My F8 drive! | FerrariChat

My F8 drive!

Discussion in '458 Italia/488/F8' started by jim g, Nov 13, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I just left Algar and took the most spirited ride in the F8 that I could do in 35 degree weather. I was concerned like many here that the Gpf would dull the experience we all love... it did not. The car inside was louder throughout the entire rev range than the 488. For those who are concerned about the redline the car I drove had only 60 miles on it when delivered and it revved to 8000 rpm in every gear unlike the 488. The extra power is noticeable through the entire rpm range and I detected zero lag. For those wanting 360 CS sound you’ll be disappointed. For those coming from a 488 it’s louder, felt more agile (maybe bc of smaller steering wheel), and the interior is noticeably updated. The ride felt comfortable just like the 488. I loved the way it looks and my boys gave it 2 thumbs up.

Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. 3POINT8

3POINT8 F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Jan 23, 2014
    so did you buy it?

Astrid.Didier likes this.
  3. Way2fast

Way2fast Formula 3

May 24, 2006
    Santa Barbara County
    Full Name:
    Sam
    Beautiful color combo

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

4. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    You actually were capable of discerning driving differences between it and the 488. Big surprise but thank you. Henceforth, Shadowfax will no longer be able to point to the duo who did not possess the perceptivity to differentiate the 2 cars.

xfrgtr, LVP488, Dicecal and 1 other person like this.
  5. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    #5 jim g, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Yes I could I could tell the difference to 488 but I’ve had two 488’s. Yes I bought it I have Algars first F8 coming, if I didn’t like it it wouldn’t be coming.

of2worlds, Gh21631, Avia11 and 7 others like this.
  6. Texas2step

Texas2step Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    Bola olusola
    Thanks for sharing your experience and addressing comparisons to 488. Very nice review. When is your expected delivery and hope we get to see your Spec. Congrats

7. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Congrats glad to know it sounds as good or better than the 488! When do you expect delivery and what is your spec?

8. Carnut

Carnut F1 Rookie
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 3, 2003
    Gladwyne PA
    Full Name:
    Morrie
    I was there yesterday dropping my car off for winter storage. I am supposed to drive that car today, but I am not sure I am going to since it is too cold for me to be able to accurately judge the car. Besides I have no interest in it at the moment.

9. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    Oh that bad bad shadowfax is one very bad horse indeed! Anyway all jokes aside I'm pleased to hear Coincid is feeling a little bit better although was I reading correctly you are not pleased with the sound clip and are holding a candle out on the day?

Anyway, one review for, vs two against, is definitely a step in the right direction even though OP felt owning 2 488's helped out so that kinda balances out the other two reviewers that couldn't tell who only only owned one 488 each. So maybe that's the secret sauce! A few more laps and an extra 488 under the belt?;) Problem solved!

Hendry2019, Astrid.Didier and jim g like this.
  10. LVP488

LVP488 F1 Rookie

Jan 21, 2017
    France
    Although track tests should in theory allow to push more and therefore be a better way to feel the performance, my experience is that with Ferrari a road test is actually more telling - because the typical track tests with Ferrari are really too short (only 2 or 3 laps) while the road tests last longer; I tested the 812 both on the road (around Paris) and on track (at Spa) and got more information from the road test. So it's no surprise to me that the differences are more obvious from a road test.

11. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I posted my spec in the order status thread but here it is again so you don't have to search for it. I really can't see how the other owners couldn't tell the difference the higher redline alone is significant enough to know you're not in a 488 and it's definitely louder at redline. They do however feel similar with F8 improved in every way. They said my car should be here in January or February but with our winters here in Pa. I'm just going to have to store it until Spring. I also couldn't tell any difference in sound when it was idling, GPF or not it is a pretty loud car. It doesn't explode to life like our old NA cars did when you start it up though, it starts just like the 488. Bottom line is if you enjoy the 488 you'll love the upgrades.
    Product Feature Option
    EXTC External colors 065427400 ROSSO CORSA DS 322
    INTC Internal colors 364018500 NERO 8500 (BLACK)
    CRPT Carpets colors 364900152 NERO 152 (BLACK)
    RMSV FORGED WHEELS BRILLIANT SILVER SI SI
    CALR RED BRAKE CALIPERS SI SI
    TYHP HIGH-PERFORMANCE TYRES SI SI
    CEIS CARBON FIBRE SIDE AIR SPLITTER SI SI
    AFS1 AFS SYSTEM SI SI
    ELEV SUSPENSION LIFTER SI SI
    PAC1 REAR PARKING CAMERA SI SI
    PAR2 FRONT PARKING SENSORS SI SI
    LOGO 'SCUDERIA FERRARI' SHIELDS SI SI
    MIR3 ELECTROCHROM. EXTERIOR MIRRORS SI SI
    FCAM ADVANCED FRONT DRIVING CAMERA SI SI
    STC2 COLOURED SPECIAL STITCHING 364300504 FILO SPECIALE ROSSO 0504
    CLDT COLOURED INNER DETAILS 364030421 ROSSO FERRARI 130421
    RSCH SPECIFIC DESIGN RACING SEATS 094078317 SEDILI TAGLIA LARGE
    EMPH HORSE STITCHED ON HEADREST 364100504 ROSSO (RED) 0504
    FLMA COLOURED MATS WITH LOGO SI SI
    ULEZ UPPER PART IN COLORED LEATHER 364018500 NERO 8500 (BLACK)
    SNDH PREMIUM HIFI SYSTEM SI SI
    HOLK GARAGE DOOR OPENERS SI SI
    RPMY YELLOW REV. COUNTER SI SI
    LEDS CARB.FIB.STEERING WHEEL + LEDS SI SI
    SPEC SPECIAL FEATURES SI SI
    RVEN RED RING ON DASHBOARD VENTS SI SI
    COLL BONNET UPPER INSERT BLACK MATT SI SI
    MRKT MARKET FEATURE USA

