how much HP is enough: Poll | FerrariChat

how much HP is enough: Poll

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by italiafan, Nov 14, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

?

ballpark, how much HP necessary for fun?

1. 200

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  2. 300

9 vote(s)
    10.7%
  3. 400

21 vote(s)
    25.0%
  4. 500

23 vote(s)
    27.4%
  5. 600

7 vote(s)
    8.3%
  6. 700

6 vote(s)
    7.1%
  7. 800+ (no limit)

11 vote(s)
    13.1%
  1. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    as a follow-on on for Ross thread....

Interested in knowing how much HP do you consider sufficient to enjoy a modern sports car of moderate weight. We all know that weight, and other suspension characteristics will critically impact on the answer, so for simplification try to just guesstimate an "average" in your mind then dial up or down HP.

Pick a car, like a Ferrari F430 for instance....is 300 HP too little, and 800 would be unnecessary?

2. crinoid

crinoid F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 2, 2005
    Full Name:
    LaCrinoid
    The question is really “what’s the best power to weight ratio?”

3. Booker

Booker Formula 3
    Lifetime Rossa Miami 2018

Aug 1, 2016
    Dallas, Tx
    Full Name:
    Jack Booker
    I think most cars that I would want to drive hard would be smaller than hypercars, and we all know hypercars have more than enough power... But let's say you get a subaru BRZ and tune/swap it- I think 400HP is enough

I would love to put the twin-charged volvo engine in a late model volvo C30

italiafan and crinoid like this.
  4. DIGMAN52

DIGMAN52 F1 Rookie
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jan 30, 2004
    Dallas Texas
    Full Name:
    Philip C
    I voted 400, but recently had a 707hp Charger Hellcat for a year.

I may not have needed all 707, but it sure was fun trying to get all that power to the ground. And what a sound !

DGPF and LARRYH like this.
  5. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    I understand that...which is why I specifically stated that "we all know....."
    But just getting a broad idea to follow up on Ross' thread...just a number..medium size modern car...we all talk about HP numbers on a daily basis, we talk about power:weight ratios much less frequently and thus a little more abstract for most of us.

crinoid likes this.
  6. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    It seems that most cars today are around 300 HP. I voted 400 on the premise that a little more would be nice without eating up the wallet.

rdefabri likes this.
  7. 4_Eff_Sake

4_Eff_Sake Formula Junior

Jul 30, 2016
    Australia
    Full Name:
    Scott
    I’m sorry but I just don’t understand the question (gets in TDF and drives away)

BMW.SauberF1Team likes this.
  8. Smiles

Smiles F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Nov 20, 2003
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Full Name:
    Matt F
    My best answer: as much HP as you can handle with absolutely no nanny aids like traction control.

Matt

ChadR and wax like this.
  9. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    2 wheel - 200 hp
    2 door - 400 hp
    4 door - 500 hp
    SUV - 600 hp

ChadR and boxerman like this.
  10. italiafan

italiafan F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jul 19, 2006
    Full Name:
    Stickbones Swagglesmith
    Very small sample size...too bad most on FChat don't frequent this subforum...but ~50% seem to think 400-500 HP is "adequate" so far.

11. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    "Necessary for fun" and "enough" are two different questions for me - for the first, my answer could be a pretty low number, while for the second, it will be far more.
    I can have fun in a light car with less than 150 hp, but for instance I do not think the 458 has enough hp (that's why I prefer the 488). Even the 488 does not have enough to some extent, otherwise I would not switch to the F8.

12. Solid State

Solid State F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Feb 4, 2014
    Full Name:
    Maximus Decimus Meridius
    The electrics have/will have torque and horsepower stated at over 1500 so I think the poll numbers are way too low. For ICE engine maybe at least 1000 is OK depending on price especially hypercar. Really depends on tires and control system at that level. For just having fun with an exotic at the street the car should be able to let loose with use of the right foot at any speed and require talent to control just like with a motorcycle. In the end, it should have enough power to scare you and not be bored with.

13. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    It really depends but I say 500 .. I have several cars with about that much power and they are fun.. of course my 4 door sedan is 600 hp and that is lots of fund also

DGPF and Natkingcolebasket69 like this.
  14. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    My daily driver (S63) came with stock 603HP.
    Upgraded ECU from Renntech to roughly 700 and I was still not satisfied with mid range acceleration (it's a very heavy car after all).
    Recently did the Renntech turbo upgrade, replaced fuel pumps and lines, downpipes, exhaust, blow off valve and ended up with 770HP at the wheels, roughly 850HP crank.
    I think I'm good for now, rarely able to floor it, breaks all 4 wheels traction in 1st and 2nd gear, stupid and pointless in a daily driver, I know, immense fun and satisfaction to drive that comfy animal on a daily basis nevertheless.

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  15. anunakki

anunakki Seven Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Oct 8, 2005
    Las Vegas Nevada
    Full Name:
    Jerry
    My BMW M Roadster is probably the most fun ive ever had in a car. It had 315 hp.

