Testarossa Price Trends | Page 138 | FerrariChat

Testarossa Price Trends

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by Mr.Chairman, Dec 9, 2010.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Jay R

Jay R Karting
    BANNED

Oct 6, 2017
    Full Name:
    James R 12345
    They’re probably reading this thread! Regardless, until they answer and remove the doubt, anyone who sees this thread won’t buy that car.

MOSS and Zeff like this.
  2. flat_plane_eddie

flat_plane_eddie F1 Rookie
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 30, 2013
    NE FL
    Full Name:
    Eddie
    That's some scumbag ****.

Zeff likes this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The market finally came to their senses.

MOSS, Shamile, raysur and 1 other person like this.
  4. Parnelli

Parnelli Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Aug 30, 2013
    Milwaukee, WI
    Full Name:
    Greg P

I noticed the luggage, miles, and invoice issues right away as well. Completely ridiculous :(

Just goes to show how much BS there is out there on vintage cars

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  5. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

That’s very shady and dishonest regarding the service date...
    They won’t sell the car more than 105-110imo...same thing for the red which they paid too much for imo as well...
    In retrospect it would appear that the number in January at the Scottsdale auctions were outliers and didn’t represent the market for this year with just December to go...
    I wonder what happens at that auction? I’ll informed buyers? Sales pitch?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zeff likes this.
  6. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall

At this point in the life cycle of the cars every single sale needs to be examined for the merits that may or may not exist. Auction prices really only represent auction prices and are almost never representative of non auction transactions. Lots of emotions, shill bidders and general skullduggery going on. The condition, real condition of cars on the market are all over the place and the odometer is no way to judge that. The cars are too plentiful and too low valued for for a POS to even be in the mix because they are too cheap for a good one to make a POS worth resurrecting. All middle aged Ferrari 12 cylinder cars go through this. Any 250 pile of parts with intact VINs and a clear title has significant value but not late 70's to early 90's cars. Buy the best you can find at a price you can explain to the wife, keep it nice and you'll do OK at the other end. If that isn't good enough buy a Buick.

vjd3, xplodee, blkdiablo33 and 4 others like this.
  7. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Actually 5 bolts have always been more desirable and brought more money mainly because the later the car the better ideology. Changing wheels
    is of course much less of a hassle.

blkdiablo33 likes this.
  8. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    My observations with cars as they progress through their value maturity is that for the final maturity stage, earlier cars are most coveted. If your point is correct at this time, then I just think the TR’s need more time to appreciate.

turbo-joe likes this.
  9. Natkingcolebasket69

Well u also have a single nut car so u may be biased too;)
    Only the single mirrors have somehow commanded a premium.

xplodee likes this.
  10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Many different takes on that. It is undisputed late 328s are more in demand and more valuable. I don't know how many times I have heard in the Ferrari business to a prospective used car buyer "buy the latest, it's the best". The people who prefer early TRs are typically those with less knowledge and understanding of them. I was factory trained on them, have worked on them daily ever since and have a 90. Would not ever be in the market for an early one. Far to many small but important improvements not the least of which is the wheels. I take road trips. Had a flat 400 miles from home, changed the tire in 15 minutes and was home that night for dinner. Not doing that in a knock off car.

G. Pepper, BOKE, sherrillt and 4 others like this.
  11. Natkingcolebasket69

Well said! Love ur knowledge as usual.

MOSS likes this.
  12. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    The good thing for any prospective TR buyers looking for later models is there are about 4x as many versus the 86/87 years.

peteficarra likes this.
  13. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Subaru 360's are very rare. Isn't making them more valuable.

BOKE likes this.
  14. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Certainly no knocking the single lug.

15. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    It always seemed the single lug cars were for sale and it was difficult to find the 5 lug. I was really into these cars for years going back 20+ years.

16. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    #3441 Rifledriver, Dec 3, 2019
    Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    I will. It was a bad design. A traditional knock off using a nut instead of a bolt was simply not an issue but the Feds made Ferrari change the design and that is where the problem started. The 5 lug design was done as an improvement and EVERYONE saw it as such at the time. It is only in more recent years, those with no experience when the cars were new have created some romantic view of the early abandoned design.

BOKE and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

The single mirror also, IMO, was a bad design, the mirror is too high and visibility isn’t that good to
    Me, but maybe u will disagree;)

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Not at all. I find the single mirror annoying. I understand the preference cosmetically on the single but still prefer having 2. I actually like asymmetry in design but not in this case.

Shamile, MOSS, BOKE and 1 other person like this.
  19. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    “If you’re going to form a relationship with a car, if you’re going to develop a bond, it’s got to have human qualities, and if it’s gonna have human qualities its got to have faults.”

-Jeremy Clarkson

BOKE, JPMD and xplodee like this.
  20. MOSS

MOSS Formula 3

Apr 28, 2004
    Ok, totally agree. Again, 5 lugs cars over the past 20 years have always been more expensive. 5 lugs are the happening thing! Single lug is primitive. Corvette dropped the single lug in 66 when drivers were getting killed because the wheel was not torqued enough. Anytime you need a small sledge hammer to get your wheel off we got a problem....

BOKE, Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  21. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Not sure if this is a generational thing or not, I'm 37. Too me the TR is old school as hell, there's nothing modern about it so I don't care if it has "new 5-lug tech." I think as the cars get older and more people look at them nostalgically, we will see these more primitive options as desirable versus undesirable. I respect the opinions shared here for sure. But I think many of those giving them still remember when the car was brand new and saw the improvements happening. I was just a kid and was isolated from all this, so to me older/weirder is better. Plus the single lug cars just look better, period. Perhaps you're right though, earlier cars go for less because people don't want to deal with the single lugs.

By the way, a tire change can be done on the side of the road, you just need one of the torque multipliers for your 3/4" breaker bar and a 4' torque wrench. I have all of that and it fits in the front hood lol.

turbo-joe likes this.
  22. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Since 1985 how many times do you think I have removed the wheels from an early TR or a GTO? How many times have you done it? Are you really challenging my knowledge on the matter?

Two words....You're wrong.

sherrillt, BOKE and Zeff like this.
  23. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    whoa, no I am not challenging your knowledge on the matter in fact I respect and appreciate your contributions to this forum above many others.

I’m giving my OPINION on the value of these cars over time, specifically with regard to five lug versus single lug. None of us have a crystal ball and I didn't quote you in my post.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  24. Natkingcolebasket69

He actually is not; I think what he is saying is that looks wise 87 to him look better and eventually should , in his opinion, command a premium inspite them not being easy to remove for lack of better words;)

Shamile and xplodee like this.
  25. xplodee

xplodee Formula 3

Jan 3, 2017
    Allentown, PA
    Full Name:
    Tim
    exactly. That is all.

Shamile and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.