1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for | Page 3 | FerrariChat

1966 aluminum Ferrari 275 GTB searching for

Discussion in 'Vintage (thru 365 GTC4)' started by asgtech, Dec 5, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    That's correct. The paint was non metallic lacquer. (If the paint isn't Amaranto or Cordoba it's very close.)

I had Chinetti Motors in Greewich replace the muffler in 1970 or 1971.

N.A.R.T., of2worlds and crinoid like this.
  2. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    That rules out Rosso Cordoba Metallizzato 106 R 7 then.

3. mcimino

mcimino Formula 3

Oct 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I find this way more intriguing than an Agatha Christie detective novel. :)

greg328, MrAwilson, Rude86 and 3 others like this.
  4. Marcel Massini

Marcel Massini Two Time F1 World Champ
    Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Ok, no Cordoba and no Amaranto.

Rosso Rubino 106-R-12?

@Mr. Gagarin:
    Did the car have power windows or not?
    Did the car have any headrests? Driver and passenger? Just passenger? None at all?
    Did the car have seat belts or not?

And WHO installed that huge radio antenna on the left rear? When you purchased the car, did it already have this antenna or not?

In the photos of post #1 the car shows the original Italian rear license plate frame (behind the green Vermont plate). At the time of shipping to Jacksonville, FL/USA, were there no license plates at all? Neither Italian nor USA nor any others such as customs or transit plates?

Marcel Massini

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  5. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    #55 miurasv, Dec 8, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    Is Amaranto a metallic colour?

Here is 250 TdF 0895GT which is said to be Amaranto.

Pic by owner Fchat member Roma1280.

Image Unavailable, Please Login

TxTornado and of2worlds like this.
  6. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    It did not have power windows. (As best as I can remember)
    It did not have headrests.(As best as I can remember)
    The car had seatbelts. Two inch black straps. I replaced these belts with three or four point racing type belts. Wide lap belt with a lever for attaching the shoulder harness.
    I'm embarrassed to say that I installed the large antenna. It originally had a small pull out antenna in that location.
    It had a Blaupunkt radio. I think AM only. I think I replaced the radio.
    I believe that it had no license plates. I don't remember having any qualms about driving it home from the dock because it had no license plate. Therefore I think I must have brought a set of Florida plates to the dock. As a funny aside, I do remember that there was a thunderstorm on the way home and I had to pull over because I couldn't figure out how to turn on the windshield wipers. I looked in the service manual but remember laughing when I found it was in Italian and of no help. I had to wait out the storm.
    I also now cringe at the thought that I installed the driving lights in the front. I beg forgiveness but back then it was just a car.

I really appreciate and thank you for all your help. Even if in the end the car can't be identified, I hope that this post has brought to light a heretofore unknown example of the marque.

Andrew Gagarin

Hightower, Tenney, NbyNW and 4 others like this.
  7. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    I have genuflected over your post and given you absolution. They were just cars and we just drove them and enjoyed them. We were lucky to have done so when we did.

8. TTR

TTR F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 29, 2007
    Riverside, CA
    Full Name:
    Timo
    Mr. Gagarin,
    No need to apologize, like any other ever manufactured and assuming it exists today, your old 275 is still “just a car”.

P.S. Looks like Brian was faster with his offer of absolution. :)

of2worlds likes this.
  9. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    another clue to its i. d. would be that he bought it in italy and it had an italian owners manual. how many alloy 275’s were delivered new in italy?

10. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    The story {see post #3} was that his GTB had been owned by a Ferrari racing team driver. Any pictures in the 1966 edition factory Ferrari Yearbook maybe?

miurasv likes this.
  11. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    35 longnosed six carb alloy 275 GTB's built in total.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, 375+ and miurasv like this.
  12. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #62 Marcel Massini, Dec 8, 2019
    14 (fourteen) longnosed six carb alloy bodied 275 GTB's were delivered new in Italy.
    Of these 14 cars:
    1 was Rosso Cina
    5 were Grigio Argento
    1 Marrone (#08029)
    1 Verde Scuro
    1 Rosso Cordoba (#08051)
    1 Verde Pino
    2 Rosso Chiaro
    1 Celeste
    1 Nero

Marcel Massini

christc, of2worlds, donv and 2 others like this.
  13. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No, it is not. It is flat. Non-metallic.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds likes this.
  14. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Thanks, I thought it looked non metallic. I wondered why you eliminated it, but I realise now it was because Mr Gagarin had more or less done so along with Cordoba(?)

15. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    No Amaranto 275 GTB/6C Alloy built.

Marcel Massini

of2worlds, miurasv and 375+ like this.
  16. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    275 Owners Manual n.01/65 was in Italian/English/French languages. Mr. Gagarin stated that he received a standard Parts Manual(n.03/65) and a brown cover shop manual. I believe that there was one edition of each(both Italian language only) until the Revisions 31-12-65 n.10/66(a supplement to n.3/65).

No luck in the 1966 YB Charles, just photos of a few privateers competing and some celebrities taking delivery. It might well be a tall tale by the late Sig. Corradini.

miurasv and of2worlds like this.
  17. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Is 07809 in amongst the 14?

18. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    Steve is 07809 a 6C?

19. miurasv

miurasv F1 World Champ

Nov 19, 2008
    Cardiff, UK
    Full Name:
    Steven Robertson
    Claimed to be.

20. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #70 Marcel Massini, Dec 8, 2019
    If the car in question was REGULAR red, Rosso Chiaro 20-R-190, and not Marrone, Cordoba or Amaranto, and the pix in post #1 are too faded to show the color properly, then there was chassis #08157, an alloy bodied longnosed 275 GTB/6C with a Nero VM 8500 interior, sold new to the Italian Pirelli Tyre Company who used it from 1966 to 1968 for testing and then sold it to the second owner Mr. Pietro Achilli in Milan. 08157 was officially exported from Italy to USA on the 15th January 1969, and as of 1983 was in Thomaston/Connecticut.
    Mr. Gagarin said something of a race driver (Pirelli tyre company) and a sales and/or export date of February to May 1969. And somebody (Dougherty) in Connecticut was mentioned as well. From Danbury to Thomaston it is 37.4 miles, according to google maps.
    Here's a pic of 08157 at the Pirelli proving grounds, pic taken from L. J. K. Setright's book "Ferrari", published by Foulis/UK.
    If Mr. Gagarin's car was this one it may have been repainted a darker red.
    Maybe this is all just pure speculation.

Marcel Massini

Image Unavailable, Please Login

of2worlds and 375+ like this.
  21. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    #71 Marcel Massini, Dec 8, 2019
    07809 is an alloy bodied longnosed six carb 275 GTB (originally Rosso Cina) sold new to Lucano Conti, founder and publisher of Italian automobile magazine "Auto Sprint" in Bologna (and later the owner of the superscarce 365 GTB/4 Daytona Berlinetta Alloy #12653 I found in Japan early 2017). Conti was a personal friend of Enzo Ferrari and always got something a bit more special, he also had a 250 GT SWB Berlinetta and several other fabulous Ferraris.
    07809 is the XLVII Torino Motor Show car November 1965 and was raced by Conti in the 8 May 1966 Targa Florio (see superb color photo in Tony Adriaensen's book "Ten Days in Sicily", page 359), entered by Scuderia Nettuno. It later went to Switzerland and then in 1975 it was briefly owned by Jim Glickenhaus in NY and finally ended up in 1979 with Walt Medlin in Kissimmee/FL. 07809 was damaged 13 August 2004 in Medlin's warehouse when the building collapsed during hurricane Charley in FL.

Marcel Massini

ns25, miurasv, of2worlds and 2 others like this.
  22. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    I am not familiar with Ferrari paint colors and I do not have an eye for colors. I've found some color swatches and used Photoshop to put them next to the car. I've also overlaid a rear section of the car over Marcel Massini's picture of a car in Amaranto. Cordoba may be metallic, but the color chart doesn't look metallic to me. It could have been metallic but I never knew it.

What does everyone think.
    Thanks
    Andy Gagarin Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Yes.

Marcel Massini

miurasv likes this.
  24. Marcel Massini

Honorary

Mar 2, 2005
    Rosso Cordoba IS metallic (not flat), see post #35.
    Looking at your photos in post #1 I consider this Amaranto and not metallic, but then your car must have been repainted as originally none of the six carb alloy longnose 275 GTB's were painted Amaranto.

Marcel Massini

25. asgtech

asgtech Rookie

Dec 5, 2019
    Islamorada, FL
    Full Name:
    ANDREW GAGARIN
    This is an exciting match. The export date could have been Jan 15. and the fact that it ended up close to Danbury, CT is certainly an interesting coincidence. The wheels are also correct.

Andrew Gagarin

375+ likes this.