Gated 360 versus California? | FerrariChat

Gated 360 versus California?

Discussion in 'Ferrari Discussion (not model specific)' started by DonBecker, Jan 20, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. DonBecker

DonBecker Rookie

Aug 22, 2006
    Full Name:
    Don Becker
    Does anyone have experience with both of these cars?

I'm more of a stick shift person myself (currently driving a Gen 5 Viper).

I've always been interested in the 360, but the California looks great and is for the most part not available with a stick.

It seems impossible to find a 360 for rent due to age, and the rentals for Californias seem to be drying up as well.

Would prefer to hear from experienced members that have driven/owned both cars.

Thanks in advance.

2. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    No contest.

3. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Which one wins?

4. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    What do you plan on doing with said car? I own a 2011 California, and for my usage - back road romps, date nights with the wife, occasional Costco runs, etc. - it's the ideal package for me when you add in looks & reliability. And they made so many, I can drive the heck out of it without worrying that I'm deflowering a garage queen. Others have completely different goals, and so the 360 might be the best option.

I'd try to home in on a few candidates near you for sale, and get some seat time, that'll answer you questions better than anything else.

Additionally, talk to local tifosi about dealers and service options. Unless you plan on wrenching on it yourself, that's an important part of the equation IMO. These are quirky, low volume exotics. Chances are good you're going to spend a good bit of dough maintaining it the way it should be maintained. If so, I think it helps if you're getting a first class sales and service experience.

Good luck. The F-car hunt is just the first step in the fun!

T

tfazio likes this.
  5. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    Ive had both. Completely different experiences. California is great if you want a comfortable daily driver that still has the soul of a Ferrari but without the excitement. Its a fun car, and if you are getting older and getting in and out of a super low car is starting to hurt, its the car for you.

But if you are looking for Ferrari excitement, the 360 is the way to go

6. m5shiv

m5shiv Formula 3
    BANNED

Feb 25, 2013
    SF Bay Area
    Full Name:
    Shiv
    Really ? Is it even up for a debate ?????

7. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Apparently, it is!
    T

Booker and m5shiv like this.
  8. Julia

Julia F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 22, 2014
    Houston
    Well I'd go with the manual, but I don't know your tastes.

Mikael-F360, Dewinator and m5shiv like this.
  9. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    If I wanted to trade my 911 in for another car with two small rear seats for my daughter, the Cali is high on my list of cars as DD/fun car.

Replace my stick 360 with a Cali? Yeah no way! Nothing beats the click of the gated shifter with some twists in the road.

You know that there is a Cali manual transmission out there in Germany right? The shifter mechanism being the same as a 360 was sold as was the clutch pedal. You *could convert a wrecked euro car to a Cali 3-pedal.. Still not as *fun* as the 360 IMHO.

Mikael-F360 and m5shiv like this.
  10. tomc

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    ^There's reportedly a half dozen or so 3 pedal Calis out there. Need deep pockets for those unicorns, though, as they're going for $$$$$
    T

11. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    there are 5 cali manuals.
    the latest sale of my friend's manual (the car i found for him and had first dibs on) went badly for him at $150k.
    so yes they are extremely rare, but they are no longer that much of a premium.

and to answer your question, there is absolutely no doubt that if you are looking for a true ferrari experience, then buy the 360 manual - and keep it since it will likely go up in price.

Mikael-F360, tomc, Robb and 1 other person like this.
  12. slysnake

slysnake Rookie

Dec 1, 2019
    Full Name:
    Dan Proctor
    Not sure what you're looking for but, assuming your keeping the Viper, I would think the California would be a nice complement. I've had a Gen 3 Viper for 12 years and just recently purchased a 360 but I haven't been able to drive it enough yet to give you a good comparison.

13. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    360 stick for the win.

Robb

BlackKnight and Caphill like this.
  14. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    OMG the 360 stick is more fun and will hold its value better. It is gorgeous. Handles better. Unless you need a half a back seat, there is no option. 360 all the way.

Caphill and Robb like this.
  15. vincep99

vincep99 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 8, 2009
    360 manual hands down

Caphill likes this.
  16. Ira Schwartz

Ira Schwartz Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2003
    Brooklandville, MD
    Full Name:
    Ira Schwartz
    I've heard of comparing apples and oranges, but this is more like apples and orangutans . . .

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. rumen1

rumen1 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 23, 2012
    Bulgaria
    That's a question, that only you should know the answer of.

18. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Formula Junior

Oct 30, 2017
    Tampa, FL
    Full Name:
    Adam
    Wait…your buddy had 1 of the 5 manuals and sold it for 150k?????

19. SCantera

SCantera F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 4, 2004
    Living Falls NC
    I have driven a couple of Calis....nice, dependable, convenient and have plenty of power. Just doesn't get my blood flowing. Traded my new '99 355 and waited 3 years for my spec-ordered [from Algar] 03 360 Spider. Didn't like it at all. Wish I had kept my 355. After 6 months I traded the 360 + 40k for a 550 and a 330 GTC. Best deal I never knew I was making at the time.

I don't mean to criticize the 360 or their followers and owners. It is a nice car w/ more development than the quirky 355. But for me the size of the 355 and sounds of the engine really make it a much more fun car to drive IMHO. Yes you will have issues with any 355....top, stickies, sensors, etc. However it handles and screams like a real sports car. The only other 8 cylinder that I like better is the 458....another story for another day.

So for me....neither. Find a 6 spd 355 spider and put up with the 5 year engine out and other niggling problems. It's a thrill ride :)

20. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
  21. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    I owned a gated 360 all last year and put 10k miles on it, one of the best experiences of my life!!!

JaguarXJ6 and Caphill like this.
  22. imahorse

imahorse F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2017
    WI
    Full Name:
    Dustin
    I haven't driven a cali, but I had a gen 3 viper when I test drove my 360. The viper was my dream car growing up and I didn't hesitate to offload it for the 360. So much more fun to drive. And my 360 isn't even gated if that says something. Only thing I really miss from the viper is the reliability and how the car hugs you.

23. vrsurgeon

vrsurgeon F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 13, 2009
    Charleston, SC
    Full Name:
    Curt
    OP you know it's going to be a 360. Just pick up a cheap one and then convert it at your leisure to F1 if price is an obstacle.

For the record, I would NEVER recommend a 355 as a first time buyer unless.. unless...

1) are a good DIY, have a lift in their garage with airtools and otherwise have a full mechanic setup in their home garage
    -or-
    2) It's the Ferrari they've always wanted for the past 30 years and the one that makes their heart skip a beat when they just look at it.

Texas Forever and killer58 like this.
  24. killer58

killer58 Formula 3

Jun 30, 2010
    CA & DC
    If they were animals, the 360 would be a Cheetah, the California would be a Bear.
    That's not an insult, you can't outrun a bear either. Both are fast, but the Cheetah is far more nimble.

I loved driving the California much more than I thought I would. But I would NEVER trade it for my three-pedal Spider.

Texas Forever likes this.