Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber | Page 2 | FerrariChat

Jacques Villeneuve signs with Sauber

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by imperial83, Sep 15, 2004.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. Mr Payne

Mr Payne F1 Rookie

Jan 8, 2004
    Bakersfield, CA
    Full Name:
    Payne
    Didn't we go over this before? Fisi is fast. :)

2. trevi

trevi F1 Rookie
    Owner

May 19, 2003
    Switzerland
    according to swiss media it's 3 mio USD per year and 100'000 USD per point, the media say he will bring 10 mio USD sponsor's money with him.

3. ross

ross Three Time F1 World Champ
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Mar 25, 2002
    houston/geneva
    Full Name:
    Ross
    i tend to believe imperial. i think jv asked for salary, then got stiff armed, then came back and said he wud drive for points and the deal was done.

sauber theoretically has the best chance of coming in second in the wc....and if jv can get them ahead of bar or merc or bmw, he will already be accomplishing something.

personally i am thrilled for jv and what we might see. it sure beats the hell out of watching yet another paydriver like pantano, or klien, or bruni, or baumgartner, or etcetc.
    however, my dream combo of jv and hakkinen both at bar, would have been even better. and frankly i cannot figure out why dave richards didnt see the light on this one: 2 former wc, no pay except for points, dream advertising and double the spnsorship money....whats to think about?

4. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    What do all these items have in common?
    • The Edsel
    • New Coke
    • Van Halen featuring Gary Cherone on lead vocals
    • The Brady Bunch Variety Hour
    • The AMC Gremlin Levi's Edition
    • The 2003-2004 Los Angeles Lakers
    • Burt Reynolds' marriage to Loni Anderson
    • Showgirls the Movie
    • the XFL
    They were all things that looked like good ideas at the time, but in retrospect were ill-fated decisions.

Look for Jacques Villeneuve's signing to Sauber to join this list. In fact, I bet he doesn't stay the full two years of the contract.

5. F2003-GA

F2003-GA F1 World Champ
    Rossa Subscribed

Nov 2, 2003
    Sunbelt
    Full Name:
    Bro
    I Totally agree

6. b-mak

b-mak F1 Veteran

I respectfully disagree. Heck, he stuck around BAR forever, so I'm sure he capable of the same with Sauber.

Perhaps Peter Sauber will sell JV's contract to the highest bidder for '06.

Goggles, great handle!

7. owsi

owsi Karting

Dec 7, 2003
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Matt
    I disagree, Van Halen with Cherone and New Coke were clearly bad ideas from the start. As for JV we will see how it turns out, but I tend to think he will do okay.

8. Jimi900

Jimi900 Formula Junior

Jul 8, 2004
    Tulsa, OK
    I think JV will do good things at the Sauber team. THe only really they really do anything great was because of their drivers. They have a good car and now they seem to have some money to do some development to their car which they have not had before. They will have a driver now that can help them with this since he know what is needed to make the car a good car. They will not place number one but I bet they will be in the top 6 which is huge step up. If they can get their cars to just finish the races they will compete with Merc, and BAR. which is just a start of a new begining. Oh yeah Showgirls was a great movie!!

9. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    Villeneuve will bring the Saubers lots of attention, which helps them find sponsors. Aside from that his experience will help as well and hopefully after one year in the dog house he'll behave.

Interestingly enough Schumacher already talked about a new start in his relationship with JV since they're both driving now the same engine.

PS: I liked Showgirls as well.

10. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    While we haven't seen him in next year's Sauber yet, he certainly didn't impress anyone at Renault:

I would also like to add the following to my list after Jacques Villeneuve's signing by Sauber:
    • The Ford Five Hundred
    • the NHL labour stoppage
    • Fat Albert the movie
    • Dennis Miller on Monday Night Football
    • The Chrysler Imperial FS (Frank Sinatra Edition)
    • The 2003-2004 New York Yankees
    • Britney Spears' marriage to Kevin Federline
    • non-alcoholic beer
    • Major League Soccer

11. Goggles Pisano

Goggles Pisano Karting

May 22, 2002
    I'll take back what I said about Major League Soccer, and maaaaaybeee the Chrysler Imperial FS, but I stand by the rest.

12. Nuvolari

Nuvolari F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Sep 3, 2002
    Toronto / SoCal
    Full Name:
    Rob C.
    15 years later to comment. That has to be a new F-chat record.

13. tifosi12

tifosi12 Four Time F1 World Champ
    Lifetime Rossa Owner

Oct 3, 2002
    @ the wheel
    Full Name:
    Andreas
    I wouldn't remember my post from 15 years ago let alone where to find it if I remembered it.

14. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    It certainly got my attention. When first noticed it i thought Ferrari was going to power his wheel chair ! :p

15. Fifteen years?! 15 minutes is too much for me..... :confused:

(Now, what was this thread that I clicked on about? Gilles or somebody??? Image Unavailable, Please Login )

(btw pt, a flat six would fit that wheelchair better anyway; 'lower CG to boot.... :p)

(edit; I stand corrected, 'may be too wide. ;))

tifosi12 likes this.
  16. Devilsolsi

Devilsolsi F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Mar 1, 2007
    MD
    Full Name:
    Alex
    Purists would say the flat six should just hang off the back..

lorenzobandini likes this.
  17. #42 lorenzobandini, Nov 13, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2019
    Yeah, I know, but the understeer would be intolerable, let alone the constant wheelies. :p
    If it would fit, mid-engine (underseat) would be optimal. :)

(edit: Before you ask...hydraulic drive to the rear wheels, of course... Image Unavailable, Please Login )

(edit 2: I gave it some more thought. 'Hafta work on squat under braking, or should I say nose lift, with all that mass under the rear axles...)

Isobel likes this.
  18. ag512bbi

ag512bbi F1 Veteran
    Owner Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    So. Cal
    Full Name:
    Armen
    Dead but not forgotten.

19. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians

Oversteer. ;)

BTW, Jacques Villeneuve is ranked #8 in the Isometrics top 100 Grand Prix drivers of all time.

My favourite Frank Sinatra Imperial version.

20. Negative. Image Unavailable, Please Login
    With two separately driven rear wheels (wheelchair remember) one could literally pivot on a pinpoint (center of rear axle) with the front coasters just flailing away, that ain't "loose", that's "tight".....understeer. ;)

Whoop dee-doo. Image Unavailable, Please Login

Somebody exploded an h-bomb today. But it wasn't anyone I knew.....
    (stolen from "Dear Diary", The Moody Blues)

:)

21. Isobel

Isobel F1 World Champ

Jun 30, 2007
    On a Wave's Chicane
    Full Name:
    Is, Izzy for Australians
    Depends if you’re going forward or reverse. Or both. ;).
    Used the below as my quasi-model. ;), plenty of tiller required.

22. :D

Many moons ago I had the "wonderful" opportunity to spend some time in a chair (wheel that is....) and loving racing, of course, I had to give it a go. (No flat six or V-12 under the seat, of course) :)

Never....never ever.....did I try racing in reverse. And, whilst going forward, I never experienced oversteer; those understeering front coasters would not stand for it. :p

All good fun tho' as much as some doctors, nurses, and orderlies (sp ?) didn't appreciate it all that much. I figgered "Floop 'em....maybe they'll throw me outa here and I can go home". :D

23. Which reminds me.....Foul! I say. Foul!!! Those fronts are steered; and on grass no less, not tarmac! :p

And a Granatelli rip-off too!!! :mad:

24. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    How is this thread even remotely still a thing?

BHW

25. Because some of us still just have fun. ;)