car design thread | Page 382 | FerrariChat

car design thread

Discussion in 'Creative Arts' started by jm2, Oct 19, 2012.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tcar

Tcar F1 Rookie

Which looks exactly like the Soap Box Derby car my friend Chris built when we were kids.... (he didn't make it back from 'nam....)

tritone, of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  2. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I'm no longer affiliated with them so I certainly don't know the product strategy.
    With Cadillac going full in with electrification, it does allow them the opportunity to have a new vehicle architecture along with new proportions.
    What they choose to do with that is up to them and open to speculation.
    Stay tuned.

of2worlds likes this.
  3. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    colombo2cam, G. Pepper and jm2 like this.
  4. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    There are often a myriad number of conceptual ideas all car companies examine. Most wind up in the trash where they probably belong.
    But there’s always a number of ‘what ifs’

5. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I hope they do make an Elmiraj even if it's EV. It would sell like hotcakes as it would be the only good looking EV out there. I'm sure I couldn't afford it anyway, but I'd still want it even if it didn't have a huge V8 or whatever else could fit under that long hood. If you have any friends still working there, please pass my request along lol. ;)

jm2 likes this.
  6. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I can do that.

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  7. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
  8. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  9. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  10. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  11. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  12. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    330 4HL and jm2 like this.
  13. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    of2worlds and jm2 like this.
  14. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  15. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    I think there needed to be some adult supervision in that studio.

16. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    They're flexing their creative muscles...

17. Jeff Kennedy

Jeff Kennedy F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Oct 16, 2007
    Edwardsville, IL
    Full Name:
    Jeff Kennedy
    Sure, that might be one way of looking at it. My take is that they were allowed to go off "the deep end" and left out the idea that it needs to be reigned in to a sense of reality. The underlying sketches had developable elements that could have been made into something worthwhile. Instead, they used them to demonstrate how good of digital rendering skill someone had (aka: wallpaper).

jm2 likes this.
  18. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    Just watched an interview with the VP Design MB Gordon Wagener, and he said the vehicle was done with and for the movie Avatar and it’s characters. That explained it to me.

G. Pepper likes this.
  19. G. Pepper

G. Pepper Three Time F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 15, 2012
    Texas/Colorado
    Full Name:
    George Pepper
    The sketches you posted say Inspired by Avatar. :)

jm2 likes this.
  20. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
  21. energy88

Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    Full Name:
    John
    anunakki and jm2 like this.
  22. jm2

jm2 F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Aug 19, 2002
    michigan
    Full Name:
    john
    I just couldn't resist this piece on the Benz Concept at the CES, from www.autoextremist.com.
    Okay, so this is the Mercedes-Benz VISION AVTR concept that was unveiled at the Consumer Electronics Show on Monday night. Inspired by the second AVATAR movie that's coming soon (Really? We thought it was inspired by "Joker"), and as if that's not enough it is inspired by the "world of Pandora" and "a completely new interaction between human, machine and nature." Mercedes PR minions were working overtime on this release, saying, "The holistic concept of the VISION AVTR combines the design disciplines interior, exterior and UX on an unprecedented scale. The distinctive inside-out design structure combines inside and outside into an emotional whole and was inspired by several creatures from the movie AVATAR. With its stretched "One Bow" design and organic design language, the VISION AVTR offers a visionary outlook on the design of the future." Man, they pack a lot into these concepts, don't they? Other details? Instead of a conventional steering wheel, the multifunctional control element in the center console allows human and machine to merge. By placing the hand on the control unit, the interior comes to life and the vehicle recognizes the driver by his or her heartbeat and breathing. By simply lifting the hand, a menu selection is projected onto the palm of the hand, through which the passenger can intuitively choose between different functionalities. For example, real-time 3D graphics can be used to explore the fictional world of Pandora from different perspectives. The curved display module creates the visual connection between passengers and the outside world. Oh, there's more. The 33 "bionic flaps" on the back of the vehicle are reminiscent of scales of reptiles. They can communicate with the driver and through the driver with their outside world through naturally flowing movements in subtle gestures. Due to the possibility to drive the front and rear axles in the same or opposite direction, the VISION AVTR can move sideways by approximately 30 degrees, in contrast to conventional vehicles. The so-called "crab movement" gives the concept vehicle an animal-like appearance even in its movement. Alrighty then! The only detail about this thing that interests us? The VISION AVTR concept vehicle is projected to use a revolutionary battery technology based on graphene-based organic cell chemistry that is completely free of rare earths and metals. The materials of the battery are compostable and therefore completely recyclable. In this way, electric mobility becomes independent of fossil resources. As a result, Mercedes-Benz underlines "the high relevance of a future circular economy in the raw materials sector." Now that's a fantasy worth pursuing.

of2worlds, 375+ and G. Pepper like this.