Ferrari F8 Tributo | Page 124 | FerrariChat

Ferrari F8 Tributo

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by Ferrari 308 GTB, Feb 28, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Dicecal

Dicecal Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 15, 2015
    Phoenix, AZ
    Full Name:
    Rob
    The only folks troubled by the sound of the car are mostly the ones who just like to complain about it on here and have no intent or interest in buying one!

Image Unavailable, Please Login

Coincid and SoCal to az like this.
  2. SoCal to az

SoCal to az F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 25, 2012
    Arizona
    So true!

3. ferrarifanatic25

ferrarifanatic25 Formula Junior

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Well isn’t that obvious? If sound wasn’t a concern, most of us complainers would be lining up to buy one!

Seriously, I think the F8 is absolutely beautiful and the best overall package available on the market. I love it. Apart from the Pista and some other cars in higher price brackets/limited editions, it may be the most desirable car for sale in the year 2020 (in my opinion). It’s just a shame that such an amazing overall package is subject to such a major flaw and there isn’t much that anyone can do about it.

Im getting to worked up about this... I haven’t even heard one in real life yet, so final judgement is still out. I need to spend less time on this forum getting pissed off by all these new regulations!

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

4. Hunter911

Hunter911 Karting

Mar 8, 2012
    Toronto, Canada
    Someone has already developed a GPF-bypass exhaust for Porsches (with no CEL’s). I have a hard time believing aftermarket tuners will not crack the F8’s setup. Maybe a GPF bypass system (which would mean good HP gains on the F8), or just hi-flow cats and leave the GPF in place? Or new sensors to trick the ECU. There is always a solution.

5. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    I'm advised Porsche doesn't use post cat pressure/pulse sensor because back-pressure was not a critical element that was designed into the system to reduce lag or control the way the engine delivers its power like the Ferrari engine does. Also, a sensor which relays critical information to the ECU such as pulse and pressure simply can't just be done away with or replaced with a dummy sensor. How do you replicate the correct pulse and pressure in a system like this? You will basically need a dummy engine of same type to piggy back. I'm afraid this one really is insurmountable. I recall reading on another thread how Tubi looked closely at it and has walked.

And to suggest this F8 problem will affect the AM exhaust industry is not correct as the aftermarket has many other brands and models left to work with. Life won't stop at the F8 model and with many years left in earlier and newer models (which don't use post cat pressure sensors - or rely upon them to control boost and power delivery) the manufacturers will have plenty to work with.

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  6. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Probably the only beautiful new mid-engine Ferrari in the market though !

7. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because of the EU regulations. You just don't seem to get it...

8. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    #3083 REALZEUS, Dec 7, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    You seem so concerned about the looks. Can you drive?

MANDALAY and Astrid.Didier like this.
  9. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Not yet ;), I'm going to the driving school next weak to start to learn how to drive ;) ;) ;) ;) ;) ;)

10. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Weak indeed...

AD211 and ferrarifanatic25 like this.
  11. RoyalPink

RoyalPink Formula 3
    Rossa Subscribed Silver Subscribed

Mar 18, 2019
    Southern Utah
    Full Name:
    John D.
    I may have missed it somewhere in all of these threads I've been reading. I'm leaving in a few hours to go and drive an F8. My understanding is the Pista sounds pretty good and the F8 does not. Since the F8 shares and has basically the same engine as the Pista. What is the major reason/contributor to the lack of sound in the F8?

12. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    The F8 engine is muted by the GPF (Gas Particulate Filter), which is noticeable from the outside; inside, the "tubes" directing the noise in the cabin are intended to compensate (and maybe even more than) for that.

of2worlds likes this.
  13. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    "It sits super high" ????:eek::rolleyes:

14. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC

I’m not referring to the existence of these systems. I understand the regulations and obviously Ferrari must comply with them. But why go out of their way to make them difficult to defeat with post-cat pressure sensors and other nanny’s that have been developed? So for, no one has provided a sufficient answer to this question. There is nothing in the regulations that require manufacturers to incorporate failsafes against customers modifying theirs exhausts aftermarket. The regulations only require that the cars meet them when they are sold. What a customer does afterwards (legal or not) is irrelevant to the regulations as far as manufacturers are concerned. Refer to shadowfax’s post earlier explaining how Ferrari has gone to such lengths to prevent customers from messing with the F8’s exhaust. It sounds like we won’t even be able to unplug the valves anymore like we could on all previous models.

