FF PTU Design Flaw. | Page 6 | FerrariChat

FF PTU Design Flaw.

Discussion in 'FF/Lusso' started by officeline, Aug 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    if its 18K now to resolve all more the reason to self insure...

2. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    They replaced it under warranty.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

[gTr] likes this.
  3. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

How long were u without it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. DavidRS4

DavidRS4 Karting

Oct 12, 2019
    For mine it was 2 weeks. It started on 12/23 so the holidays may have extended the time to fix.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. vegasviper

vegasviper Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Dec 22, 2005
    Las Vegas,NV

I don't know which hose.

6. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    So I knew I had the link somewhere, I just needed some time:

Swedish: https://teamspeed.com/forums/europe/524-swedish-teamspeeder-get-here-2215.html#post1352959

Googled English: https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=sv&tl=en&u=https%3A%2F%2Fteamspeed.com%2Fforums%2Feurope%2F524-swedish-teamspeeder-get-here-2215.html%23post1352959

And for the record, this is the Autoropa response on that particular FF and gearbox changes (all three):
    Or in googled english then:

7. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    They got it the Tuesday before Christmas and it was done by the next Monday

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  8. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    This sounds like the early gearbox problem and not the PTU problem. With early dual clutch gearboxes they could first only be replaced and then Ferrari trained staff in select dealerships to open and repair them. The PTU apparently cannot be repaired and has to be replaced.

9. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    I think it depends on what the problem is. Eurospares list several different types of PTU repair kit so they are definitely repairable.

https://www.eurospares.co.uk/parts/ferrari/ff-europe/all-pages/ptu-repair-kit-72219

this is anecdotally backed up by FChat members who have had their PTUs repaired for less than the $25k that the PTU alone costs.

10. Bamsefar

Bamsefar Formula Junior

Nov 26, 2012
    Please do note that in Sweden the PTU is called "växellåda", which will be translated to "gearbox" no matter what... And I might clarify this particular FF since I did some digging about it when I was about to buy my FF - it was the PTU that was replaced.

[gTr] and of2worlds like this.
  11. Jaguar36

Jaguar36 Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2010
    Cherry Hill, NJ
    Are you sure that's the PTU and not the main DCT? They mention two clutches, which is technically true for the PTU as well that is usually a reference to the DCT. They also talk about Ferrari working with a supplier, where as the PTU was designed in house.

12. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Update:

My 2016 Ferrari FF (17,000 miles approximately) was diagnosed by the dealer in SF as a faulty PTU/PTO which is the front transmission. They found an internal leak and it causes the DSG transmission oil to leak, when the reservoir is low, it throws all the 4WD malfunction codes, manettino failure, stuck on WET mode, and a few other codes.

When these codes are on, it shuts off the front wheels, so pretty much is a RWD car.
    I received an estimate from Ferrari of SF for over $40k for replacing the PTU unit including the labor.

I’m not out of my mind yet to spend $40k. So I decided to take everything apart myself and I’m determined to find the issue that is causing the PTO failures among all ferraris FFs and GTC4 Lusso.

So far the symptoms to cause the leak are:

1) engaging reverse at no acceleration makes the transmission fluid to overflow the plastic reservoir and caused is to leak all the fluid through the breather cap on the reservoir itself.

2) hard acceleration causes the PTO to throw oil out through the breather valve with the name on top “MINTOR”. That valve has a very low tolerance of not even 1 PSI, so anything happening inside the PTO probably will cause the valve to open and throw the oil out.

I’m debating in opening the PTO myself since I took out of the car or sending to a shop in New Jersey that claims to rebuild PTOs for the FF and GTC4.

I just hope Ferrari does the right things to their customers because this is a major design flaw and it’s happening among all Ferrari FFs and GTC4 Lusso with the 4WD V12. They should create a recall for this issue because it’s a safety hazard to its users.

Can anyone share more experiences with their PTO? Anything technical? Any referrals to get this fixed? Anything?

Thanks guys and I’ll keep you all update on my saga.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

13. ANOpax

ANOpax Formula 3

Jul 1, 2015
    The Netherlands
    Guilherme, thank you for taking the trouble to do this and investigate The PTU yourself. You do all of us FF and Lusso owners a service by undertaking this investigation.

May I respectfully suggest that in order to keep all of this valuable knowledge in one place and avoid multiple lines of enquiry, that you delete the duplicate postings you’ve made the other two PTU threads? It makes no sense to have 3 PTU threads running at the same time. Thank you.

14. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Hello and I appreciate your comments. When I looked on the forum for the PTU info, I found multiple threads with different issues and that’s why I posted on all of them to keep everyone informed about my journey and this might be useful for future Ferrari FF and GTC owners. I will keep everyone posted as I go with this issue as I have my PTU outside the car as we speak. Image Unavailable, Please Login

isellair, LARRYH, of2worlds and 4 others like this.
  15. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Sounds like the problem can occur again with a replacement rather than a repair.

16. otakki

otakki Formula 3

Mar 24, 2016
    Are you doing all that inside your own workshop

BusDriver likes this.
  17. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    I am doing myself.

otakki and Sonicsound like this.
  18. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Sadly that’s very true. By the time it breaks again I’m hoping ferrari releases a recall for all these defective parts.

otakki likes this.
  19. BJK

BJK F1 Rookie

Jul 18, 2014
    CT
    Like Porsche did with their IMS bearing? Don't hold your breath.

m5shiv and timjen88 like this.
  20. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Well hopefully this is different with Ferrari. With a bad PTU the FF becomes pretty much an useless car. So many errors, won’t have enough acceleration, etc. I’m pretty sure at some point someone will sue Ferrari for this issue and maybe then they will call all of them for a recall. It’s just crazy they still selling the GTC4 knowing of the PTU issues.

m5shiv, Nospinzone and BJK like this.
  21. Outrun

Outrun Karting

If mine goes, do you fancy an all expenses paid working visit to Scotland? Be cheaper than the main dealer....

Luckily i have the power warranty which i will be extending.

EndlessDoodles and of2worlds like this.
  22. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Highly recommend, especially for the PTU issue. It’s for sure happening for all FF and GTC owners. Other than that issue, the car is rock solid.

23. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    i recall a shop in new jersey telling me that the seals go bad in between the engine and ptu unit and mixes gear oil with engine oil.
    Basically a bad design flaw.

24. 2006m5

2006m5 Formula Junior

Dec 19, 2008
    huntingdon valley PA
    the ptu unit wasn’t designed by ferrari.

SAFE4NOW likes this.
  25. Guilhermerossi1990

Jan 8, 2020
    Modesto, CA
    Full Name:
    Guilherme Rossi
    Mine wasn’t leaking from there. Actually I couldn’t find any oil leak. Ferrari said it was an “internal leak”. When I removed the PTU, there was no mixed oil between engine and PTU. Definitely a bad design, hope they come up with a solution sometime soon.