Meet the $151K Gen 1 NSX | FerrariChat

Meet the $151K Gen 1 NSX

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by LightGuy, Apr 2, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 05011994

05011994 Formula 3
    Owner Silver Subscribed

May 1, 2004
    Golden, Colorado
    Been following that auction, unbelievable low mile example. It is great to see the NSX getting the appreciation it deserves. This must be the lowest mile NSX out of Honda hands in the world.

2. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I had a buddy with a really nice NSX with titanium exhaust and a few other tweaks. We switched cars one day with my 355 Spider, and hit some windy roads. It was a cool sensation sitting so far forward in a car, kind of like in a fighter plane, but the driving experience did nothing for me. Even with the better exhaust, it sounded just ok, and was not fast enough for me. Like the looks, not the performance.

It was a service free vehicle for him, and he sold it after a couple of years, and moved into a 911.

3. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

Not quite, there are still a few out there with essentially delivery-mileage. We will see what comes out of the woodwork after this sale.

4. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

That's funny, to me it has one of the best sounding V6s in existence, particularly the induction note. 8,000 RPM in the NSX is something else.

Boomhauer and LightGuy like this.
  5. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    1st gen NSXs worth more than current NSXs....oopsy daisy, Acura.

carguyjohn350 likes this.
  6. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    #7 LightGuy, Apr 4, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2019

Remember the competing Ferrari of the day was the 348 that had only 30 more hp and a tad more torque but carrying 300 lb more weight. The NSX waxed it in almost every way.

But the 355 was similar weight and about 100 HP more.
    It would be like comparing a 360 to a 355. The 355 comes out as a dog.

The Japanese big shots at the time all agreed to a 300 HP max limit as anything more would just be irresponsible. How arrogant. If they could see us now ! ;)
    Everyone said the NSX needed 100 HP more even Senna.
    Comptech solved the problem with a supercharger which was a dealer installed option.
    IMO if it had that 100 HP extra from the start we'd be talking about it like some talk about the F40.
    Just like Chris Harris compares the new NSX as a "poor mans" 918.

Also many alignment shops "fixed" the NSX's front end by putting toe in just like every other car on the road.
    WRONG !
    It is one of the very very few cars designed with toe out specs which makes it a dart in handling.

Yes there is nothing like the sound of a NA Ferrari V8's. Except a V12 Ferrari ?
    Even the turbo Ferraris of today cant compare. However a Gen 1 with an exhaust is no slouch in the sound department.

The gen 1 NSX is not about power. Honestly a main reason I like it is because it was such a milestone car.

I've had several 911's.
    All gone except the GT2.
    Another "keeper" like my Gen 1 NSX.

But perhaps at 151K I may be tempted :D

boxerman, cnpapa24 and DIGMAN52 like this.
  7. Miltonian

Miltonian F1 Veteran

Dec 11, 2002
    Milton, Wash.
    Full Name:
    Jeff B.
    I remember driving a dealer's demo NSX on a test day (1990?). I probably had it for about four hours, giving rides to the office staff, lot attendants, etc. That car probably had about 7500 miles on it, and it had the worst brake vibration/pulsation of any car I've ever driven.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I loved the looks of the NSX back in the day, but it just hasn't aged that well imo...I don't know why. I like the cleaner lines of the 355.

Anyway, I was at a tuner shop this weekend and found an old magazine on their table with this NSX. They did a custom longitudinal engine mount for the V6...pretty cool. Does anyone know of other first gens with this mod?

http://www.speedhunters.com/2013/12/ultimate-nsxesprits-time-attack-monster/

It's only 2,400 lbs...I want one. :)

9. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    Saw one on a flatbed the other day. Loked like it was just pulled out of a barn. Followed the truck for a bit, but he went east and I was headed west. Would have loved to ask the driver about it..

10. xotik

xotik Formula Junior

Feb 23, 2009
    Gulf Coast
    Full Name:
    Chad
    I passed on a black first gen NSX 10 years ago for $20K. Boy, do I regret that decision.