Audi, Porsche, MB and other manufacturers have not spent any extra money developing failsafes so that people cannot change their exhausts. There are already GPF delete options available on the aftermarket for all of these cars.

Instead of wasting money making them difficult to defeat, knowing that customers will want a fix for something that is completely out of Ferrari’s control, why not incorporate easy ways to get around them? They could even train official Ferrari techs in unaffected markets “behind the scenes” the best ways to help their customers get more sound out of the cars. This would not be illegal, would comply with regulations and would make more customers happy.

Again, no need to debate this too much right now. Let’s wait and see... maybe we’re all wrong and the aftermarket will be able to provide solutions from day one.

15. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    Because otherwise the car wouldn't work correctly. The GPF is integrated to the powertrain. AFAIK all manufacturers' new systems are difficult to defeat.

16. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I do not think Ferrari does actually care about people defeating regulations at their own risk aftermarket - but maybe Ferrari has worked hard to adapt to the regulations, so that removing the compliance is actually seriously hampering the way the "system" works.

17. Jcmd

Jcmd Formula Junior

Feb 1, 2017
    EMA
    a small price to pay for less pollution , i say every bit helps.

REALZEUS likes this.
  18. Mickyd329

Mickyd329 Formula Junior

Mar 3, 2019
    Orange County Socal
    Full Name:
    Mike
    I had the pleasure test driving the F8 yesterday at my dealer. I was really concerned about the exhaust note coming from a Performante. After driving it for about 30 minutes, I walked away pretty satisfied with the sound. Once the aftermarket figures out a solution, it should be fine. Hopefully, a tuner comes up with a solution by the time I take delivery in the summer.

19. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    To be clear, I don’t think anyone (myself included) is saying that less pollution is a bad thing... in fact, it’s a great thing.

The main point of my post has nothing to do with pollution and more to do with EU noise (decibel) regulations. I believe I read somewhere that starting in 2022 (maybe later?) cars sold in the EU must not exceed 77 dB at full throttle/rpm from the outside. I believe a stock 488 does something like 105 dB flat out. Remember that every 7 dB increase marks an 2x increase in actual volume level (107 dB is twice as loud as 100 dB). So we have 105-77=28. 28/7=4. And 2^4=16. If my math is correct (please correct me if I’m wrong... I hope I am wrong!), that means Ferrari’s produced for the EU will be SIXTEEN times quieter than a stock 488 once the new laws go into effect.

It would be an absolute travesty if Ferrari forces other markets to comply with these laws, which limit individual freedom to express oneself, and then voids warranties and takes additional measures to ensure that customers elsewhere cannot alter their exhausts in the aftermarket. This is the point I am trying to make, not that less pollution is a bad thing.

20. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    I thought the figure for doubling is 3 dB, not 7 - but I may be wrong.

Coincid likes this.
  21. Elisesko

Elisesko Karting
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 27, 2016
    Confusing the pollutions you are. Said in my best Yoda voice.

ferrarifanatic25 likes this.
  22. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You are correct.

ryalex likes this.
  23. Need4Spd

Need4Spd F1 Veteran

Feb 24, 2007
    Silicon Valley
    elmadi, OSUferrari, stavura and 6 others like this.
  24. ferrarifanatic25

Apr 9, 2009
    OC
    Thank you for the correction. Was hoping to be wrong in a different way...

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

25. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I think some prior posters must be thinking of audio systems. You need to double the power fed by an amplifier into audio speakers to increase the playback level by 3db. However, the perceived volume does NOT double with a 3db increase.