Want to collect a Ducati, which one? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Want to collect a Ducati, which one?

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by yelcab, Nov 25, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. GT500JR

GT500JR Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    JR
    I happen to think the 1098R and/or 1198R (If you can find one of the handful Of 1198R they made) will hold or gain value in the future. Last of the trellis framed superbikes, limited edition, dry clutch...all classic Ducati character.

for me, a Bayliss edition 1098r wins!

sherpa23 likes this.
  2. Gregc57

Gregc57 Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    LI, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Gregory M. Condemi
    You can't go wrong with a nice 916. It was the bike of the decade and still is a wonder.
    I am partial to the older, bevel-drive 750SS models as well.
    Having said that....
    Here is my current Duc, a 2000 900SSi.e. Fun times!~
    Previous ride was a 750 Paso, 16" wheels and fully enclosed body work made for quite an interesting ride. I love both! I rode the Paso for 10 years. I bought the 900 as a leftover in 2005, brand new.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

NYC Fred likes this.
  3. Pierre Coquet

Pierre Coquet Rookie

Mar 3, 2005
    F - 21340 Baubigny
    Full Name:
    Pierre Coquet
  4. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I have a 1098R and it's one of the best riding bikes that I have ever ridden. And, like you said, is very "Ducati" with the trellis frame, clutch, sssa, etc.

The thing that a lot of people fail to realize is that the 1098R was so so very good. It was a marked departure for Ducati Corse in that the difference between the R and the RS was relatively minor as part of their attempt to reduce costs for racing that Carlos Checa won the WSBK title on what was basically a customer bike with some RS and some WSBK only parts. He beat all the factory teams and factory bikes with that to take a world title. That's pretty amazing and that's something that a lot of people forget.

I think that one of the issues with the lack of value (relatively) for the 1098R is that it never got the marketing hype that it deserved as Ducati used that up on the D16RR which was released the same year and overshadowed it.

5. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    I hope nobody forgets Ducati's other Italian cousin... MV Agusta! A lot of similarties to Ferraris in these bikes with some amazing history
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

MRY, sparetireless, WilyB and 4 others like this.
  6. Gregc57

Gregc57 Rookie

Apr 3, 2019
    LI, NY, USA
    Full Name:
    Gregory M. Condemi
    I have an MV Agusta F4 (BLACK) poster hanging in my garage. Wonderful bike!

GT500JR likes this.
  7. TedM

TedM Karting

Oct 30, 2010
    Arlington, MA
    Full Name:
    Ted
    I'd say 998R, as it's the last of the most iconic Ducati design. There were also some special editions of that era, mostly tributes to some of their racers (Foggy, Hayden, Bayliss, etc).

One suggestion would be to talk to Jerry Wood or his son. They are vintage motorcycle experts and auctioneers, and know Ducs. They might help to locate what you want. Jerry used to beat me handily racing in the Loudon race series on his Supermono (also highly collectible), which spanked my Aprilia RS250....

http://www.jwoodandcompany.com/

Ted

NewYorkLego likes this.
  8. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
  9. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Beautiful. What year is it?

10. 246er

246er Karting

Jan 1, 2016
    Herefordshire, England.
    Full Name:
    Chris Sherwood
    NewYorkLego, 500drvr and sherpa23 like this.
  11. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    That is a 2005 F4 1000. That one isn't mine, but it's pretty incredible feeling a 4 cylinder motor working underneath you like that

12. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    If you are interested in the 916 series....I have a 996SPS with 2k miles on it...coming up for sale soon. And an RC30 with 4k miles. Both have been in my basement bar for a few years, wife wants to downsize....so basement mancave and all the associated toys are going for sale/storage.

I wouldn't put the 996SPS in the highly collectable category, but it's not going for that kinda money either. And it does look like art...at least to me.

sherpa23 likes this.
  13. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    I've had several Mv Agusta F4's, including that very one. It's literally an Italian recipe of the Japanese 4 cylinder. They're nice bikes and some of them feel pretty special but they can be challenging bikes to own. Ask me how I know.

G. Pepper, GT500JR and NewYorkLego like this.
  14. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    Mark, How is it that I don't know you? I have spent plenty of time in the MC scene in Atl and north. Do you know Fat Bloke?

At any rate, I may be interested in the RC30 when you are ready.

15. Marcoboxer

Marcoboxer Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 5, 2019
    Alpharetta, GA
    Full Name:
    Mark Roberts
    I know plenty of Fat Blokes :). Drop me a DM, RC30 can be anytime.

16. NbyNW

NbyNW F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

That would make a fantastic art piece... no matter how challenging to own.

NewYorkLego likes this.
  17. GT500JR

GT500JR Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    JR

Yes! MV such a great moto. 2010 F4 track toy.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. Flash355

Flash355 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 10, 2018
    United Arab Emirates
    Full Name:
    James Thomas
    NewYorkLego, sherpa23 and GT500JR like this.
  19. NewYorkLego

NewYorkLego Karting

Jan 28, 2019
    NY
    I've been looking for a F4 Senna 1000 but keep striking out on auctions. I have been thinking lately that a 1098R
    You should see the F4 Senna 1000's.. I have been trying my luck at a few auctions for them but keep striking out.. I feel like the the Ducati V4 Pinagale is calling my name now. Less weight on the bike the better

20. Yoric

Yoric Formula Junior
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 8, 2005
    Full Name:
    Yoric
    I have wanted a Ducati MHR Mille--the '85 with electric start and two piece fairing--for years but have always backed off at the last minute. And now, once again, I'm seriously considering buying one. Anyone here who's owned one and can offer some insight into these beautiful old machines?

21. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    The Superleggera's have really come down. Theres one in the mid 30's close to my house with 700 miles. I think it would be a great garage item!

22. yelcab

yelcab F1 World Champ
    Consultant

Nov 29, 2001
    San Carlos, CA
    Full Name:
    Mitchell Le
    No wonder the one at a Ducati dealer near me at $48K is still sitting.....

23. sherpa23

sherpa23 F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

May 28, 2003
    Rocky Mountains
    Full Name:
    Bastuna
    If you need a frame of reference, I paid $40k for mine from an Fchat sponsor at the time. It was three years ago and it had 62 miles on it and came with everything it was delivered with. It was literally like taking delivery of a brand new bike.

24. GT500JR

GT500JR Rookie

Dec 21, 2019
    Chicago IL
    Full Name:
    JR
    Have not had the chance to ride one yet. Significant different experience between 1199SL and 1199 or 1299R, say?

25. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I noticed your thoughts on the Desmo. What makes you like the SL better than the desmo?