Gordon Murray's T50 | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Gordon Murray's T50

Discussion in 'British' started by Igor Ound, Jun 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Over $3m with taxes tips and tolls

2. roma1280

roma1280 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

May 2, 2010
    Palm Beach, Roma
    Would it be allowed to race with the fan?

3. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    2.5 or 3, more or less the same difference. But then with what a F1 sells for and this car having the same creator with the same singular vision, worth it for those who understand what it is and can afford it.

Its interesting that Maclaren has hung its hat on the F1. But when we see the new Malclarens and compare to the F1 or now T50 the reality is the F1 is more a Gordon Murray than a comtemporary maclaren. GM also clearly has the "name" to build and sell a car like this.

I also love that pretty much every purchaser contacted said it has to be a stick.

Maybe this car will convince the others to bring back a drivers car very now an again.

roma1280 likes this.
  4. 95spiderman

95spiderman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    How are they making reliable engine for street? V12 at 12k rpm sounds like would need full rebuild every month. Regardless, something weighing 2500 lbs w 700hp stick shift, 12000rpm, center driving position, and fan driven aero that was banned in f1? Omg!

roma1280 likes this.
  5. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
  6. Igor Ound

Igor Ound F1 Veteran

Sep 30, 2012
    The Horn
    Full Name:
    Igor Ound
    Gordon Murray working with Racing Point on £2m ‘fan car’
    Design legend Gordon Murray will work with the Racing Point Formula 1 team on the aerodynamic development of his T.50 supercar, which is planned to be unveiled in May.
    Adam Cooper
    The former Brabham and McLaren designer and his colleagues at Gordon Murray Design are to use Racing Point’s wind tunnel in Brackley, and “will gain insight and expertise” from the team’s engineers. The first official image of the T.50 shows the fan that is at the heart of the car’s advanced aerodynamics, echoing the Brabham BT46B that Murray designed in 1978, and which won the Swedish GP on its only race appearance.

The schematic of the cars layout is outlined below...

T.50 aerodynamics diagram
    Image Unavailable, Please Login
    1/3

Photo by: Gordon Murray Design

A production run of just 100 cars, priced at more than £2m before tax, is being built – and most already have customers, with deliveries starting in January 2022.

Murray confirmed last month that he had met with the World Endurance Championship promoter, Le Mans 24 Hours organiser the Automobile Club de l'Ouest and the FIA over the future hypercar rules, raising the possibility of the car racing in the Le Mans 24 Hours.

GMA says that the car “features six different aero modes that optimise the car for different scenarios to balance traction and outright performance. The most extreme – Vmax Mode – combines motorsport slipstream technology, extra power from a 48-volt integrated starter-generator, and ram induction to boost power to 700hp.”

Read Also:
    The car features a bespoke Cosworth V12 that revs to 12,100rpm, and weighs just 950kgs. Like Murray’s McLaren F1, it features three seats and a central driving position.

“F1 remains a deep passion of mine, so partnering with Racing Point to develop the T.50 is hugely exciting,” said Murray. “I’ve dreamt of delivering a road car with a ground-effect fan since I designed the Brabham BT46B F1 racing car in 1978 [pictured below]. The system on the T.50 is much more sophisticated than the Brabham’s and will benefit enormously from Racing Point’s expertise and resources.

“We were highly focused on achieving the purest possible form for the T.50, an objective we’ve achieved through world-first engineering innovations and active underbody aerodynamics. We will reveal the completed design at the T.50 supercar’s global debut in May.”

[​IMG]
    The controversial fan on a Brabham BT46B Alfa Romeo

Photo by: Ercole Colombo

Read Also:
    The deal with Racing Point sees GMA move on from the CFD focus that has hitherto been utilised for aerodynamic development. A 40% scale model will be used in the Brackley tunnel.

“Working on the T.50 with Gordon Murray Automotive is an honour and a privilege for everyone at Racing Point,” said team owner Lawrence Stroll. “Our aerodynamicists will utilise our wind tunnel to harness the very latest F1 expertise and experience for the T.50 project, ensuring Gordon’s revolutionary fan concept delivers its full potential.

