94 512TR 66,000 mile major | Page 11 | FerrariChat

94 512TR 66,000 mile major

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by JIMBO, Sep 9, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The pump itself may need some gentle prying to break free. There is a large rubber gasket beneath the black plastic piece. The fuel pump itself is offset and requires extensive wriggling to come out of the tank.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  3. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    As of now I am awaiting arrival of my fuel pump kits from Dave Helms (Scuderia Rampante). I got the silicone heater hoses and replacement fuel lines from the local Goodyear hose shop (you can learn a lot about hoses and clamps from these guys). Italy sent TRutlands ONE CV boot. The second boot will likely be here after Christmas. I received the new SPAL fans from Wizard Cooling today (not unboxed yet). I thought about getting higher performance fans, but they draw 25 amps more current and the last thing I want to do is stress the already fragile 512TR electrical system. New fans should be more efficient and reliable.

When I was removing the engine, I cracked the plastic vent line that brings cool air to the alternator. It's just a piece of plastic. I could only locate used ones in Europe for $130 plus shipping. Again, it's just a piece of flexible plastic. I took the two pieces to my local Lowes store and searched through the plumbing department until I found this flexible plastic thingie that fits tightly inside the Ferrari pipe. A little trimming and some PVC cement, and we're good to go. I mean, come on, it just carries air.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

4. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The coolant lines go from the firewall through a tunnel in the center of the frame up to the heater core under the passenger side footwell. So to replace those lines I planned to connect the new line to the old line and pull both out from the firewall side. Normally you would tape or wire the two ends together, but I found this plastic barbed connector that should make the job easier. Once inserted, this thing does not pull out. You're welcome.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

5. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  6. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  7. Steve Magnusson

Steve Magnusson Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Jan 11, 2001
    30°30'40" N 97°35'41" W (Texas)
    Full Name:
    Steve Magnusson
    I haven't checked the 512TR schematic (because that's way too difficult, and you're not paying me enough ;)), but is the air injection system still present on your 512TR? That system uses 4 wires: a power and ground for the air pump, and a power and ground to run the electrovalves controlling the cut-off valves.

8. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    and how do you say then for an allen bolt screw with a thread of 8 mm and the allen tool is a 6 mm? it is still a 8 mm screw. for you then also a 13 mm?

9. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    I would think in US. most people would understand you use a 6mm allen wrench!

10. Clyde Romero

Clyde Romero Formula Junior

Sep 6, 2019
    Atlanta Georgia
    Full Name:
    Clarence Romero

I think it might be for the oil cooler fan
    Cars sold to Saudia had oil cooler fans

11. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Yes, Steve, the air injection system is alive and functioning and uses another harness.

You are wise, Grasshopper, and that makes sense since the oil cooler radiator sits on that side.

12. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Listen, everyone, my sole purpose in creating this thread was to hopefully give something back to the community that has helped me so much over the last 12 years. I'm not a mechanic. I'm not an engineer. I'm not that smart. If I have to remove a bolt and I ask what size, I mean the size of the wrench to remove it. If I need to buy some bolts on Amazon then I need to know M-6.
    Turbo-Joe,I'm sorry this bothers you so much (as it obviously does). You are absolutely right regarding 6 mm bolts having 10 mm heads. That information is good to know, but it makes things more confusing to the average gearhead like me.
    If this thread gives one person the courage (or insanity) to attempt a major service or repair on his own F-car, then I am very happy and satisfied.

MrAwilson and Axtellboy like this.
  13. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    Jim

you are writing here so good how you do all and also post photos that it would be much easier for someone to start working on his own car and may be one day start to try a major - and this is very good.

but I have since long time my own repairshop and never heard such dimensions before. also I asked some others working on cars and motorcycles but all never say to a bolt with a 13 mm head that this is a 13 mm bolt. it is a 8 mm bolt.

so I´m only absolutely confused about the dimensions what never could be. that is why I have interrupted your postings.

so how do you say in the US when you have a 1/4 inch bolt with for example a 1/2 inch head? do you say then to this bolt 1/2 or 1/4?

14. kartboy1234

kartboy1234 Formula Junior

Nov 10, 2014
    Palos Verdes, CA
    Full Name:
    Michael L
    Jimbo, thank you for these posts. It gives me hope that I can work on my TR.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    Turbo-Joe, thanks for the kind words. I'd call it a 1/2 inch bolt, but I'm a doctor, not a mechanic.

turbo-joe likes this.
  16. ago car nut

ago car nut F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 29, 2008
    Madison Ohio
    Full Name:
    David A.
    Turbo Joe, I believe your confusion on bolt size is maybe English is not you 1st language. I think most people in the US. understand what Jimbo is saying. If Jimbo explained bolt size like you suggest, I would be confused at first.

MrAwilson likes this.
  17. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The new SPAL fans arrived from Wizard Cooling. Same specs as originals but hopefully more efficient after 25 years of improvement. As previously stated, more powerful fans meant 25 amps more current draw. In my book, a no-no.
    Old fan is on left, new fan is on right
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

18. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    There is a rubber flange that sits on the radiator side of the fan housing. This pulls off the old housing and easily clips in place on the new one (wait, something easy? Am I still working on a Ferrari?).
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

19. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  20. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  21. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  22. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
  23. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    The coolant overflow tank needed a bit of tender loving care. Some of the paint had worn off along the seams and the tiniest bit of rust was starting. These tanks are $1200+ new, so it pays to take extra care. I cleaned off all the rust with a brass brush, got the whole piece clean in the parts washer and then gave it a coat of Eastwood Chassis Black epoxy. This stuff hardens like ceramic.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

24. GerryD

GerryD Formula 3

May 5, 2010
    North of TO
    Full Name:
    Guido
    Its too bad that VHT changed the red to a brighter red wrinkle paint a while back. Heres one we are working on right now with the wrinkle paint first and then the VHT caliper lightly misted on top of the wrinkle. Their caliper paint is slightly darker and closer to the original. I hope the black over the years dosnt start to show through on yours. Are you replacing your control arm, swaybar and shock bushings too?
    nt Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

25. JIMBO

JIMBO Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 31, 2003
    Bradenton, Florida
    Full Name:
    Jim DeRespino
    No, the bushings were replaced about 35,000 miles ago and look good. I don't have unlimited funds and you have to draw the line somewhere.
    Your paint looks good.