458 - Throttle jerkiness - is there a fix? | FerrariChat

458 Throttle jerkiness - is there a fix?

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jordie999, Jan 14, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jordie999

jordie999 Rookie

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Justin Kay
    Hi - I need some advice. I'me looking at buying a 458 spider. I intend to drive the car regularly, not just for sunny days. I've heard from several sources that at slow speeds, around time, or even cruising trying to maintain a constant speed, the throttle is overly sensitive, which when your nailing it isn't an issue. I have been advised to find a car with cruise control, which I will, but have there been any software updates to resolve this issue. I am told it is a fly by wire throttle. Is there a cut off model year when the issue has been resolved? Thanks in advance....

2. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Seriously not much of an issue. No fix to my knowledge.

14RE458 likes this.
  3. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I drive in automatic 95% of the time (ducks and runs). The trans shifts up into high gears very quickly, will hit 7th gear at 37 mph or so. When driving this way, throttle is very smooth. If manual shifting and in low gears at higher RPMs, it is a little jerky/sensitive. Mine is a 2015 model. No 'fix' that I am aware of, but no problem either as far as I am concerned. If it is a huge issue for you, I would suggest a custom tune. Surge/sensitive throttle is often caused by lean mixtures. Have the tuner fatten up the fuel delivery a bit and see what happens.

14RE458 likes this.
  4. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    I guess I'm lucky. Mine is really smooth. Now, it was super annoying on the highway going a constant speed because of the valves, but that goes away if you put in a valve controller or just plug the suckers.

5. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Hahahaha - drive the car, don't let the car drive you. Seriously.

It's a prancing horse, not a VW.........

Borrow’d Mine likes this.
  6. FFan5

FFan5 Formula Junior

Jul 7, 2018
    Oh, one other thought, I've experienced this behavior in multiple cars that aren't' driven often and/or hard. If I don't drive the car for three weeks, it is a little jerky and unhappy until I put some miles on it and the engine smooths out again.

7. Ianjoub

Ianjoub Formula Junior

Dec 22, 2019
    Homosassa, FL USA
    Full Name:
    Ian Joubert
    I'll guess this was directed at me with the auto mode. When I start using the paddles I start driving like a hooligan. Fun, yes! Likely to keep me out of jail in the long term, NO! I pick my spots and play accordingly.

On that 'play' note I will likely rent the 1.6 mile road course at the Gainesville dragway sometime this spring. I'll post up to see if you/others want to come play.

http://www.gainesvilleraceway.com/apcm/templates/trackinfo.asp?articleid=2546&zoneid=69&navsource=History Image Unavailable, Please Login

DefunctNeurons likes this.
  8. wthensler

wthensler F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 27, 2015
    Gator Country, FL
    Full Name:
    William
    Absolutely!!! I’ll be your best buddy ever! We can trade cars.

Ianjoub likes this.
  9. PJxxx

PJxxx Karting

Sep 14, 2017
    Full Name:
    PJ Cusano
    Try alternating your foot position/ contact point on the pedal. For example, if your contact point is close to the base of the pedal near the floor board, you should feel less jerkiness. At least that’s what I do and I feel like I can blip the throttle at will and control the response to meet my needs.

Also, thin soled driving type shoes will help you as well versus clunky Air Jordans

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

Bandit23 likes this.
  10. JasonN

JasonN Formula Junior

Sep 24, 2017
    Full Name:
    Jason
    This is not an issue. I read about it prior to buying mine but found the claim an exaggeration. It is more of an on/off feeling compared to my 812 but don't let it deter you. The 458 Spider is a fantastic car.

11. jordie999

jordie999 Rookie

Jan 14, 2020
    Full Name:
    Justin Kay
    cheers, looks like an over exagerrated issue....

12. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    totally exaggerated! i think throttle is normal like any car.

13. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    Dear Terek,
    this is not my experience at all.
    May I respectfully ask you to make examples of the cars you drove and consider the same as a 458 in terms of throttle response?
    Thanks

14. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    Mostly i drive Porsche 911's . Driving the 458 without hearing about "jerky pedal" i would have never even thought that..seems normal to me

15. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    It is an issue, and there are tuners like openflash that can fix it. I am going to be talking to Shiv about getting mine to feel more linear. I cannot vouch for every 458 but everyone I've ever driven (which is a few) has it. I am more sensitive to things (comes with my condition) than normal so I tend to feel things that others don't (like a pebble in my front tire), but it is there and it is not an exaggeration, I wish it was.

Need4Spd and Shadowfax like this.
  16. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Yep annoying as it is its a normal trait. 458 and 488 both have a jerky pedal when in manual mode. It's not a deal breaker but it is a PITA. Pista is not nearly as jerky thank god so they've clearly been working on it. Ferrari will eventually fix it up one day. Bit like their crap media.....makes you wonder how on earth they've managed to get away with it in this day and age. Amazing really! I wouldn't use the jerky pedal as a reason not to buy a Ferrari but yes it is a problem. And for some to not feel it or even see it as a problem is equally astonishing.

Need4Spd and DefunctNeurons like this.
  17. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    This is an over-exaggerated issue, and can be controlled once you get used to the car. In the 458 series, the throttle on the coupe is more twitchy than the throttle on the spider. This is far less of an issue in the 488 series. (Yes, I've owned them all).

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  18. hmfic1

hmfic1 Karting

Aug 15, 2011
    Scottsdale
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    drive the car in sport mode, no throttle issue at all. In race, yes it can get a bit touchy. Other then that I have no problem at all with mine,
    and have driven it all most 30k miles, Just a great car, you will love it.

19. Corradosv

Corradosv Karting

Oct 17, 2016
    Monaco MC
    That's interesting: I have owned myself a 964 (not a good comparison) and extensively driven many times a 997 GT3, a 991 GTS and a 992 Carrera (I am lucky with my friends' cars!) and found all of them like apples to oranges vs my 458, in terms of throttle response.
    Thanks for having replied to me: the fact that you, and possibly many others, find Porsche's and the 458 the same throttle wise, and the 458 in particular "normal", is surprising to me and, as said, interesting.

20. simmadwn

simmadwn Formula Junior

Jun 10, 2016
    San Mateo, CA
    Full Name:
    James
    hi Justin - try reaching out to Shiv at https://www.openflashtablet.com/ ...he can definitely help you with that. I did it on my 458 and no jerkiness..good luck!!

James

21. I don't find the throttle to be twitchy -- either in the 488 or Pista.

But damn, the brakes are way too grabby.

22. lamborarri

lamborarri Formula Junior

Nov 15, 2015
    I have driven and had many 458's from 10-15. I would say a good 30% chance of them were jerky and touchy on the throttle. They did get better after I drove it or completely gone. Not right away tho.

23. ridege55

ridege55 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

May 9, 2017
    Manhattan Beach, CA
    Full Name:
    John
    Mine is a 2013 and definitely has that jerkiness. It's more noticeable in Race mode.

24. Live2win

Live2win Karting

Sep 27, 2019
    Pasadena MD
    Full Name:
    David perkins
    5000 miles on my 2010 458, all in the last 5 months. At first I this gas pedal is so sensitive, after 1000 miles I got used to it. Now I can play with the pedal to get the pop and crackel on downshifts .

drive the car , become one with the car can not due just driving on weekends . Once you do there is nothing better. You slip into the drivers seat and say ok let’s go this, the prancing pony with fo what you ask!!!!!It takes time to understand this car

Caeruleus11 likes this.
  25. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Agree Porsche's and Ferrari's throttle characteristics are indeed like comparing apples to oranges. Why certain others are unable to differentiate between these two is quite interesting indeed! Porsche's throttle being sharp, smooth, with precision modulation vs Ferrari which is basically the exact opposite in many ways. Thankfully Pista only has seen work in that area and now has only faint remains of this annoying trait. I found in 488 the jerkiness could never be overcome no matter how familiar or how much time was spent driving it. The throttle in that car was always a super fine balancing act between on and off in a bid to escape the kicking and bucking. It also had a negative effect by unbalancing the chassis in the corners particularly during fast on off throttle to brake applications. It would be nice to say one can work around it but I never could rid it properly and i sure tried.