Attached Files:

Astrid.Didier and of2worlds like this.
  12. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Nice do you care to share your price or can you pm me?

Thanks

13. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    I'm sorry I didn't ask, I'll find out next time they call me. I didn't go crazy bc I'll be trading for Spider when it comes in.

of2worlds likes this.
  14. of2worlds

of2worlds F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 6, 2004
    ON
    Full Name:
    CH
    Business as usual.
    Thank you for sharing your Ferrari adventures over the years, here!!!

Shadowfax likes this.
  15. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    You're welcome, and thanks for all the knowledge that you've brought.

of2worlds and Shadowfax like this.
  16. Ski Bum

Ski Bum Formula 3

Jun 19, 2012
    I test drove a F8 Tributo (coupe) today. I drove my 488 Spider (on which I have about 7400 miles) to the test drive to assist in the comparison. The temps were in the low 40s, so I was acutely aware that I was on cold tires on both cars.

The F8 is a better drive, but it is not night and day. The engine has more pull, there is less turbo lag and the turbo seems to spool up even more quickly than the 488. In the cabin, the engine sound in the F8 coupe is better than the 488 with the windows up; the F8's sound is deeper, clearer and somewhat louder. The 488 Spider sounds better with the top up and rear window down, or with the top down.

The transmission on the F8 seems to shift slightly faster than 488, and engages with a slight thump. The LEDs on the steering wheel are all red, but are dashes rather than dots. The brakes felt about the same.

The smaller diameter steering wheel gives the F8 a more nimble feel. I couldn't tell whether it truly handles better because I didn't want to really push the car on cold tires.

The F8 is truly beautiful. I prefer the looks of the 488 over the 458, but the F8 is better looking than both.

I have ordered an F8 Spider.

17. tfazio

tfazio Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 20, 2004
    Michigan
    Thank you for posting. I had similar thoughts as you. I was pleasantly surprised how the smaller diameter steering wheel really changed the driving experience for the better. I am glad you and others are mentioning it as well. I also prefer the sound of the F8 to that of the 488 GTB.

of2worlds, xfrgtr and Coincid like this.
  18. buddyg

buddyg F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Sep 20, 2004
    West Michigan
    Full Name:
    Buddy
    Thanks for the write up and congrats on your ordre. Do you have the specs you can share? Delivery date?

19. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    To discern differences between the 488 and F8 , one must own 2- 488 since the ownership of a single 488 is simply not sufficient. Makes sense.

20. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019

Beautiful specs and beautiful taste, congrats

Shadowfax and jim g like this.
  21. jim g

jim g Formula Junior

Jan 8, 2003
    Waverly, Pa.
    Full Name:
    Jim Gress
    Thank you

22. Shadowfax

Shadowfax F1 Rookie
    BANNED

Jun 10, 2016
    Australia
    #22 Shadowfax, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2019
    Evidently so....and agree totally (makes sense)!

However, it all supports the thinking that any real differences between these two are most certainly not profound at all and, in most cases barely discernible to where the ownership of two 488's is more or less required to establish. This again supports the fact that 488 was a highly accomplished car even as it stood, amidst all the ridicule and criticism directed by certain unnamed members here - a car now found to have seemingly very little room for improvement left on the table based upon what is now being reported by those who have driven F8 and 488.

Coincid, you have made it clear for some time now that what you were personally looking for in terms of improvements and expecting to find in F8 - making the purchasing exercise viable - whereas previously 488 was not - were profound changes in the area of driver engagement and connection, along with notable improvements to the spine tingling sensations which you said existed in your current ride - which you felt did not exist in 488 - all as being minimum requirements - sound being one of those key elements!

So keeping all of this in mind, surely even you can see the simple irony in the claiming of F8's physical improvements over 488 - subjective elements anyway - as being sufficient enough to warrant the cancelling out of all previous expectations and conditions, all which previously needed to be fulfilled?

of2worlds and Astrid.Didier like this.
  23. Astrid.Didier

Astrid.Didier Formula Junior

Nov 8, 2019
    Mr Shadowfax, I think you know a lot about both cars, would you advise someone like me to buy a used 488 in a good condition or just pushing myself too hard and pay more (which is a problem for me now) and get myself a new F8.

24. Coincid

Coincid F1 Rookie

Dec 9, 2014
    Canada
    My makes sense comment was made with pure sarcasm.

REALZEUS likes this.
  25. REALZEUS

REALZEUS F1 Veteran

Feb 16, 2011
    Bournemouth, UK
    He is a man on a mission, no matter what...

Coincid likes this.