Ode to the Boxer | FerrariChat

Ode to the Boxer

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by boxerman, Aug 12, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Last wednesday my young nephew begged a BBI ride. We went out midday, it was maybe 82 out and as long as the boxer was rolling we were fine. But midday traffic was what it is, we were moving but the cars were in thick clusters, so no fun in aBBI.

Then I went for a different road and suddenly we were in stop go as the road went from two to one lane due to road work. We had maybe 2 miles of stop go. The BBi handles it just fine, as they do, but the passengers, man were we hot and uncomfortable. Not to mention the fear of the inattentive suv driver behind on their phone not hitting their brakes. Up the road in front was new vette, and I imagined them windows up ac blasting stero on, in complete confort waiting for the traffic to clear.

Once the traffic cleared and we looped back it was epic, beautiful 80-100 sweepers and tighter bends, playing the motor chasiis and wheel, full enaggement, the machine being an extension of the driver. Theres not a vette or any modern than can do that, theyre just to isolated, and cursed with excess ability below which youre isolated.

To me the BB is a car built for an era that no longer exists. The open country road or twisty parkway/highway. Traffic free where you can really work the car on the road. The Bb is a glorious anachronism, if you can get it on the right road at the righ moment its simply is sublime, outside of thse conditions, well it will cope just fine, youll suffer though.

TheMayor, miurasv, ChipG and 7 others like this.
  2. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

I can relate. Stuck for 45 mins in bumper-to-bumper traffic. Although I could have put on the AC, I did not. Once over the Whitestone bridge I was able to cool off. Image Unavailable, Please Login

xplodee likes this.
  3. JohnMH

JohnMH Formula 3

Jan 28, 2004
    Dubai / Bologna
    Agreed, I decided to spend my August break in Europe rather than come for my customary summer trip to Toronto. While I love my BB and CT which are stored in Toronto, the thought of idling through 401 / 400 construction for hours in either (or getting tapped by a SUV) has less appeal. Great, twisty, empty open roads still exist in the world (am tapping this out over cappuccino from the top of the Raticosa pass in Tuscany - greetings).

4. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Agreed about the drivers..here in the Colon of the U.S., Florida, the drivers are the worst. And taking the car out is a challenge in situational awareness and defensive driving!

5. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    I've had a lot of exotic cars and honestly, the BB is probably my favorite of all.

miurasv and ferraripete like this.
  6. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I heard about these two guys sometime who got in a BBI and started drivign and driving, all Ct backroads through to masschusetts. they were at ti for hours and on the way back on a lonely stretch of country road passed an officer. Assuming thinking maybe he didnt see them they decided the best course of action was to press on. A valley or two later they noticed a car miles back they were not pulling away from. They slowed down and waited for the car to catch up and it was a cruiser which needless to say put on its lights and .pulled them over. He let them sit on the side of the road for 15 mins doing his thing, then he got out went to the window, he ased what the car was and they responded a 512BBI. He asked if they knew how fast they were going. The driver responded would you believe its an old italian car and the speedo dosent work. The officer informed them of their velocity being in the 136 range and proceeded to say his machine was broken so they should just get the hell out of there.

People who like cars and driving love boxers.

7. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ
    Consultant Owner Professional Ferrari Technician

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
  8. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I reckognize that wheel and road.

9. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Yep!

Last drive of the season unfortunately.

10. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Has to be tough to live somewhere with a driving season. I couldn’t do it!

11. Newman

Newman F1 World Champ

Dec 26, 2001
    Canada
    Full Name:
    Newman
    Off-season down-time can be a good thing actually. I put a lot of kms on the cars and motorcycles then spend the winters fixing them!

12. 4right

4right F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

That’s some good oil pressure! My doesn’t run that high, more like 40 to 50 max.

13. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    #14 boxerman, Dec 10, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2019

Double edged sword. As Newman says gives time to work on cars, I also find that it makes one appreciate the summer so much more, and every spring pulling the cars out is like unwrapping birthday gifts all over again. Also in winter the CT back roads are even more quiet, no bicyclists or leaves on trees(sightlines through corners) or much traffic, but due to salt and sand you need a disposable car and somethingn FWD or AWD. Im a glass full kinda person.

The driving possibilities then offer opportunities in some ways better than summer, but who wants to trash a nice car(or an older car) with sand and road salt, so its cockaroach suv time. The solution then is something new fast and disposable, in which case youre likely to see more speed more often than in summer(off the track).

The problem is most moderns which would work in winter, are like most moderns in general, too synthesized to really enjoy driving and too isolated to be viceral.

I would love an audi RS3 hatchback, which we cant get there.

At this very moment Im flirting with the idea of a disposable Civic type R.

14. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    lived in NOLA for 5 years, wish I still had that climate.

15. cnpapa24

cnpapa24 F1 Rookie

Jan 19, 2014
    NOLA
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Really? let’s chat.

16. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Pm sent.

Meanwhile its snowing outside. Looks nice but Ugh.

