Fast food "do not visit list" rant | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Fast food "do not visit list" rant

Discussion in 'Other Off Topic Forum' started by Bradwilliams, Dec 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Bobby Williams / Parts Manager
    A Raising Cane's (https://www.raisingcanes.com) location opened near me not too long ago so the wife and I checked it out. We knew nothing of the chain beforehand so we went in with an absolute open mind.

I can't comment on if it's overrated or not because I haven't really seen or heard any opinions either way, that said one visit is all I'll ever need.

2. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Ate at one in New Orleans, which is where I think they originated, after reading a story about the owner in a magazine. Meh. My Costco chicken tenders coated in Shake N Bake are better...T

3. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    Exactly, they're just *bleeping* chicken strips and personally, they're not that good. I've literally had better chicken strips at a gas station.

timjen88 and tomc like this.
  4. SCFerrari

SCFerrari F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 30, 2013
    South Carolina
    Full Name:
    Rob
    I think they started in Baton Rouge - MBA project or something from a business grad from LSU- I was working in that area when they started and went several times trying to figure out what was so great - didn’t ever figure it out ..

5. Alcav5

Alcav5 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 28, 2012
    Scarsdale, NY
    Full Name:
    Al
    I have a place that still makes them like that , in Scarsdale of all places., $12.95 though...

6. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    To me, it's a meal, so that's a normal price for lunch! Excluding airfare of course.

7. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I gave up on eating out in the area where I live prices are just nuts. My buddy called me the other day as he was waiting for his breakfast sandwich to be made which he told me was nine dollars, just for the sandwich. I'm thinking to myself I bought english muffins buy 1 get two free for 4.49, a dozen eggs for eighty eight cents and a package of cheese for 1.99. So for less than eight bucks I can have breakfast sandwiches for weeks.

tomc and wax like this.
  8. TexasF355F1

TexasF355F1 Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 2, 2004
    Cloud-9
    Full Name:
    Jason
    I've never understood the rave about them. It's for two people, lovers of chicken tenders and people who have very limited taste buds. The second is my theory based on a friend of mine that doesn't even like Tex-Mex.

9. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Jason. I say this with all sincerity, you have failed your friend! Not liking Tex Mex is unfathomable to me...T

TexasF355F1, SAFE4NOW and Wade like this.
  10. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Can’t remember the last time we ate fast food. It’s been forever. We eat at home 99% of the time. When traveling it’s Cracker Barrel, Perkins, or whatever is close to the hotel - always try to get a salad / grilled chicken thing. A burger may slip in!

Fast food places are packed around here.

11. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I read the thread title as a statement: Fast food, DO NOT VISIT.

12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    So I'm sure everyone here heard of the Popeye's vs Chick-fil-A sandwich debates.

I like fried chicken more than anyone but both to me are overrated. The Popeye's regular one tasted like pure butter and the spicy one like pure spice.

Chick-fil-A was better but I only eat it at airports between connections because it's not really that good. My friend's brother used to have a store and we got the stuff free all the time in highschool a long time ago. Never thought it was great.

Save your money imo.

13. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Wow, you guys are even more zealous than us when it comes to eating out! We eat out 2 or 3 times per month, usually lunch, and usually Whataburger or Chick Fil A. If it's dinner, it's hardly ever chain, & usually a car club event or business dinner. The expense is #2 reason. #1 is it's just a PITA to hop in the car, after a long day at work, go to a restaurant, order, wait, eat, get back in the car, drive home...T

wax and NbyNW like this.
  14. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

The local Popeye’s was insane when those came out. Traffic blocked, cars in the street. Crazy. Basically another Saturday at Chick-fil-A.

15. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

I read it as stay away too.

Never been in a C-f-A, same for 5 Guys. Would be the same for Whataburger but they’re not here. Think I’ve done Panara once with my niece.

I did go for a drive today and picked up a couple strips and asparagus for the grill on the way home.

Glad I haven’t done the fast food thing - but sure it’s ridiculously tasty.

16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    DC/MD/VA people always got it wrong with burgers. Five Guys was not the best fast causal around. Fatburger was. Shake Shack is crap btw.

I used to go to this location in Columbia, MD years ago before they closed. https://www.yelp.com/biz/fatburger-elkridge

It was owned by former Ravens/Browns player Orlando Brown Sr. You may remember him for being the player the refs threw a flag and it hit his eye causing injury. They subsequently removed the metal bb from the flags after the lawsuit from that. I saw him in the store once as he was pretty hands on and a nice guy. He had a jersey of his in there you can see in one of the photos. He unfortunately passed away from DKA and complications from that and the store is now gone. RIP :( His son now plays for the Ravens with the same #.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orlando_Brown_(American_football)

tomc and NbyNW like this.
  17. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

We will visit local one off places. Love local joints... occasionally. I don’t see them as fast food. No chains.

A while ago we were watching a foodie show about burgers on PBS and they went to this place. I bookmarked it if we were ever close. They mentioned the Ollie Burger. I have a couple more bookmarked from that episode

https://www.yelp.com/biz/ollies-trolley-washington

Lot of Ravens around us. I can see Harbaugh’s house from the back yard. Met him once at neighborhood thing. Nice guy. Growing up I knew a lot of the Redskins - long time ago. Jacoby, etc. They would come to the farm for dove hunting.

Wade and wax like this.
  18. wax

wax Five Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jul 20, 2003
    SFPD
    Full Name:
    Dirty Harry
    About 50 years ago, my Mom told me;

"When in doubt, get the Club Sandwich."

As it hasn't failed me yet, I think I'd like that on my headstone.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J727A using FerrariChat.com mobile app

19. Continental AutoSports

Sponsor

Aug 22, 2006
    Hinsdale, IL
    Full Name:
    I couldn't agree with this post more.

TexasF355F1 likes this.
  20. rob

rob F1 Rookie

May 22, 2002
    Vt
    I walked into a local deli and ordered an Italian sub and got the deer in headlights look so I explained what was on an Italian sub and when I got the sandwich I felt like Henry Hill at the end of Goodfellas when he says "I ordered spagetti with marinara and got noodles with ketchup."
    I always liked the sandwiches at D'Angelo's but they have closed a majority of their stores here in the northeast.

21. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.