TR: Brake Upgrades | FerrariChat

TR: Brake Upgrades

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by xplodee, Dec 23, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Anyone try to fit brakes off of the 512TR or other models to their TR? I’m running 17” wheels and wouldn’t mind switching to 18” if necessary. I doubt I’m the only one to head down this path.

Are there others who have found Brembos off of one of the myriad of other cars that they came on which would work well? I don’t mind machining caliper carriers, rotor hats, and buying custom brake lines. Will the original master cylinder work with a larger caliper?

I don’t really want to pay the money for the Brembo off the shelf upgrade but would love to hear from those who have. Is their kit simply calipers, carriers, lines, and rotors?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    in my competition I have in the front calipers from the F 50 but still the same master cylinder

I´m running 19" wheels

xplodee likes this.
  3. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’d love to see pics of your car!

4. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Used to be a common conversion when they were newer cars and people used them on the track. Short of track use I have never seen need. On the street simply changing front calipers makes it worse. Brembo USA used to have a kit to put F50 calipers on the front but no engineering went into it. They just went through the catalog and found what they had that would fit. Really didn't work that well with the stock master cylinder either. The big calipers required a lot more fluid displacement than the stock master was designed for.

The brakes were very nearly a straight swap from the Daytona to the BB to the TR. The mid engine cars have far too much front brake bias and putting on bigger front calipers doesn't help that. The weight and the tires are in the rear and the Go Kart brakes back there are just along for the ride.

5. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    this is great information, thank you. My plan was an appropriate improvement in front and rear. Do you suggest a master cylinder change as well to make the most improvement? I’m already running modern tires, 245’s in front and 315’s in rear on 17” wheels. I’m trying to improve the wooden like feel of the brakes, especially at speed considering the car is capable of nearly 200mph

6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    If you are putting on bigger calipers you'll need a bigger master.

I would not describe TR brakes as feeling wooden. Maybe you just need to make them work correctly?

I have nothing against good brakes but with that logic no cars brakes are good enough and I certainly wouldn't be looking for them in a 30 year old car. Forgive me but I buy and drive cars for what they are, not what I can make them into. If I wanted better brakes, I'd get a 512TR or better still an F12.

MOSS and V4NG0 like this.
  7. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    I’m all for working through the existing braking system to make it function as best as possible. That said I am looking for an improvement in performance and I’m ok with modifying the TR because I wont be getting a 512TR and definitely not any other Ferrari right now.

So based on your response I guess there is merit in a 512tr brake upgrade. I’ll start looking into it

8. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

I agree with what u are saying. I was told the brakes were fine for their time. I didn’t really find them
    Uninspiring on mine, rather adequate for a spirited drive in a backroad that being said people tend to make the mistake to compare them with newer vehicles and that’s where I think this all starts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe and xplodee like this.
  9. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    oh yeah I’m definitely comparing them to new stuff. Having better brakes has its benefits (and we all know it). I know its not a new car, but I also know for a price I can improve the car within reason, thats what I’m looking to do and curious if anyone knows of some bolt on upgrades to make it happen

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like I said, Brembo used to offer one but I was not impressed.

Natkingcolebasket69 and xplodee like this.
  11. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Caliper bore sizes and master cylinder size has to be balanced. Be cautious with your selection.

12. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    At some point my 92 512 tr with teves brakes will need a complete brake overhaul. Calipers, rebuilt, new rotors and pads. I have been looking for rotors and pads at a reasonable price for a while. The stock front rotors are crazy expensive ($900 or more for each one). Teves pads for the front are $400-$500. Long story short, If you add up the cost for a rebuild of the front brakes you can be easily spend over 2 grand plus labor. I have started considering the Bremo GT Big brake kit for the front which retails for around $3600. and few hours to R&R. So my question is, has anyone did this and is it a good idea. Especially if I just refresh the rear brakes leaving them stock?

13. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

Not cheap but compared to the car in ceramic brakes from newer cars: still a bargain;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turbo-joe, Shamile and xplodee like this.
  14. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
  15. EZORED

EZORED Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 24, 2007
    Scottsdale, AZ
    Full Name:
    Dennis
    Yes I would also like to know the results? did you also do the rear? Did you need to upgrade the master cylinder?

16. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    I am preparing to go for the Brembo. Its always recommended to change the rear as well but I did not yet have a recommendation to change the master.

17. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    xplodee likes this.
  18. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    love your car! Was hoping you would chime in. Would you have time to take measurements for me sometime? I want to see if they’ll fit under my 17” wheels

19. todd6363

todd6363 Formula Junior

Jan 20, 2007
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Todd
    Was told had to be 18" to clear calipers- brembo has a (paper) pattern mockup you can get to see if their calipers will clear your rims.

20. johnghini

johnghini Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    Auto Gallery of Woodland Hills (when they were a Ferrari dealer), installed the F40 front brakes on mine; was done in '96. I've owned it prior to the conversion and ever since. Much more confident braking than the stock front spec particularly in a panic stop. I too have the stock master...I'm sure they would have recommended me change it if it were not up to the job. One of the single best upgrades I've done to the car.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

xplodee likes this.
  21. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Awesome! Is this F40 system the same as what Brembo sells?

22. johnghini

johnghini Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
    It is just the Brembo GT1 brake caliper which has been around forever...also the same as the "big black or big red" or "big brake" caliper upgrade for many Porsches. It think my rotors are 355mm.

https://928motorsports.com/parts/gt1_brake_kit.php

xplodee likes this.
  23. johnghini

johnghini Karting
    BANNED

Mar 10, 2004
  24. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    wonder if this kit can be pieced together from various cars featuring the Brembo calipers as OE. There are so many cars these days that come with four piston calipers, it would seem possible.

turbo-joe likes this.