mondial T low miles question | Page 2 | FerrariChat

mondial T low miles question

Discussion in 'Mondial' started by SirDewar, Jan 17, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks paulchua! I won't drive it extensively, mostly some spirited drives in the season down here enough to keep the car moving and happy. My guess is not much more than a couple hundred a year at most, perhaps more and I'm not going to fear the 1K roll either. I'll keep the maintenance up and care for it and a concours or two may be fun. I'm a fan of this car and its history.

I like that the people that have taken the time to do real research find it solid and appealing. I've owned a few investment type toys but a bit too expensive and you're afraid to drive them. It's fun to think I could end up with one of the finest of the Mondials. It's now eclipsed 30 years old and I'm also old enough not to buy things because others think they're great. My new Cayenne Turbo is a great car to drive up north in Chicago but I'll take far more deprecation on it in 2 years than I will on this in 10 perhaps. In perspective it will be fun to own any Ferrari that's one of the best examples of the brand at such a reasonable price.

One last bonus is that at 30 years in FL I believe the car has collectors status and I can assign any period correct FL license plate. Just so happens that the main colors for that plate series is red numbers on white background. Here's the random plate I've found on Ebay thought it was a good sign:) Now if my first name was Forest it would really be awesome. Thanks again for all the feedback it helped put me over the edge! Cheers
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

Wade and paulchua like this.
  2. davebdave

davebdave Formula 3
    Owner

Mar 18, 2007
    Northern VA
    Full Name:
    Dave W
    If the car sells for less than the $100,000 it sold for new than it’s a bargain. We bought our t with less than 7000 miles on it from Shelton Ferrari 12 years ago. It now has 19,000 miles.I personally think only run out cars with cracked engine blocks and worn out suspension should be in museums. Cars were made to be driven and I wouldn’t think twice about buying a zero mileage survivor and driving it. If the t will start up, idle without smoke, shift smoothly once warm, brake smoothly, and every switch works then It shouldn’t be any trouble at all. When these cars work, they keep working as long as you drive them.

BOKE, sixcarbs and paulchua like this.
  3. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Great to hear Dave. Roselli in San Jose is doing the PPI this week for me. Reviewed the full engine out service that was done 18 months ago with Francorchamps yesterday. That service was very very complete. Seems everything that should be addressed on a car that was not getting much action was done properly. Really looking forward to driving her. Thanks!

paulchua likes this.
  4. Wade

Wade Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Unexpected rain showers and thunderstorms occur all the time in Florida.

So find an experienced person to show you how to raise up and fold down the top, and then practice it a few times. ;)

read33 likes this.
  5. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Great advice thanks Wade

paulchua likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats like saying don't buy a new car and drive it. Sorry but it is an absurd position.

WilyB and BOKE like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    100% TRUE.

Thank God someone around here gets it.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No

9. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Some of us don't want someone elses worn out POS.

Why not put all the patina and wear and tear on it yourself?

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Great to hear. Don't listen to all the naysayers about buying a near new 30 year old car. We bought a TR with under 1000 miles on it and it now has low 20's. Every rock chip and all the patina is ours. We got it for about 25% of what the original owner bought it for and it is worth more now.
    People don't understand some of us just don't like wearing other peoples clothes or sleeping on someone elses dirty sheets. Why not buy a new car and drive it, Its done thousands of times a day? Why is it suddenly a bad idea if it is a new 30 year old car?

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  11. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    OK Boomer.

12. Wade

Owner

Mar 31, 2006
    East Central, FL
    Full Name:
    Wade O.
    Pot meet kettle. ;)

13. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Robert is great, he had wrenched on my car, a great person to look over the car.

SirDewar likes this.
  14. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Besides somebody that plans to chop it up, I don't think anybody would want a "POS." That said, I didn't say the time capsule is an outright wrong purchase or that it would break.

This example sold or 85K on BAT. Is Canapa selling below?

I've seen some Mondials with say < 10K and recent service miles at almost half the price.

For some, 40K is worth 8,800 miles of wear/tear. I think that's fine for all of us; for me, I would get the later for 46K, put $20K aside for 'surprises' and put the other 20K in the bank.

15. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Consider urself lucky if Roberto can do it this week lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

16. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    ha ha I'll keep my fingers crossed..right is better than rushed though:)

paulchua likes this.
  17. 19633500GT

19633500GT F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 9, 2010
    Blueberry
    Full Name:
    Muffin-Tops
    All personal opinion but I’ll never jump on a low mileage anything again. Too much that sits goes to waste. It’s cool like Rifledriver says to “make it yours” but he’s also a master Fcar guy, so for those of us who don’t have the skills to DIY, buying an Uber low mileage car that will slowly need “everything” makes little sense if the intent is to put miles on the car. The worst Ferrari I’ve owned had the lowest miles, the best, the highest. Again, all personal opinion, but no more Red, and no more low miles for me :)

enjoy whatever you decide to do tho.

18. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Good morning, thanks for your advice, really kind of everyone on the forum to help and share their thoughts. Had all the same concerns in the beginning. Here's the current status if anyone cares to read...

