Taken Off Market - 550 Maranello | FerrariChat

Taken Off Market 550 Maranello

Discussion in 'Ferraris' started by JMH90, Jan 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    Good Afternoon,

I am new to the forum; I have reviewed the rules but I apologize in advance if I have overlooked something!

I am in the market for a 550 Maranello and am well along on "the search." I have reviewed (and am continually reviewing) the usual listings (hemmings, autotrader, ebay, cargurus, BAT, etc.), and I have seen a couple of examples in person. I've also researched the vehicle for the past several months--this forum has been very helpful--and feel comfortable with the model (It'll be a first Ferrari for me). Here's what I'm interested in:

Exterior Color: Verde, TDF Blue, Giallo Modena, Rosso Corsa (in order of preference). I know finding a Verde is very difficult, so I'm not wedded to it.

Interior Color: Flexible, depending on combination, but Nero always acceptable.

Options: Flexible. I don't mind the usual Tubi modification. I'm most interested in the V12 and 6-speed, which come standard ;).

Mileage: Higher mileage is acceptable. Based on what I've read and understand with these cars, and from my own driving habits, I prefer a well-sorted car in great condition that has mileage to a low mileage garage queen. I do intend to drive this vehicle regularly, and would rather not pay the additional premium (and deal with the latent maintenance headaches) that comes with a low mileage example--I would quickly erase the premium I paid with my driving habits!

Understandably the presence of service records, the leather tool kit, the owners' manual, the three keys (including the red), and the OEM radio (and code) are all important to me. I'd prefer that the stickies issue and any leather issues (dash, etc.) were already resolved, and I'd prefer a recent major service, but it's not necessarily a dealbreaker for the right car.

Finally, any car in the Mid-Atlantic or the Northeast would be of even greater interest, but I would travel for the right car. Of course, I'd be interested in having an independent PPI performed if we were to come close to a deal and price. I am flexible on price to a point but am cognizant of the current market and have a range in mind (depending on the car, condition, etc.).

If you have a 550 you are thinking of selling, or are looking to sell, that is a potential match to my wishlist above I'd love to hear from you!

Thank you for your time.

2. padriver

padriver Rookie

Jun 3, 2010
    Mohnton, PA
    Full Name:
    Rick
    David_S likes this.
  3. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
  4. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    Hey Rick - It's John H (who spoke with you about your car prior to Thanksgiving). I can absolutely agree with what you've said (apart from the repaint option ;)). I'm trying to find the right color for me--that grigio is beautiful, but we have a couple grey beasts in the fleet and I wanted to expand our horizon. I certainly haven't ruled out your car, I'm just trying to see what's out there right now.

5. Nate Allen

Nate Allen Karting

Nov 20, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Full Name:
    Nate Allen
    Love that grigio. Very nice.

6. NE550

NE550 Formula Junior

Mar 23, 2017
    Omaha, NE
    Full Name:
    Dave
    John, seems like you've done your homework and you know what you're looking for. You are right to ignore the over-priced low-mile garage queens and go for a well-sorted and maintained "driver" that has some miles on it. Even so, as these cars are now 20+ (or nearly so) of age, pretty much any 550 you run across will need at least several items addressed. Don't expect perfection.

I spent about 4 months looking at 6 or 7 examples before settling on the 550 I bought, and it could take much longer with only so many 550s on the market at any given time. Naturally, patience is likely required to find just the right car (especially Verde). Once you do find one worth considering more closely I'd recommend traveling to lay eyes on and drive it, as even a PPI won't reveal everything. IMO, for the kind of $$ you're spending on a 550 there's no substitute for physically seeing and driving the car. At least the market has moved in your favor in recent months. Good luck!

7. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    Thanks for the kind words NE550! I couldn't agree more as far as physically seeing and driving the car, and understood as to your comment on perfection. No 20+ year-old car is going to be in the wrapper. I'm just excited to find the right car.

JM

8. ScottS

ScottS F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Mar 2, 2004
    Winter Park
    Full Name:
    Scott S
    How many verde were sold? I have never seen one. Anyone with pictures?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMH90 likes this.
  9. Bart

Bart Formula 3

Nov 1, 2003
    Orange County, Calif
    Full Name:
    Bart
    Is Southern California to far?
    12 cylinders or walk

ScottS likes this.
  10. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    JMH90 likes this.
  11. Simon^2

Simon^2 F1 World Champ

Oct 17, 2005
    At Sea Level
    Love the exterior... I'll stop with that.

