Washing Microfibers Towels | FerrariChat

Washing Microfibers Towels

Discussion in 'Detailing & Showroom' started by ToddMick, Nov 17, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    What is your washing routine on your dirty microfiber towels?

I wash my car about every 3-4 weeks or so with my spotless wash system. Usually, I end up using 1 towel to dry (just the black roof). Might use a cheap microfiber towel ever month or two covered in chemicals for cleaning the leather or something.

Seems like I shouldn't wash the 2 together, or with other clothes, or 1 at a time in the machine. Maybe a hand wash? Thoughts?

2. C50

C50 Formula 3

Aug 19, 2016
    I just wash everything together.
    I’m particular while washing the car (2 bucket, etc), but at the end I just launder per routine.

ToddMick likes this.
  3. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Ok, thanks for sharing. Hot or cold water? I’ve seen a case for both.

4. tstuli

tstuli Formula Junior

Jun 12, 2018
    NC
    I use the chemical guys microfibre detergent in the machine with warm water. Seems to do a good job restoring the softness and getting the chemicals out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

docf likes this.
  5. JoeTSI

JoeTSI Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2015
    Huntsville, AL
    Full Name:
    Joe K.
    Just remember to not use fabric softener or dryer sheets.

Ak Jim and EastMemphis like this.
  6. docf

docf Formula 3

Sep 14, 2008
    Florida
    Full Name:
    Gary
    Yes Griots Garage & Chem guys have products to clean Microfiber towels. Griots is simply called micro fiber cleaner. It works with laundry cleaner to remove polish & wax from the towels. 2-3 ounces added to laundry detergent to 5gall hot water. No fabric softener or drying sheets.

7. EastMemphis

EastMemphis Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 25, 2019
    Memphis, TN
    Full Name:
    John
    If you're going to wash your fancy microfiber towels in your regular washing machine, and have pets, do a "tub wash" first. Then, air dry your towels. I don't use anything different to wash my towels, just hot water, regular laundry detergent, and a dose of Oxiclean powder to give an extra kick. Towels always come out perfect.

JoeTSI likes this.
  8. msark

msark Formula Junior

Feb 18, 2017
    Southern California
    I've had good luck with the washer, 2 different washes...

First a "short" wash with the towel load of finishing or cleaning separated. Wash with Oxy Clean powder only (1/2 scoop)
    Then a full wash with a specific microfiber detergent and I add the extra rinse cycle.
    Dry on warm .....

9. ToddMick

ToddMick Karting

Sep 30, 2019
    Las Vegas
    Full Name:
    Todd M
    Thank you all for sharing your routines! Really helpful

10. A348W

A348W Formula 3

Jun 28, 2017
    North Wiltshire, UK
    Fairly liquid, hot water and by hand.

I’ve found using normal washing detergents leaves funny residues which which smears when drying the car. (Like using toilet paper to clean something before painting instead of kitchen roll. Toilet paper has something in it which reacts with paint!)

ToddMick likes this.
  11. V4NG0

V4NG0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 14, 2018
    Full Name:
    Charles Edward Cheese
    Warm water, regular cycle with extra rinse, liquid detergent only; dry on low/medium heat with no fabric softener. I’ve never been able to detect a difference when using a microfiber additive/detergent.

12. PhilNotHill

PhilNotHill Two Time F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Yes. NO FABRIC SOFTENER.

It will ruin the absorbency of the towels until you rewash several times to get it out of there.

13. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    Honestly I've never washed mine. I usually get wax on them and then replace with a new one. They are starting to accumulate so maybe should take an interest in this thread.

14. colombo2cam

colombo2cam Formula Junior

Jan 31, 2019
    Full Name:
    Ted
    delicate cycle to dry - keeps them from getting scratchy

15. c8spidey

c8spidey Formula Junior

Dec 10, 2018
    westchester county ny
    Full Name:
    lou g
    The only difference I read mostly, is wash in hot water and low or very little heat-no fab softener.

16. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

If your using a laundry detergent, make sure it has no perfumes/added scents as this affects the MF's effectiveness. I pre-treat my MF's, in a dedicated MF cleaner prior to washing in a machine. This removes the waxes/sealants etc and makes for a cleaner end result out of the washing machine. I also have separate tubs I sort my MF's into depending on where the MF was used, car body, wheels, engine bay, etc. I don't wash the MF's I use on car surfaces with the wheel or engine bay MF's, those get a separate treatment/wash. This makes the job of specific MF treatment easier for me and eliminates cross contamination and makes for easier sorting.
    I use a similar regime for my polishing pads as above, in either case I dry on very low heat or better yet air dry.

17. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    QUOTE="LBBP, post: 146914156, member: 171998"]If your using a laundry detergent, make sure it has no perfumes/added scents as this affects the MF's effectiveness. I pre-treat my MF's, in a dedicated MF cleaner prior to washing in a machine. This removes the waxes/sealants etc and makes for a cleaner end result out of the washing machine. I also have separate tubs I sort my MF's into depending on where the MF was used, car body, wheels, engine bay, etc. I don't wash the MF's I use on car surfaces with the wheel or engine bay MF's, those get a separate treatment/wash. This makes the job of specific MF treatment easier for me and eliminates cross contamination and makes for easier sorting.
    I use a similar regime for my polishing pads as above, in either case I dry on very low heat or better yet air dry.[/QUOTE]
    What he said:rolleyes: Especially mixing specific drying towels versus general pupose clean up towels (Engine, wheels, rockers, arches)

18. ifeelfree0

ifeelfree0 Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Feb 26, 2014
    Medina, Ohio
    Full Name:
    Dan
    QUOTE="LBBP, post: 146914156, member: 171998"]If your using a laundry detergent, make sure it has no perfumes/added scents as this affects the MF's effectiveness. I pre-treat my MF's, in a dedicated MF cleaner prior to washing in a machine. This removes the waxes/sealants etc and makes for a cleaner end result out of the washing machine. I also have separate tubs I sort my MF's into depending on where the MF was used, car body, wheels, engine bay, etc. I don't wash the MF's I use on car surfaces with the wheel or engine bay MF's, those get a separate treatment/wash. This makes the job of specific MF treatment easier for me and eliminates cross contamination and makes for easier sorting.
    I use a similar regime for my polishing pads as above, in either case I dry on very low heat or better yet air dry.[/QUOTE]
    What he said:rolleyes: Especially mixing specific drying towels versus general pupose clean up towels (Engine, wheels, rockers, arches)

19. johnk...

johnk... F1 World Champ
    Owner

Jun 11, 2004
    CT
    Full Name:
    John Kreskovsky
    They are cheap. Repurpose the old ones and buy new ones for detail work. Pain, interior, wheels, engine and undercarriage, dip stick cleaning.

Mimmo Blue and Solid State like this.
  20. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    Especially if you buy at Costco. Great towels.

Mimmo Blue likes this.
  21. JBlack002

JBlack002 Karting
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 17, 2016
    Mooresville, NC
    Full Name:
    Jim
    jjason981 likes this.
  22. RedNeck

RedNeck F1 Veteran
    BANNED Silver Subscribed

Jul 8, 2016
    The CSA
    Full Name:
    Me
    I give them to my wife, they come back clean. Magic or something. I don't know why y'all are overthinking it.

cole328, ifeelfree0 and steved033 like this.
  23. PhilNotHill

Owner

Jul 3, 2006
    Aspen CO 81611
    Full Name:
    FelipeNotMassa
    I find that micro fiber towels are the best thing for cleaning eyeglasses. But l use the less fluffy side as ir leaves less little fiber thingys on my glasses.

I found this out by accident. My dark glasses were very dirty while driving. The only thing l had in the car was a micro fiber towel. Now l won’t use anything else.

syata and Solid State like this.
  24. LBBP

LBBP Formula Junior

You might try the Clearlens Chamois for eyeglasses, my wife swears by them and they leave no residue. They also work well for cleaning cell phone glass, easily fit in one's pocket and are washable once dirty.

25. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    Never wash them.Not only not worth the amount of effort and cost associated such as detergent, electricity etc . but on a microscopic level, will never be absolutely free of residue or dirt. Throw them away and use a brand new one.