Boomhauer and Ak Jim like this.
  11. Challenge

Challenge Formula 3

Sep 27, 2002
    PA
    Full Name:
    Kevin
    Funny, Brooklands Green was always a joke to the guys with normal colors.

12. malex

malex Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 5, 2007
    FL
    Are you sure? There shouldn't be that large of a difference in weight between a 348tb and 355 Berlinetta - and it's likely almost all due to the 355's lighter wheels. I also didn't think that the 1st gen NSX was significantly lighter than either the 348 or 355. Maybe a bit, but 300 lbs lighter than a 348? I think if you check out curb weights, the differences are lot tighter than you're indicating.

13. David_S

David_S F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    Mountains of WNC...
    Full Name:
    David S.
    Call me crazy, but I'd sure love an NSX in Brooklands Green, but with the tan interior. Would have gotten one back in the day, but it was just out of my price range, and got a '93 964 C4 instead. Still wish I could have had the NSX & pretty sure I'd still have it.

LI2782 likes this.
  14. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Me too, I have always wanted a nice '94 in Brooklands Green, such a unique & classy color.

15. Auraraptor

Auraraptor F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Sep 25, 2002
    MO
    I miss my NA2 generation 1....I keep trying to find a white 3.2L pre-facelift without much success

boxerman likes this.
  16. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Best way is to import one from Japan. They are in better condition and lower price than US models. Plus, being a JDM car, it was made the way it was intended and not messed with US DOT/EPA and whatever other requirements that were altered.

https://www.carsensor.net/usedcar/bHO/s042/index.html?YMIN=1989&YMAX=2004&SORT=2

NbyNW likes this.
  17. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    A few pop up for sale in Canada imported from the Japanese market. Canada has a 15 year or older rule on importing non conforming vehicles. The problem I have with all JDM imports is they are right hand drive. Id rather pay more for one out of Europe in left hand drive.

boxerman likes this.
  18. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

Sorry, but this is very inaccurate. It's true that NSX can be had for a lower price in Japan, but like other relatively inexpensive sports cars in Japan, most of them are either totally beat up, covered in oxidation, modified like crazy, have major paintwork/accident history, have automatic transmissions (much more popular there than here), or some combination of all those. NSXs tended to be treated with more care in the USA on average as they became used cars. On top of that, there were essentially no "DOT/EPA" differences to the USA NSX other than different side markers. I would much rather have a USDM NSX than a RHD JDM NSX, unless it's a special RHD-only variant such as the Type R.

19. max930

max930 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 16, 2017
    vancouver
    Its true the Japanese love automatics. In European cars, mostly Porsches, you can find plenty in left hand drive in Japan. But they are almost always automatics. Since Canada has a 15 year or older rule, we see lots of JDM cars here. I don't see many with oxidation or obvious collision damage. But with the Porsches they are almost all automatics.

20. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

They love manuals too, but in the '80s & '90s there was a definite push in Japan towards the "future of technology" in the wake of the economic boom there. I think automatics just seemed like the future at the time, so they were buying a lot of them.

It's not necessarily that they will have more of a % chance of collision damage, but car culture in Japan has much less of an issue with repainting panels for simple things like scratches, where in the USA we would make more of an attempt to keep the paint original at all costs. And, NSXs there had a higher chance of being tuned and used on the track etc. (likely a symptom of how inexpensive they got in Japan), so a higher chance of having "incidents" than many of the lightly driven examples in the USA.

Oxidation / rust is definitely a big problem in Japan, any steel constructed car that is located in a seaside town there will have serious issues with this. It's not a given, but you see a lot of cars looking like this in Japan:

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I spend quite a bit of time in Japan. Usually don't see very much rust because there are so few old cars. I'm not sure of the exact rules but once a car gets past a certain age there are expensive inspections required.

22. Sterling Sackey

Sponsor

This is true, but we are talking about the older cars that do exist there...

23. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Very true.