JMH90 likes this.
  12. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    The person that spec'd it is probably red/green color blind...

JMH90 likes this.
  13. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    Bart-
    Depends on the combination! What do you have?

JM

14. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    I saw that listing - that green is beautiful. At this point, I'm looking closely at a TDF blue example, but there is also a Giallo that may be for sale that I should have the opportunity to see shortly. If that Verde were to appear somewhere before I pull the trigger, however...

15. cfensty

cfensty Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 1, 2008
    South Carolina
    I drool over TDF on any Ferrari model. Can’t go wrong there.

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

JMH90 likes this.
  16. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    Hi all- just to update this thread, I am still very much in the market. I have seen, and driven, a very nice Giallo example, but the would-be seller is not necessarily ready yet! I also took a very close look at a nice TDF example, but the seller was not really in the realm of reasonable on price. Looking for you sellers with a 550 in Giallo, Verde, or TDF Blue. I'd even consider other shades of blue!

17. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    [ Given that there are other Rosso Corsa US spec cars out there right now, I'm looking at them first before I look to a non-US Spec car.[/QUOTE]

To one and all; Please detail the Negatives & potential price differential of an "apples to apples" (similar miles/# of owners/service history/options/colors/etc etc) for a 550 ? I too am seriously looking to add a Grigio/Bordeaux (first color preference) 550. Best & thank you.

18. JMH90

JMH90 Rookie

Oct 10, 2019
    Philadelphia, PA
    Full Name:
    John Michael
    To one and all; Please detail the Negatives & potential price differential of an "apples to apples" (similar miles/# of owners/service history/options/colors/etc etc) for a 550 ? I too am seriously looking to add a Grigio/Bordeaux (first color preference) 550. Best & thank you.[/QUOTE]

300GW, presuming you’re referring to the differences between US Spec and Euro Spec. I came to figure out most differences in my search, but there are some threads on here that detail it better. There are a couple of differences depending on where the car is from. Note that Canadian cars and US cars are practically the same, with some slight bumper differences on Canadian spec (stronger than US, apparently), and a KM/hr speedometer. So the comparison is really North American vs. elsewhere.

Anecdotally, I’ve seen writing in the forums here and elsewhere that the European cars are slightly lighter and have slightly more horsepower due to different emissions equipment. On certain European models (UK, elsewhere?) you’ll find side yellow turn signal markers below the ‘pininfarina’ badge that aren’t present on US models. You’ll also note that on the center dash switches you’ll find rear fog lights, which are not equipped for North American cars (it’s a blank switch). Then there’s the matter of a KM speedometer vs. MPH, although not every other market has KMs equipped.

There were minor package differences too. There was a fioriano handling package that equipped a stiffer suspension, a lower ride height, an interior roll cage, the ‘barchetta style’ rims (sometimes referred to as ‘three piece,’ or ‘speedline’) among some other items. That package was not available in the NA market.

The bottom line is the cars are pretty close in spec no matter what country for which they were produced. From a price perspective (again, some articles on here that discuss it better) in the US market buyers are, somewhat irrationally, afraid of foreign models. I personally find this to be the most ridiculous when it comes to Canadian cars, which are basically the same, but I digress. The difference varies (and who knows with the coronavirus market!) but when I was looking there could be a $10-15k difference between US and Canadian, and perhaps the same or more between US and Euro

Good luck in your search! As an update to this thread, we took delivery of a ‘99 Rosso Corsa over Nero with red stitching throughout, a quilted rear shelf, Daytona seats, and the 3-piece Barchetta rims with 18k miles. She’s a beauty, and was the right car, with the right service history, at the right price. We couldn’t be more thrilled- it puts a huge smile on your face when you drive it :).

19. stan996turbo

stan996turbo Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 11, 2004
    Philadelphia
    Full Name:
    Stan
    Beautiful car, congratulations.

20. Gumbolover

Gumbolover Rookie

Feb 10, 2017

21. Gumbolover

Gumbolover Rookie

Feb 10, 2017
    My neighbor has an 01 Red/ Beige car that was her husbands, original owner, (he passed away). The car is in excellent condition, no known needs and very original. Recent major service, no sticky bits as I recall 15k miles with all the original stuff. I think she wants $150ish, if that works for you let me know and I'll try and connect the dots. If not, happy hunting!

22. 300GW/RO

300GW/RO Formula Junior

Nov 7, 2010
    east end LI
    Full Name:
    Jack
    JMH90 likes this.
  23. Qksilver

Qksilver F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 11, 2005
    Philadelphia