430 - What happens if you rev to redline when oil is cold | FerrariChat

430 What happens if you rev to redline when oil is cold

Discussion in '360/430' started by 24000rpm, Dec 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

it shocks me ,really

The chronicle

1. originally, the car had a small knocking sound if 5w40 is used, after oil is warm.. When changed to 10w60, the knocking went away, regardless of oil temperature.

2. the car was rent to a friend for a joy drive. He admitted that he revved the engine when oil is cold. Then he heard the huge knocking sound.

3. he didn't know the oil level has to be check when engine is running and determined that the oil is low.
    Then he added at least 1.5 liters of oil , resulting oil everywhere around the air intake.

4. knocking didn't go away.

5. removed and dissembled the engine, and found what you see in these pictures.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

tifosi101 likes this.
  2. Some Guy in the sky

Some Guy in the sky Formula Junior

Sep 19, 2018
    Maybe the title of this post should be 'What happens when you lend your car to a friend'.

E60 M5, Zed82, f355spider and 3 others like this.
  3. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

well, im technically inclined, and never was a people person. ..... so....LOL

oh, by the way, its not my car. somebody rent a car to somebody else. I know both

4. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Call me selfish and crazy but I will not let ANYONE pilot my F car. Not even my wife. If someone is going to break it, it's going to be me. That's what I tell people who ask anyway.

Probably more on the selfish side than crazy...

I suspect the engine was on the way out already.

Hazim, Shahaf, imahorse and 5 others like this.
  5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Long term damage. Not a single event.

The outcome of quite a few poor decisions, not just one.

The need to put in heavier oil to get rid of a bearing knock was a very big clue.

Racer_X, Flea7, KC360 FL and 6 others like this.
  6. ttforcefed

ttforcefed F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Aug 22, 2002
    stupid is as stupid does

7. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

my thought too. But the cold rev is the last straw.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Thats like saying after 2,000,000 cigarettes the last one killed him.

Sorry, just not reality.

9. fiorano#7

fiorano#7 Karting

Jun 22, 2008
    Wellington Florida
    Full Name:
    Robert
    Yes, I am always amazed! PALM BEACH CONCOURS last weekend, some hotshot got in a stone COLD, No miles La Ferrari and just started revving it to the Redline. Ferrari engines are pretty bulletproof, just not stupid proof. Just because a car has low miles doesn't mean some Moron with a with an Ego hasn't trashed the motor.

10. 360trev

360trev F1 Rookie
    Project Master

Oct 29, 2005
    Gibraltar
    Full Name:
    360trev
    Funny enough as a new safety measure I've just been adding a new feature to the programming of the 360 (and later F430) engine ecus which adjust rev limiter on the fly.

It's a new table that uses oil and coolant temperatures to gradually increase the rev limiter to final max rpm. So from a cold start you cannot go anywhere close to the red line.

becir1, Hazim, kes7u and 19 others like this.
  11. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    Do you have a timetable, even a rough one, when your product will be available and what form it will take?

Thanks!

12. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    You cannot protect against stupid - the 10/60 should have been ringing alarm bells

Rifledriver likes this.
  13. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That looks like my V8 Vantage's engine when I took it apart after it spun a rod bearing. I agree that this didn't happen from one event but after many years.

14. Themaven

Themaven F1 Rookie

Nov 2, 2014
    Eastdown
    Full Name:
    Darius
    What car’s engine is this? I’m not technical but it looks very painful.

15. LorenzoR

LorenzoR F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Pure stupidity, anyone who doesnt know enough to warm up these cars first before reving it up should be behind the wheel of one of these cars,,,fricken dumb

16. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    I had to let one person drive my car. My brother is 7 years older then me. When I was 16 in 1970 him and his friends had already graduated college. One had become architect. He had bought a new Porsche 914 and came by my Mom's house because my brother was visiting. He threw me the keys to the 914 and said take your friend for a ride. We spent 1 hr on backroads in it. When he found out I have bought a 430 37 yrs later he asked to drive it. How could I say no. I took a speedometer showing him going 165 mph. By the way, he still owns that 914

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

EastMemphis likes this.
  17. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    My brother bought a Maserati Mistral in boxes many years ago when we were sharing a house. It took him six months to put it back together. He never let me drive it. I'll return the favor if he ever asks about my 360.

alum04org likes this.
  18. 24000rpm

24000rpm F1 Rookie

its a 430 coupe

19. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    For painful, read highly expensive- probably cheaper to buy a used engine. It has buggered the crank which will need grinding and oversize bearings fitted- wonder what damage it has done to the cams and heads. This is a bottomless pit rebuild.

20. tifosi101

tifosi101 Karting

Jun 12, 2013
    France
    I do not agree with that, this type of failure (seizure) can happen in few seconds if defect in the oil circuit. I see it very regularly on industrial engines (oil pressure, air bubble in the circuit, play of greasing, etc etc).

one4torque likes this.
  21. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    Uh oh....you've done it now...

brian.s, kes7u and jcurry like this.
  22. KC360 FL

KC360 FL Formula 3

Jun 20, 2017
    Melbourne Florida
    Full Name:
    KGC
    Well... I disagree. There is one very big factor in the scenario the OP puts forth.
    1: the engine was already "knocking" for some time-- we all know that's worn out bearings. The remedy was to use "thicker" oil. That's achieves nothing. Add red lining when cold-- that's a recipe for disaster. The above indicates that the engine was either high mileage and or not well maintained. I'm putting my money on not very well maintained. After all the OP said it was a "rental".

I can only imagine the number of fools that "rented" the car with no concern for anything but their short thrill ride to impress.

as a side note; this is why I would never buy a 430 (or any exotic) that has had over a dozen owners in just 12 years. Think about it...

23. one4torque

one4torque F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

May 20, 2018
    Houston
    Full Name:
    One4torque
    Rotating at 6000-8500 rpm a lot can happen instantaneously.

Agree the knock over time.

the crank carnage can happen in an instant of starvation heat rpm. All my internet Free opinion.

:)

24. mike32

mike32 F1 Veteran

May 13, 2016
    Isle of man- uk
    U got that right, i await the fireworks

kes7u likes this.
  25. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    And when you inspected this engine did you find said defect?

Did you not read the part about the bearing knock prior to lending the car out? Did you not read the part about using 10-60 oil to cure it?

You sir are an idiot.

brian.s likes this.