812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference? | Page 2 | FerrariChat

812 without GPF or with? Is there power difference?

Discussion in 'F12/812' started by Sylvainsm, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I don't think Porsche is installing GPF on US-spec cars, only on Euro-spec cars.

It's not just a matter of removing GPF. It's also a complete reprogram of the ECU.

2. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Thereby voiding the OEM warranty I presume.

3. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    Yes. And in Europe, if you're caught removing OE-installed GPF, you go to jail.

4. Caeruleus11

Caeruleus11 F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He's saying Porsche themselves don't fit GPF to US cars, and thus, they likely use a different ECU tune. Thus, their warranty should remain intact since it is the manufacturer making the adjustment. However, my Porsche friends all tell me the US versions of these cars still sound bad and they say its because Porsche has some how engineered in the same sound and engine response as the GPF cars...??? Very strange if correct.

5. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    Why would Porsche engineer the same crap sound in non-GPF vehicles if they weren't forced to? The high pitched wail of my GT3 is one of it's most endearing traits.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  6. Eilig

Eilig F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 31, 2001
    Full Name:
    Cavallo
    I'll second that - especially with Sharkwerks exhaust. :)

7. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    Apparently Porsche is trying to mimic the back pressure from the GPF and my friends who are into all things Porsche say the cars don't sound good and they are baffled why Porsche would do this. Sorry, I can't explain it better.

8. Surfah

Surfah F1 Rookie

Dec 20, 2011
    You and I are in agreement on a lot of things:cool:

Just Say No to GPF!

9. Hex

Hex Karting

May 1, 2009
    That’s absurd. I have a 2019 US GT3RS with no GPF and it sounds bad a**.

10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Just an assumption - they may have the exhaust without GPF replicating the one with GPF (e.g. to get the same back pressure as mentioned) so that they have exactly the same ECU configuration in both versions.

11. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    My 812GTS will have GPF....I'll tolerate it throughout the warranty period. If there are proven reliable solutions by the end of warranty from the wiz-kids at Novitec and others...then I will pull it off and a new car will be reborn!

12. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    He says its on 2020 models. I'm not a Porsche guy so I am only going based on what he says.

13. Caeruleus11

Rossa Subscribed

Jun 11, 2013
    This would be sensible. But then, what's the point in not including it?

14. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    Please provide some support for your assertion that removing GPF can result in a custodial sentence.

15. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Hi,
    Any information if GPF will be installed in the USA?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

16. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Hopefully some place nice.
    Full Name:
    A.B
    It will.

17. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Can it be removed?

18. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    Not easily, and not without voiding the warranty. I'm sure the usual suspects will release a GPF delete down the line, but it is not there yet.

19. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    FYI - I spoke to a dealer in Sydney yesterday who had had the car there for a while.

He confirmed the GPF unit is fitted between the headers and the cats. My concern is that it will be virtually built into the engine and thus harder to remove (unlike an installation further downstream, say after the cats, which I think is easier to take out)

of2worlds likes this.
  20. gowthamn

gowthamn Karting

Jan 21, 2019
    Not concerned about power. But about sound. Has anyone listened to the 812 GTS?

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

21. KarlA69

KarlA69 Formula Junior

Oct 9, 2017
    UK
    Full Name:
    Karl
    I posted a youtube video (search '812 GTS rev') which was taken by a dealership in Sydney (which I spoke to). However, it's hard to tell from the video how 'good' it sounds, especially since it was shot indoors. It doesn't sound terrible and quiet like an F8, but to me it sounds different (and I own an 812).

For what it's worth, the Ferrari sales guy said they sounded very similar (812 and GTS). I did mention to him when we first spoke that I'd already ordered the GTS so no need for the sales pitch, hoping to elicit a (more) honest response.

Seems like a few GTSs are trickling out into the public / demonstrator models now so I'm sure it won't be long before a F chatter or you-tube reviewer gets their hands on one. If anyone can do (and film!) a side-by-side comparison of an 812 and a GTS (both with stock exhaust) they would become an instant hero!!

22. KenU

KenU Formula Junior

Oct 14, 2004
    Planet Earth
    Full Name:
    Ken
    I listened to a 2020 812SF in the flesh yesterday (Nov. '19 build) and the exhaust note, at start-up, idle to rev scream, sounded identical to my '19 SF. It's possible that GPF is installed starting with 2020 *build* dates. That info I don't have.

Caeruleus11 and of2worlds like this.
  23. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    I highly doubt an 812SF which has been delivered at this point, will have a GPF. That being said, I just asked a rep that just heard a GTS in the flesh, and to quote him. "I can't tell the difference, it's as pissed off as it ever was - I'm impressed". This guy is a car geek, and he does not pull punches. I've witnessed him in the middle of a showroom talking openly about his dislike for the FF sound compared to the F12 and Lusso, and continued into his displeasure about the added softness about the Lusso vs. FF. The man speaks his mind lol.

24. khal360

khal360 Formula Junior

Feb 17, 2005
    Did the 812 GTS have GPF? Early models may not. Thanks.

25. Il Co-Pilota

Il Co-Pilota F1 Veteran

May 29, 2019
    Full Name:
    A.B
    All and every GTS have a GPF as far as I am aware. But to answer your question. Yes, this one had GPF.

Caeruleus11 likes this.