Jul 5, 2010
    csmjr91090, NürScud and jm2 like this.
  11. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I’m thinking of buying a sample copy of The Road Rat. There were some complaints on FB about delivery and poor customer support. Can anybody comment? The price is high and shipping charges are significant, so i’m not inclined to throw $$ down a, um, “Rat” hole. :D

12. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    I tried an issue of The Road Rat and was honestly not impressed. Among newer magazines, I like Magneto a lot more.

13. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    #38 Jack-the-lad, Jan 27, 2020
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2020
    Thanks. I ordered Magneto #5 the other day. I’ve been impressed with it.

If you’re interested in selling your copy of TRR please let me know. I’d like to at least read one issue.

14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    If you need Road Rat, I can send you one from the local Automotive Book Store.
    https://pasteiners.com

of2worlds likes this.
  15. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Thank you for your kind offer, John, but I can go ahead and purchase directly rather than put you to the trouble, although I do not see the magazine on their web site.

You’re fortunate to have such a place nearby!

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Yes, it is THE place to get pretty much any automotive periodical/book/model Image Unavailable, Please Login known.
    Sat. mornings is a cars & coffee year round event.

of2worlds, Rosey and Jack-the-lad like this.
  17. Dino2400

Dino2400 Formula 3
    Owner

Feb 21, 2009
    of2worlds likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Just an FYI, but i've spoken with Steve the entrepreneur at pasteiner's and he said he sends magazines all over the world if you need something. call him if you need something.Steve Pasteiner 248-646-2886 [email protected] Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I notice The Road Rat is now producing “collector editions” that sell for silly prices on eBay.

20. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    Funny what people will pay for. But good for them if they've found a way to help keep their magazine going.

21. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    Well the premium price is a benefit to the reseller, not the publisher. I think the special editions are sold at the regular cover price, but i’m not positive of that.

22. jtremlett

jtremlett F1 Rookie

Feb 18, 2004
    I assumed they were a premium option but you could be right. I'm on their mailing list but didn't know anything about them until I saw your post. But then the magazine and their whole setup is a bit different (both good and bad). I decided to try a four issue subscription but we'll see.

23. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I have an idea that these special issues are only announced on social media. The most recent one had a run of just 72 copies and was sold out in seconds, apparently.

24. ChoroQ

ChoroQ Karting

Jan 20, 2014
    Europe
    Full Name:
    A.C.
    For the moment they produced 2 limited edition (both announced on their IG profile) for issue 3 and issue 4, plus a reprint of issue 1 due the high demand on that. The only difference was the cover (Lotus Evija - issue 3, DeTomaso P72 for issue 4) and some few pages added inside, including some signs from the designers. Prices are basically the same of a standard edition, but in very limited quantities (130 then become 260 for #3 and just 72 for #4), so no premium option. Resell value is/was high and absolutely crazy but you know, put the world "limited" on something and everyone will feel the need to purchase it. Of the 72 copies of issue 4 (yes, sold in less then 20 seconds) 2 appeared some days ago on eBay and sold for £120 and £170 (plus shipping cost). Someone just list issue 3 limited edition and surely it will finish at a skyrocket price. No passion, just speculation - as in everything else.

Imho magazine is qualitatively good/superlative, with various content very well written and photographed. Obviously is not Ferrari oriented, but wit a certain fil rouge and theme. It worth the price, even if shipping costs are very high. Customer service isn't bad at all, but they surely need too improve it - it's something like still home made, despite they sell very high numbers of copies.

Magneto is a very great magazine, I like it a lot. Great great stories, great quality and great people behind it. They are very kind and helpful if you have problems. Printing quality is good but it could be even better. Price is very honest to me - £46 shipped in Europe area.

Automobilsport is my overall preferred magazine: I know the person behind it and it's super nice, super kind, super precise, with LOT of expertise in the printed paper. Arguments are various and all motorsport related: every issue is a little gem. Quality is top, price is very right for what you get.

There are other TONS of great and less known magazines, but some are very little Ferrari oriented if not at all - like the best one in the world (imho) : 000 Magazine. If you are into Porsche, you have to get it even if price is not.. reasonable. But every issue is more like a book than a "simple" magazine.

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  25. Jack-the-lad

Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I ordered the first four issues of The Road Rat. I was hoping to pick up a regular copy on eBay for a cheap price but shipping costs are excessive for eBay sellers in my opinion.

I placed the order three days ago but have not received any shipping notification. So we shall see the level of customer service.