"Old" car with low mileage - buy or pass? | FerrariChat

"Old" car with low mileage - buy or pass?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by FerrariFire, Nov 27, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    Hi gents,

My question applies generally for any sports car and is not Ferrari specific.

What is your opinion on finding an "old" car (and by that I mean 2013) with a very low mileage (around 500)?

It's sold through an official dealership so it's legit and all maintenance papers check out but I am wondering on the car's overall health (lose it if you don't use it type of thing). The car was bought for "investment" and the owner thought it would be wise to keep the mileage as low as possible so that he can maximize his return.

I'd appreciate your feedback.

2. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    What kind of premium does the "investor" expect from keeping the car on a pedestal instead of driving it like it should have been?

What premium do you personally place in a low mileage car? Are you an investor or a driver?

Jakuzzi and FerrariFire like this.
  3. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    6 years is not a lot of time with modern cars. You didn't mention brand but it was never driven enough for any warranty-able things to have come up and there is probably no warranty at this point. If it a car you like and like me you don't mind a patina as long as its yours and the price is good I see no reason not to.

Unless it is really special it should have depreciated but somewhat less than cars that have actually been driven.

We bought a 9 year old Testarossa with 1000 miles. It was bought as an investment too. We paid about 25% of what the original purchaser paid and about 70% of sticker. Not a great investment for him.

4. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    You nailed it. To answer your Qs:

• His premium is $100K -- just because of the low mileage.
    • I place little to no value.
    • I am a driver.

5. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Unless it is very special they are crazy.

Jakuzzi and FerrariFire like this.
  6. FerrariFire

FerrariFire Rookie

Mar 16, 2015
    My fault, the car is a Mercedes. Thanks for your comment.

7. Tenney

Tenney F1 Rookie
    Consultant

Feb 21, 2001
    As a driver, how long do you think it would take to drive away the premium?

FerrariFire likes this.
  8. donv

donv Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 5, 2002
    Portland, Oregon
    Full Name:
    Don
    I can't imagine why you would want it, in this case. Look elsewhere and let a "collector" buy it.

Personally, I wouldn't be scared of the low mileage, but I wouldn't be scared of high mileage either.

FerrariFire and EastMemphis like this.
  9. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    The only car made in 2013 I can think anyone might believe would be an investment would be a SLS. It would have no additional value in my mind, I have found cars that were not driven to be more problematic than those than have been.