IMSA 2020 | Page 4 | FerrariChat

IMSA 2020

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by RWatters, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

So you would have the GT3 pro be faster than P3 which is faster than GT3? ELMS uses LMP2, LMP3 and GTE so I guess it is all doable. This also comes back to the FIA and SRO coming to an agreement on the use of the GT3 homoligation.

One of the really interesting things I kept hearing on IMSA radio during the 24 was that they thought the grid size was just fine and they "didn't miss the extra cars". I find the GT cars to be a lot more interesting than the prototypes so I would love to see those classes grow.

GuyIncognito likes this.
  2. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    no, in my fantasy land it would be P2-P3-GT3 Pro-GT3 Am.

I actually agree, I don't think the smaller field size was an issue, partially because there wasn't much attrition until the 20th hour or so. I would like to see a few more GTLM cars though, a proper 2 car Ferrari and 2 car Aston team would make that a great class.

3. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I am looking forward to watching the race replay whenever it is posted. From being there it was odd seeing so many empty garages. The other thing I do feel like I was missing was the big groups of cars. Things got a lot more spread out than they would normally.

4. 1:00 PM to 5:00PM tomorrow on NBCSN. ;)

5. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    I almost always check tvracer but it didn’t occur to me yesterday. I was watching a Scott Dixon piece (I think) and expected to hear a warning or see a crawl to change channels but did not....just commercials and then skiing.

6. And that's what I was referring to....it might have been announced a half of an hour earlier (12:00, not 1:00 as I said above) when the NBC broadcast (simultaneous overlap...why, I don't know....) of the finish actually began. I questioned the overlaps earlier in the week but they were confirmed by the Comcast/Xfinity on screen guide....and turned out to be so........ Image Unavailable, Please Login

:)

Jack-the-lad likes this.
  7. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

I think there are a few hours missing lol

I watch the replays on Youtube. IMSA posts the full race replays with the IMSA radio commentary.

Not sure how many of you guys were up for it, but we had an absolutely amazing sunset and sunrise this year. Will post some photos in the coming days.

8. I've never watched the whole 24 after having actually been to it (or even the Sebring 12). Once having been to the whole thing in person (minus a quick trip or two out for provisions/"sit down" meal) is sufficient. Maybe some highlights (even then some fast forwarding) for specific items, but, mostly reading about them for more info not caught from radio at tracks...
    The set and rise did look great (tho' a bit nippy; 'been there for that a few times over the years since '75)
    Anyhow, 'hope you enjoyed. ;)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  9. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Some good information here:
    https://marshallpruett.podbean.com/e/mp-739-the-week-in-sports-cars-jan-28-convergence-special-with-doonan-and-neveu/

10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
  11. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex

Ha. It's only 45min. No time or just not a fan of Marshall Pruett?

What I am getting from this honestly is that LMDh is really just DPi2.0 but eligible for WEC to run with the hypercars. I may have missed it, but I don't recall hearing anything about hypercars being eligible to run in IMSA. Unless there are auto invites to LeMans from IMSA, I see this as a way to compete at the top class in WEC for less money than would be required to build a hypercar. I am assuming there is more details to come that will clear some of this up.

12. william

william Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 3, 2006
    Music to my ears !!

Sharknose likes this.
  13. Sharknose

Sharknose Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2004
    Pennsylvania
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sebring March 21, 2020. Was lucky enough to attend the 1970 race. Had pit pass button and access to everything, including a 917 engine sitting on the floor at the back of the Porsche pit box. Unfortunately, my pictures with an Instamatic showed the tail end of cars or the sky. At least I still have the button, the program as above, the poster and the results sheets. What a trip for a 16-year-old kid! Came home with a bad sunburn and a trunk load of cigarettes and fireworks from South of the Border.

Forza Mario!

lorenzobandini and Devilsolsi like this.
  14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer

Agree. It's like listening to the sound of a TV test pattern.

15. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
  16. Back when it was Bishop's show, I very rarely missed a Florida race. and ALMS at Sebring.
    'Don't care for the cars and BoPing. No más..... :(

Jakuzzi likes this.
  17. Jakuzzi

Jakuzzi Formula 3

Mar 26, 2005
    PR, TX, GV
    Full Name:
    Jaime
  18. F1tommy

F1tommy F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 15, 2007
    Chicagoland USA
    Full Name:
    Tom Tanner
    I am looking forward to the Road America later this month. Florida at this time is a no go. Maybe for Sebring or next year but not now.

19. Eric R

Eric R F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Nov 19, 2014
    The Woodlands, Tx
    Full Name:
    Eric R.
    Its on NBCSN at 6pm tomorrow.

Jakuzzi likes this.
  20. mdrums

mdrums Formula 3

Jun 11, 2006
    Tampa FL
    Great coverage of the Daytona 250 on NBCSN. However Ferrari in the GTD class is now showing very well...ad no Ferrari’s in the GTLM class....Risi did not even show up for the race.

21. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    As long as Porsche doesn't win GTLM it's a good race. Tuning in and seeing Porsche win that class every time is boring.

22. #99 lorenzobandini, Jul 4, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2020
    240. ;) https://www.imsa.com/

mdrums likes this.
  23. Gatorrari

Gatorrari F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 27, 2004
    Georgia
    Full Name:
    Jim Pernikoff
    Corvette won, so if must have been a good race for you. Sure wish there had been a Ferrari in the class.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.