I was able to research a lot of information about the original 27 year owner. He bought the car from Los Gatos Ferrari, delivery Jan '90. Service was done consistently and I have records from Newport Beach Ferrari where the car was trailered for service along with a 308 GTB . The owner split time between Newport Beach and Sun Valley, Idaho area as near as I can tell. The car was kept climate controlled storage over all the years consistent with the condition of the car. The owner had many collectible cars and this was one of several Mondials he owned over the years. He had the means and desire to properly service it. Sebastian at Newport Beach Ferrari was very kind to pull up their records on this car for me.

The latest full engine out service at was done at Francorchamps 18 months ago. I was able to get detailed pictures of that actual engine out service and condition of many parts and fluids. A Ferrari service bulletin regarding potential cam and seal issues on Mondial T's was also addressed in service. The engine out was very extensive and essentially the entire power and drivetrains have been apart, fluids drained, flushed, seals replaced, all belts and chains replaced and road tested. The water pump was replaced while they were in there though it was working perfectly. I have all the documentation. I spoke with Rod Drew at Francorchamps to confirm all of this work by phone. He reviewed the invoice I have with that in his system and they tie out. Initially he said he wouldn't remember working on the car but after referencing his work order he then remembered the car and the dealer that brought the car to him. He was initially skeptical before seeing the records like all of us would be. At the end of the call his quote was "this is now a new car and I wouldn't be concerned". At least when it left him18 months ago. Sources like Ferrarichat and Keith Bluemel's "Original Ferrari V-8" and the Forza's 2016 buyers guide for Mondial's have been very educational for me. So my eyes are wide open and fully expect that I may have a fusebox problem or an issue with that Motronic 2.5 etc.

The car now is being sold by Canepa Cars with 584 miles. Bruce Canepa and his shop have a great reputation. No guarantee but it's helpful they've been over the car as well and know the current owner who is a collector personally. Anyone who knows Canepa knows they don't need or want to sell anything that's not solid. That said of course I'm having a PPI done by Roselli in San Jose Friday. They are 30 mins from Canepa and Mike Cesare at Roselli and I have discussed the Francorchamps service history together. Mike also is also well acquainted with Bruce. Canepa did not send me to Roselli, I found them myself by referencing recommendations on this forum. As long as the PPI goes well it will be on its way to me. Intercity will be doing the transport, any feedback on them is appreciated I'm having period correct Pirelli P7's installed there since the tires original Eagles are 30 yrs old and also a new battery just because. I'll keep the original Goodyear Eagles.

Everyone I've consulted who has reviewed the car or the service history all said the same thing to me. Cars with so few miles should be approached very carefully. All you can do is rely on the service history and current inspections and be prepared like any car of this vintage to have something pop up. They all felt this car had exceptional service history and is essentially appearing and running as new today according to records. Again pending Roberto at Roselli's final hands on PPI verdict soon.

I really love the idea of owning a "brand new" Ferrari Mondial T and this car may be one of the finest examples of any Ferrari Mondial in the world. Not many can say that about their model Ferrari and its very small money for the privilege relative to other models. I think this evolution of the misunderstood Mondial is a great bargain for what it is. Not an investment but something special to drive and enjoy. This 500 mile example comes with some risk of course and a price premium. Relative to other Ferrari's that simply are not better cars though this one is a deal.

I'm appreciative of everyone on the forum that has taken the time to respond to my initial post. I started not knowing a ton about the Mondial T other than I like the way it looked, that it was a true cabriolet and the only mid engine 2+2 version at that . The more I've learned the more I like it. The styling looks even better today to my eye relative to many cars than it did in the 80's. It's a lovely sweet spot... classic manual top down time capsule with a nice exhaust note that doesn't wake the neighbors and makes people smile and invites them in. This one will look great next to a guards red RS America!

I'll post some pics of her when it arrives thanks again to all!

WilyB, Jeka, paulchua and 3 others like this.
  19. 2cam

2cam Formula Junior

Aug 28, 2014
    Austin, Texas
    Full Name:
    MikeS
    Great write-up SirDewar. It sounds like a wonderful car. I've very excited for you as it seems that you'll be an extremely, appreciative owner. AND, the RS sounds like a great stablemate for it. ;)

Good luck with the purchase!

2cam

20. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Great write up. Roberto is the man. His dad was long in business before him. The number of exotics he has in his shop speaks for the quality of his work in my opinion.
    A few challenges: he has a lot of cars which means u could have delays. Ur car will be dirty because it will
    Stay outside unless u bring
    A cover. A lot of constructions there so
    Lots of dust.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks 2cam!

22. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Noted Nat, thanks for the heads up Bruce agreed to let the car out to travel so I'll check and make sure Mike feels that it will go in when it arrives. Otherwise I can hold it back until they are ready for it. Good to know, much appreciated.

23. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    Amazing write up, and dare I say, you sir are the perfect owner for this gem. Kudos, and it brings me great joy to know the car is going to such awesome stewardship.

Enjoy!!! And a hearty congratulations!!!

24. paulchua

paulchua Cat Herder
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Jul 1, 2013
    Menlo Park, CA
    Full Name:
    Paul Chua
    BTW, I have every magazine article available here, mondialt.com

Cheers

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  25. SirDewar

SirDewar Rookie

Jan 15, 2020
    Windermere, FL
    Full Name:
    Rick Dias
    Thanks for the kind words Paul. Blessed to have the freedom to indulge and be surrounded by such great fellowship for the mighty Mondial. I won't get much work done pouring through your assembly but I love it. Thx1

Natkingcolebasket69 and paulchua like this.