16. Rifledriver

Rifledriver Three Time F1 World Champ

Apr 29, 2004
    Austin TX
    Full Name:
    Brian Crall
    Big HP is needed in an otherwise boring car. If it is light, nimble, handles and brakes well I am very happy with 300-400 or so. My Lightning needs a lot of power because it does nothing else well. I have driven a lot of very powerful and very fast cars, most of the fastest Ferraris ever made etc. and I find them boring. They were built and really only can be appreciated in driving situations we simply dont have. Going really fast so easily just isnt fun to me. Might as well be driving a video game. Of the cars we have at home our 328 is the least powerful but the most fun by far.

italiafan, boxerman, anunakki and 3 others like this.
  17. Natkingcolebasket69

Natkingcolebasket69 F1 World Champ

400bhp on my TR felt better and more fun than 650 in my FF.
    It’s about the weight, the height of the car, the sound, the torque...400bhp is plenty specially in twisties and for older cars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

boxerman likes this.
  18. LARRYH

LARRYH F1 Veteran
    Owner Rossa Subscribed

Jun 3, 2011
    virginia usa
    wow .. Is it a coupe ... I have a E63S sedan with the same engine I suspect .. thing is pretty fast as is ..... ..is the driveability fine .. never thought I needed more power in that but .. nice

Natkingcolebasket69 likes this.
  19. absent

absent F1 Veteran
    Lifetime Rossa

Nov 2, 2003
    illinois
    Full Name:
    mark k.
    Luxo barge, big sedan.
    Driveability is actually improved, non existent lag, runs smoother and torque delivery is more uniform and consistent, driving in regular traffic is actually easier and even more relaxing, feels like you have unlimited power at your disposal all the time, at any speed.

LARRYH likes this.
  20. mikesufka

mikesufka F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 4, 2006
    Crosslake, MN
    Full Name:
    Mike Sufka
    I really haven’t driven that many high HP cars, but I remember the first time I dropped the hammer in my 2001 Viper ( 450 HP ), I pretty much thought that was the ultimate. This was in 2005 or 2006 ?

MDS

anunakki likes this.
  21. F430 F1 Singapore

Mar 4, 2016
    Singapore
    Well, my current main car is a stock McLaren 12C, and that's 616 hp. It's a little too quick for the tightly regulated public roads of Singapore. Even ordinary overtakes can push me briefly into licence-loss territory, so I drive it like an old lady in church in police hot zones.

My other is a BMW M140i, stock 340 hp but chipped to close to 400hp. I think it hits the sweet spot, very good usable torque but not quite enough power to land me in court if I'm being the least bit cautious.

So I'd probably pick 400hp as being ideal for a street car, but I've owned sedans with over 600 hp (like a lightly modded M5) and they're much easier to keep within legal limits because they're not as aggressively set-up (throttle and gearing) and they also weigh more. So it sort of depends on the type of car too.

For a sports coupe, 400 to 500hp is perfect.

For a heavy sedan, 600+ hp is perfect.

22. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    400 for retro tech cars without any aids available
    500 for newer tech cars like the 430
    600 for latest tech cars with all the nanny aids.

after that, i dont think you can put down the power.

when i was a kid, my dad got me an enormous slot car set, i think it was by carrera. and he had chosen to get me the le mans track. i built that track in the basement, which was my exclusive lair, and it took up almost the entire area of the biggest room - mulsanne straight and all.
    anyway, the set had a transformer with a dial on it that allowed you to turn up the power. if you were a beginner, you started out on 1 and you got the feel for the course. once you were an expert like me ;) you could dial it up to about 3 and still make it around the corners, but have the satisfaction of pushing the button to the max down the mulsanne without crashing. and then, every so often, i wanted to see how fast i could go down the mulsanne and dialed it to 5, and boy did it fly ! but then you literally flew off the track at the end of the straight.

long story to make the analogy that todays hypercars are like that - you have 5 on the dial all the time, and the only thing keeping you on the road is the nannies, and if you didnt have them, they would literally be undriveable by 95% of the owners.

so there is power to weight, and then there are nanny aids - both have an impact on how much power is enough.

italiafan likes this.
  23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    Theres also Tq and where that Tq is,
    I would say in a 3000lbs car 400 hp sounds enough.
    Burt then I have a 2400lbs car with 400hp and I think 5000 would work better.
    So many variables.

24. tbakowsky

tbakowsky F1 World Champ
    Consultant Professional Ferrari Technician

Sep 18, 2002
    The Cold North
    Full Name:
    Tom
    It's all about usable power. Torque is what makes a car fun to drive. A good ol Chevy small block with a 4 speed attached is crazy fun in an old wet noodle chassis. You really feel like your moving, but wont go to jail while doing it. I have a 65 mustang gt350 reproduction at the shop right now with a warmed over 289 with side outlet exhaust, and a 5 speed gearbox installed. What a fun car. Sideways at the push of the gas, rattles clangs feels like its gonna fall apart but never does. Beat it and it comes back looking for more..holly 600 cfm double pumper with vacuum secondaries..(tool man grunt insert here).

25. Tarek307

Tarek307 Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Sep 26, 2018
    Long Beach, CA & Alexandria,Egypt.
    Full Name:
    Tarek Salah
    400 IMO is more than enough, plenty quick and powerful but actually usable without having to be going at insane speeds- One of the points that make me feel my Gated Modena is more fun and engaging than my 458