Power Steering Reservoir | FerrariChat

Power Steering Reservoir

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by Tojo, Oct 20, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Hello experts, I'm wondering what is the correct finish is for the power steering reservoir lid. Mine is painted black, but I see in a lot of photos, they are also plated silver or yellow. Was there a change in caps with the different series of these cars? Mine is a 400 GT. Looking to get it right as i tidy it up. Thanks

2. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    Mine (a 1982 Series 1) is definitely a yellow/gold-ish finish. Looks to be the same color as the fuel lines from the distributor.

3. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    samsaprunoff, Schumi and Tojo like this.
  4. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Thanks for the responses. I looked at a mates '81 400i last week and it was a plated reservoir, then I looked at a '77 400GT at an Auction and it was painted black. Perhaps it's a change that happened post carburetors?? I went with the black like the other GT, but can be swayed to strip and re-plate it if I'm definitely wrong

5. wda24729

wda24729 Formula 3

Sep 22, 2014
    Devon, UK
    Full Name:
    Graham
  6. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Yellow zinc. Cad had long since stopped being used in most automotive applications.

7. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    The original plating technique is still used for aircraft and that is one of the reason why we can still have fasteners plated this way, but since 2016 the restrictions have gone even worse (at least in my country).

There is a yellowish substitute, not real cadmium plating but good enough.

8. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Cad in the automotive world went the way of the dinosaurs in the 50's and 60's because of the expense. Rare except in aviation and marine.

Zinc is just as good except in the presence of salt and when done properly even people in the plating business cannot tell the difference.

9. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    That is actually a BMW part. BMW puts a filter in it in their cars.

10. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    So does Ferrari. I used to replace them regularly.

11. markcF355

markcF355 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jun 6, 2004
    Schmeckelstan
    Full Name:
    Mark
    Brian, I think BMW installs the filter and Ferrari doesn't. Is this correct?

12. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    No, the Ferraris are also supposed to have a filter. I changed many. Those ZF systems all had a filter as far as I know.

13. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    I was reading your thread as I was working on an annual PMI of my 365GT4 2+2. I am not challenging if there is a filter or not as, I have not opened my power steering reservoir to check. If there is a filter does anyone have a part number and where to order or purchase. I was ordering PMI filters and parts and pulled a diagram of the power steering system. There is no part listing listed in the diagram. I attached the diagram from Ricambi Americas.

Attached Files:

14. Choptop400

Choptop400 Karting

Oct 10, 2014
    Huntington, NY
    Full Name:
    Frank L Caponi
    Thank you, either or, systems like quite a difference in appearance.

15. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    The reservior is supposed to have a perforated plate holding the filter down with a spring and retaining clip on the stud that holds the cap on. The lower filter also takes the place of the plate.

Cannot tell from the pictures but they are the same size.

Like a few other items with Ferrari they never pictured it, they never referred to it and they never offered it. During the period I was working on a lot of 400's the dealer I was at was unaware of the filter until I started there.

Schumi likes this.
  16. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    I will have to check mine. I was planning on changing the PS fluid this winter. Anyone have any recommendations on fluid? I typically use Mobil synthetic ATF in all of my other vehicles and it has worked well. I'm always open to suggestions.

Schumi likes this.
  17. Attila400

Attila400 Rookie

Feb 7, 2018
    Budapest
    Full Name:
    Attila
    Hi, this is a good thred. Mine reservior is also yellow. Original for sure. I restore it, now the only solution is yellow zinc plating due to EU regulation. Experts told that previously it was cadmium plated. Now the zinc is less bright but still nice. And thank you for the filter thing. I thought my car was unique, there was a filter inside i only realized when the zinc plater dissasembled it. If you dismatle it it is under a round piece of metal on the bottom of the reservoir is the filter. It was so ugly that i beleve it was inside for 39 years..

Sent from my iPhone using FerrariChat.com mobile app

18. Rifledriver

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Like a few other items with Ferrari they never pictured it, they never referred to it and they never offered it. During the period I was working on a lot of 400's the dealer I was at was unaware of the filter until I started there.
    Properly done zinc and cad are indistinguishable. People in the plating business can't even tell them apart visually. Cad has not been used in the car business for a very long time.

19. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    As always with this site and its contributors, I learn something new and interesting. I too would be curious to know what power steering fluid brand/make is the best for our cars. Any suggestions are appreciated.

20. Schumi

Schumi Formula Junior
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Jun 5, 2002
    Missouri
    Full Name:
    Daren
    One other question - is there a trick to changing the fluid or is it just a suck out the old from the reservoir and pour in new to fill?

21. Ak Jim

Ak Jim F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Dec 23, 2007
    North Pole AK
    Just changing the fluid in the reservoir is a very small percentage of total fluid. While some of the details for the Ferrari will be a little different than the video the process will be the same.

22. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    Another question regarding the reservoir’s. Is there anyone who still has the small ZF decal on their reservoir that can take a clear picture of it? As can see, the sample I have is in poor shape. I can find the large red one for sale, but haven’t seen the other one available. If someone can supply me a picture, I will ask the decal company I have Image Unavailable, Please Login used in England before, if they can do this one too. Thanks heaps Image Unavailable, Please Login

23. red27

red27 Formula Junior

Sep 7, 2010
    London UK
    Full Name:
    Mark Oliver
    Hi Tojo. 60’s Maseratis used virtually the same reservoir, except it was black and with a different configuration of pipe work. Filters are available from MIE in the US as well as from the previously noted suppliers.
    I had these made up for my Ghibli by isaydingdong in the UK. I notice that the part number is actually different on the sticker, but If you want one of my extras, just send me a pm. Alternatively I’m sure they could just alter the number for you. They are very quick.
    Very best to all.

Mark. Image Unavailable, Please Login

GT Jones and Tojo like this.
  24. Tojo

Tojo Formula Junior

Apr 12, 2002
    Sydney
    Full Name:
    Tim
    That's great Mark, thanks for that. I used Isaydingdong for some other decals a couple of weeks ago and didn't notice these on their site. They are very fast indeed. Great service. I was going to hit them up to make them, but if they can change the number I'll go that way. If not I'll pm about your spare one. Cheers, Tim

Sent from my SM-G935F using FerrariChat.com mobile app