Aston Martin loses over half its value | FerrariChat

Aston Martin loses over half its value

Discussion in 'British' started by rocketman, Dec 30, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. rocketman

rocketman Formula 3

Oct 1, 2009
    NY & Miami
    Aston Martin Lagonda (AML.L) — 57.1% decline: Luxury car maker Aston Martin has had a dreadful first calendar year on the market, losing over half its value. The company has been dogged by disappointing updates, a struggle to turn a profit, and issues around financing. The share price has fallen by so much that there is now speculation around a possible takeover bid.

2. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    Sadly , They are done...…….

3. Bluebottle

Bluebottle F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 15, 2012
    Newbury, Berkshire, England
    Full Name:
    John
    Don't be too sure. They are now up over 25% since their lowest. DBX may be their salvation.

Boomhauer likes this.
  4. gtjoey

gtjoey Formula Junior

Aug 12, 2014
    I love them and have owned many but...…...If we are banking on a $230,000 suv to sell in the tens of thousands..
    Its over as n
    my friend Don Rickles used to state.

5. Robb

Robb Moderator
    Moderator Lifetime Rossa Owner

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    How along will the CEO have his job?

Robb

6. luvair

luvair Formula 3
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 4, 2005
    The CEO is hoping the DBX will turn company around. It may with the China market and focusing new woman owners in ROW.

Reports from U.K., suggest Lawrence Stroll, owner of F1 Tram is putting together a consortium to take over future control.

7. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    AM is done. I just hope they complete all their Valkyries as one last hurrah.

Robb likes this.
  8. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    There is no way the DBX will do for them what the suv did for Porsche. Totally different scale and price point.

Glad I got my 2009 vantage.

Robb

GuyIncognito likes this.
  9. [gTr]

[gTr] Formula 3

Mar 11, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    DBX is too late to the game and is launching into a fully saturated market. 3 years ago it would have saved them, now it will hasten their demise.

71Satisfaction likes this.
  10. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so the stock depreciates like the product. fitting.

11. amenasce

amenasce Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Ferrari just killed them. The Roma will absolutely take away most of their business. It's more expensive than the Vantage yes, but cheaper than the DBS. And probably a better car than both. Better looking, better finished and im guessing better to drive. Then add the fact that there are many more dealerships, the 7 years warranty etc.

Done. The SUV is just too little too late. Nothing amazing, not bad but just nothing that would steer me away from a Cayenne Turbo S or RRover SVR or if i like ugly ones, a Bentayga.

12. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Aston Martin will get a sales bounce in April 2020 when the new James Bond movie comes out.

But until then and otherwise, they aren’t making profits on their new cars at the dealerships currently.

Robb

13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    their best bet at survival is to be acquired by a larger existing manufacturer. Mercedes is the obvious choice. I think Ferrari or McLaren could make sense of it (Ferrari could have platform/driveline sharing with their front engine GT lineup, and it would give McLaren instant product in that segment), but then who races in what series without cannibalizing programs.

remaining independent or being taken private as a hobby business for a bored billionaire doesn't seem like a long term success.

14. Robb

Robb Moderator

Feb 28, 2004
    Full Name:
    Robb
    Mercedes would seem the ideal place to be able to invest in the cars and sell them higher than their mainstay.

Audi with Bentley etc.
    BMW with Rolls

Maybach doesn’t seem to be a player who sells any cars above amg...

But Mclaren could use the different type of cars. And they are both British.

Problems with F1 Racing sponsorships and relationships but nothing they can’t figure out.

Robb

Astrid.Didier and GuyIncognito like this.
  15. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    They should just start making db5’s again. Seriously didn’t they make a reproduction zagato and give them away for free if you were willing to buy the new one with it?

16. ryalex

ryalex Two Time F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Put me in the believer category long term. But they might have to restructure.

If Lotus is still around, then Aston Martin surely has brand value. What I honestly feel about it is that I love the cars but they don't have a clear Competitive Advantage. It's not the Most of anything.

plastique999 and boxerman like this.
  17. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
    Other way around, they were doing $mm reproductions that came with a new car AFAIK

18. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    that makes more sense and actually an even better case for saying screw it, and building new old cars.

ryalex likes this.
  19. ryalex

Consultant Owner

Aug 6, 2003
    Las Vegas, NV
    Full Name:
    Ryan Alexander
  20. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    ryalex likes this.
  21. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    Jesus. $3.5m? A nice restored db5 is $700k.

Are those fake gadgets really worth that much?

Boomhauer likes this.
  22. MotorMouth

MotorMouth Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 6, 2010
    MA
    Full Name:
    Dave
    have you seen those modified lambos in Japan? That’s who I see buying that thing. Or Saudi oil prince.

23. amenasce

Silver Subscribed

Oct 17, 2001
    Full Name:
    Joe Mansion
    I have no doubt they will sell, there is simply so much ultra high networth individuals and they are making so few that it is probably sold out already.

But after the db5 and db5 zagato, what else can they dig out to make money? Nothing else.

The valkyrie and these probably only pay for the benefits of their workforce if that.

Boomhauer likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    they can do a db4 SWB. They can even do another run of sb4 zagato a every decade. We’re on to sanction 5 already.

I would imagine what with Mercedes powertrains their development and production costs have dropped precipitously.

I don’t know how many dbx they need to make to be profitable. If it’s 5k per year they’ll do just fine.

as others have said the Roma will eat their car niche. possibly the HyperCars will
    Make money.

but Aston is but one recession away from going bang. Probably after that someone will buy the pieces and Regig the company. That’s how it’s always been at Aston and lotus.

it’s a luxury brand and to the extent there’s money to me made at selling 5k vehicles to the global 1% Aston can be a business. maybe when electrics come in all car companies will really be coach builders installing off the rack electric power trains, then a established luxury car brand may be able to go places.

25. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Do their public finances talk about how much they are making or anticipate to make from their "lifestyle" ventures? The Aston Martin Residences in Miami, submarine, etc? If it's more than just letting someone use their name for a fee I think they are spread too thin.