Shipping from Italy? | FerrariChat

Shipping from Italy?

Discussion in 'Canada' started by Sweetworth, Dec 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Sweetworth

Sweetworth Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Has anyone imported a car from Italy to the Toronto area? I would appreciate a recommendation for a reliable transport co. Considering a purchase (over 25 years old) and would like to know what I’m in for before I commit. TFX doesn’t handle this. Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat

2. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat
    Try some of the expat relocation services (Crown comes to mind). Italy will be tough though, not much transits from there to here aside from food. You may be better off getting it sent to Rotterdam or Le Havre and shipping from there.

3. Sweetworth

Sweetworth Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks. You got me thinking... maybe I’ll take my wife and drive from Italy to Marseille then ship from there. Would be a fun way to kick off ownership.

Anyone ship out of France before?

4. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Hi,

I shipped a car from northern Italy to Calgary. I used Cosdel - Martin Button. In my opinion, the best. CARS is the worst. They once lost one of my cars for 6 months.
    When shipping, it's not the cost of the shipping, it's the end to end cost. You will be shipping from a land locked place to another land locked place so you have to look at the cost of everything involved. There is the pick up charges, the charges to the port,charges at the port, the loading, the trucking insurance, the maratime insurance (a big cost), and then a repeat of the first costs at the other end. I compared the costs of shipping by sea vs. shipping by air. For the extra $1,000, I shipped by air. My car was trucked to Heathrow, loaded onto an Air Canada 747 and delivered to me. The car was picked up in Italy on a Saturday, loaded on the plane on a Monday and I was driving it on a Thursday.

5. Sweetworth

Sweetworth Rookie

Aug 19, 2009
    Aurora, ON, Canada
    Full Name:
    Dave
    Thanks Shross. Can I PM you for more info?

6. Innovativethinker

Innovativethinker F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 8, 2009
    So Cal
    Full Name:
    Mark Smith
    I shipped an antique 3’ marble statue from Italy.

only broke into 7 pieces

DHL paid out 5,800 euro, glad it was insured.

7. tantumaude

tantumaude Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 3, 2016
    Burlington, Canada
    Full Name:
    Mat

That must have been a while ago, AC hasn't had 747s for 15 years!

My father shipped from Le Havre to Montreal twice (same car). I highly recommend driving it around Europe a bit if you can.

8. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Sure. I did this just two years ago.

9. shross

shross Karting
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 11, 2005
    Calgary, Alberta
    Perhaps it wasn’t a 747, perhaps it was- I wasn’t the pilot. It was a plane, flown by Air Canada, a regularly scheduled passenger flight and the car was in the belly of the plane.

tantumaude likes this.