Hitting the road Monday with daughter to Florida, via Loiusville Asheville Savanah and random stops in between. Fortunately my Daughter despite being of the screen, internet, gps generation has learned to read a road map and become converted to the Great American tradition of the open road adventure.
    I have always found the South(outside of some major metro areas Atl,Fl etc) to be exceptionaly friendly and open.

last year we pretty much got off the highway south of DC and did mostly backroads. Each time we stopped on the side of the road someone coming by would slow down and ask if we needed help. A mercdes with NY plates makes one a near celelbrity in many areas, could be the presidential effect. But Ive always found Southerners to be more open and friendly than Northerners, plus the food, music etc.

First time I drove down south was in a 1980 z28 many moons ago. Passed through Chattanooga and wondered then what it was like. Stopped there last year finaly.

If we could drive 100+ then a BBI Tr or somethign of that ilk would be a great way to go once one got south of Dc, but sadly we cant.

Fastest consistent driving Ive seen east of the Misssisipi was Tenesse, going through the moutains from Nc to Tn theres about 45 mins that cuts through a federal park 2 lanes of twisties in each direction, hardley any exits of on ramps, perfect BBI territory, I really wished I had it there then. Was behind a Nissan and comming down the mountain he didnt touch his brakes once, perfect apexes etc, art, and we were Moving in drizzle. After that on the flatter areas even if you passed an old clapped out civic at 90 they came charging back and passed you at 95, its also the place where the dodge challenegar rules. That cars been in production for 15 years or more and the used ones seem to go to Tn. If the Camaro was the national car of BC then the Challengar is the national car of Tn.

Maybe a Challengar is the ultimate road trip car, but may be a bit large for my Ct backroads. Ah to find the perfect all rounder that is fun too, can be parked on the random street.etc.

I also notice that in contrast to the 80's and 90's, down South many if most cars are now foreign nameplates, maybe because many of the factories are in the south and also working people need inexpensive to run reliable transport.

17. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    It's day like these when the BB AC works great!

Newman likes this.
  18. ralfabco

ralfabco Two Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa

Mar 1, 2002
    Dixie
    Full Name:
    Itamar Ben-Gvir
    I put big beach towels on top of the seats. The towels helped.

You may want to consider a hi quality battery powered fan.

19. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Fall and spring are the best Boxer seasons for me. Those crisp days with just a little chill in the air are perfect. I’m fortunate to live near some beautiful, twisty country roads with little traffic and if it’s one of those “Boxer days” a nice long drive to lunch at my favorite outdoor pub becomes mandatory. I took my BB512 to Classic Coach to have them do the engine out belt and valve service this winter. While we were going over the car, Carlos asked me about the A/C, to which I responded “Ha, I never even bother”. He asked if I’d like it if he was able to get it functioning well. “Hell yeah!” Was my response. I’m not optimistic, but we’ll see what happens.

In the meantime I’ve stumbled upon a delightful foul weather beater car. It’s an ‘04 Mini Cooper S (R53). These are the supercharged versions. This particular one is a MC40 special edition that celebrates the 40 year anniversary of Paddy Hopkirks David vs Goliath victory in the 1964 Monte Carlo Rally outright with a Mini Cooper S, which really put Minis on the map. I was looking for a fun beater car to drive when all the snow, muck, and salt were on the roads, and a friend had this nice low mileage Mini he was about to sell. so we did a quick and easy deal. Somewhat to my surprise, I’ve really fallen for this little car. It’s an absolute blast to drive. This had been modified with a smaller SC pulley, exhaust, intake, and tune and makes about 220 hp. The engine note and supercharger whine above 4,000 rpm is addicting. It came with two sets of wheels so I run the Blizzaks in the winter, and it will plow through any snow short of high siding it on it’s frame. The summer wheels are sticky Michelin Pilot Sport Cup II’s that make the thing an animal through highway exit ramps. It seats four reasonably, and the rear seats fold down so you can actually carry a surprising amount of cargo. I initially thought I would remove the numbers and Monte Carlo stickers, but just couldn’t bring myself to do it. The driving lights are really effective and turn dark roads at night into daylight, and can inflict a severe penalty on any oncoming cars that rudely don’t dim their high beams!

Sorry for the long diatribe, but for anyone looking for a fun and functional foul weather beater car, I highly recommend an R53 (2002 - 2006) Mini Cooper S. R&T recently even ran a piece highlighting how much fun they are.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

R&T article
    https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/buying-maintenance/a30177/mini-cooper-s-buyers-guide/

ferraripete likes this.
  20. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    wrong thread
    what has a mini to do here in the "ode to the boxer" ? :(

21. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ

ferraripete likes this.
  22. DonB

DonB Formula Junior
    BANNED

Nov 11, 2003
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Don Bartz
    Hey John..

Be sure and let us know what happened with the AC and any advice your mechanic gave you...upgrades that sort of thing....

23. John B

John B Formula 3

May 27, 2003
    NJ
    Will do. That would be great if the A/C can become useful.

24. dwhite

dwhite F1 Rookie

When I did my engine out in 2016. I evacuated and replenishment the system with R12 and honestly if you set the AC per the manual it works well and it blows ice cold. Now if its 85+° degrees out, I'm probably not sweating, but I'm not looking to wear a long sleeve shirt.

I'm a glutton for punishment so I drive it anytime if I feel the urge, which is often and like to hear the noise, so almost always windows down.

This will probably be the car I will kick myself when I pass it along.