“I have admired the design and engineering skills of Gordon Murray since his earliest days in F1, so it is a personal pleasure to support this project, which truly rewrites the rulebook on aerodynamics.”

elmadi and roma1280 like this.
  7. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    I love it! The only new hyper/super car that I find exciting. The risk of relying on what's basically a start-up is somewhat alleviated by Stroll's involvement. If nothing else, he's got deep pockets and willingness to spend big on automotive stuff...

8. lambchop

lambchop Karting

Apr 29, 2005
    Much more excited at the prospect of Gordon turning his attention to something in the realm of financial mortals while adhering to his design and engineering ethos. Shame his istream Yamaha sports car didn't bear any fruit.

9. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    will be interesting to see this compare to amg 1 and am valkyrie. personally, at this point i would take the valkyrie as my choice as its the most realistic seeming.

where do these 3 fit in scheme of things compared to pagani and konigsegg? and to the next versions of p1, laf, and 918?

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  10. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    there needs to be a race series with them all in stock form except for safety gear.

Tenney likes this.
  11. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    let’s split one!

12. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    Fast Masters 2!

13. nis1973

nis1973 Formula Junior

Jan 19, 2013
    NYC/CT
    How are we going to split it - lengthwise or crosswise?

14. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris

Summer / winter!

15. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    Holy cow that was great read. He really fired 1st salvo at vlkyrie and amg 1. Almost like his cosworth v12 is next gen from am cosworth v12. I think it will work out am has the best looks, amg real f1 car on street, and murray best driver. Amazing

elmadi likes this.
  16. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Truly awesome.

17. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    Wow. Just wow. This may be the greatest car ever made, ever...

elmadi likes this.
  18. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Thanks for the link.

I wonder why he isn't using magnesium wheels like the F1 and opting for forged aluminum. I didn't know carbon wheels could fail that way...I guess you would have to hit a curb hard to take a piece out otherwise I'm not sure how a stone would do it (assuming a small one on the roadway). He's using carbon ceramic rotors at least unlike the F1 which was too early to utilize it for street use.

19. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    My pleasure,
    Frankly I don't know the technical explanation for the forged wheels
    I like his philosophy about sportcars, their usability etc ..
    To me the exact opposite to the newey/ Red Bull ego project ( the Valkyrie)

elmadi and boxerman like this.
  20. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    great article. There’s everything about this car to like. Light, feedback evocative motor. What makes it so special is the focus like the F1 and that it’s truly meant as a drivers road car. The other hyper cars seem pointless vanity projects with no purpose other than exceeding some irrelevant parameter.

reading about the t50 we hear about real
    Things like suspension compliance, downforce at relevant speeds, steering feel and feedback, motor sound and characteristics.

even the idea he is making a track version so people will keep their road cars pure.
    To me it’s seems worth’s every penny and in a few years one will be able to add a zero to the sales price.

what will be interesting is if some other manufacturer takes the t50 formula and applies it to something more attainable, it’s really where lotus should be going.

Or maybe Murray will
    Put his genius to maki g the same type of car as the t50 in a more attainable wrapper once this one is done.

elmadi likes this.
  21. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Very well said
    We can only hope the stupid horsepower war will end soon and we will see in the future lighter, more compact and enjoyable sport cars
    A 1200kgs Ferrari hypercar powered by a NA V12 ( 900 hps) would be a great " tributo"
    And a manual gearbox too ( just my dream wish nothing more )

elmadi likes this.
  22. 95spiderman

Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    ny
    only thing missing is it doesn't look so great styling wise. Valkyrie is definitely the looker of the new bunch imo

23. jpalmito

jpalmito F1 Veteran

Jun 5, 2009
    Le caylar (France)
    Full Name:
    mathieu Jeantet
    Very impressive at first sight but I'm not sure it will
    be a future classic
    Sometimes less is better

elmadi likes this.
  24. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Anybody know how I get in touch with Gm.