Wakefoiling | FerrariChat

Wakefoiling

Discussion in 'Motorcycles & Boats' started by drjohngober, Dec 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Anyone here try wake foiling yet? I just ordered a Slingshot 82 cm wake foil from Santa.

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I foil surfed exclusively once I got the hang of it. My regular surfboards just collected dust.
    It was criminal-good fun on par w riding a sport bike.
    Party ended when I sucker punched my jaw w the mast and made a through and through hole in my cheek. thankfully no hard bits broke.
    now my foil is a drying rack for my trunks.
    Boy, do I miss it though. Super good fun.
    You’re going to love it. Image Unavailable, Please Login

wax likes this.
  3. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thanks, wow though, sorry to hear that. I have noticed that some guys wear helmets, I guess we should. We are in central Texas so only wake surfing but I guess could still hot the mast pretty easily

4. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I know guys who have had the spectrum of injuries from ribs broken from the rails to pretty significant face/scalp lacerations.
    Some people will wear an impact vest and others will do the helmet. I think it’s just what’s your degree of comfort. There’s no full face helmet option so ultimately you’ll never be perfectly protected. I think the best advice is just to not look down and not look at the board/foil if you’re wiping out. Oh, and keep a large distance from anyone else in the water, especially when learning. There’s like a cone of potential destruction radiating out from you. Carving close to people to spray them is ill-advised. Also you don’t really throw up any spray although I’ve seen guys do cutbacks off the lip on a foil similar to a short board. I have no idea how they do it. Mad skills.

5. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thank you. My son is a senior, hockey player at Penn State . He has avoided any major injuries so far ( played juniors for three years- no shield) but this could be different.

6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I started fouling 2 summers ago. It’s a whole lot lest strain than slalom and easily doable in choppy water. It’s fun to learn a new skill and new balance skills in ones 50’s

once you get the hang of it it’s really relaxing g and if you do t push too hard you’re not really falling.

still I would prefer a board with fixed boots so the risk of it hitting you is minimized,
    Had a few close calls.

it’s actually so efficient that you pick up the rise and energy of the water I. Front of the wake as opposed to a board where it’s on the wake. You also can’t slow down as one can on a wakesurfer so it’s a function or failing put away from the wake and then back to it in time before you loose the energy.

Can’t wait for the practical electric foil board

7. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
    Thank you.Looking out over glass today... might give it a try.

8. drjohngober

drjohngober Formula 3

Jul 23, 2006
    Cville and Gbury Tex
    Full Name:
    Dr.John Gober
  9. FerrariF50lover

FerrariF50lover Formula 3

Aug 12, 2005
    Ohio
    Full Name:
    Nate
    I'm interested to hear your thoughts. I wakeboard and surf pretty regularly. I'm coming off a AC joint/ ligament reconstruction surgery so this season is going to be interesting.