At What Current Price Point Can You Buy a Boxer That Requires Only Reasonable Maintenance? | Page 3 | FerrariChat

At What Current Price Point Can You Buy a Boxer That Requires Only Reasonable Maintenance?

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Shark01, Jan 5, 2020.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BOKE

BOKE Beaks' Gun Rabbi
    Rossa Subscribed

Jul 13, 2009
    600 East Fremont Street
    Full Name:
    Lucky
    Come on, George, my statement was in response to Romano's post about the German odometer stuff. In most of Europe, "rolling back the clock" has been standard practice forever. The EU is taking steps to get tougher on it because it is costing billions a year on lost tax revenue.

Sorry that you live in Pittsburgh, though.:cool: I am originally from Cleveland. I don't miss rust at all since I moved to Las Vegas 33 years ago.;):rolleyes::eek:

Boxers are my favorite mid-engined Ferraris. They all are "grey market" in the US. They are the last hand-built Ferraris and require considerably more attention to the actual condition of the car than anything Ferrari has built since.

Thanks for posting the auction link. That was a very nice car when I last saw it in Scottsdale five years ago.

2. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
    I agree with Boke. I owned a BBi for 11 years and have watched the market for 25 years. The reliability of the odometer is always suspect. Owners sort of like the failure so it fits the mindset of many Ferrari owners of a low mileage Ferrari. I would not trust an odometer reading on any Ferrari of that era. Heaven help a Ferrari with miles on it. I have a 512TR with 37,000 miles on it. No issues. Mileage is way overblown except for bregging rights.

3. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart

4. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
  5. Capt. Rich

Capt. Rich Karting

Jun 9, 2008
    Palm City, Fl.
    Full Name:
    Richard Baumgart
  6. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I think the stuff we're talking about in this thread is relevant to any 40 year old Italian car. A 400i would cost just as much, or more, to own, even if it costs much less to buy. A 308 would be a little bit cheaper, but the reality is that any of them could be hiding $40k of issues... but the 400i is only worth $40k to start with, at best.

Your numbers were perfectly reasonable-- I think you can get a good Boxer for $200k, and then you have money left over to do whatever it needs... and they all have needs, no matter how good it is touted to be. Of course, if your standard is a super low miles, pristine, like new Boxer, then maybe not, but for a decent driver, I don't see why that wouldn't work just fine.

George Vosburgh likes this.
  7. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    The Black Car at RM look nice on the exterior, but the back interior was pretty rough.