Penske buys INDYCar and IMS | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Penske buys INDYCar and IMS

Discussion in 'Other Racing' started by Simon^2, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    Yeah, seems completely separate reading more about it online. Otherwise 300mm for IndayCar + IMS + that collection is an absolute steal.

2. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    Wow, yeah, seems incredibly low considering IMS was part of the deal.

Not sure where I read it but one speculation was that the price tag was more like $2B. But, again,
    that was purely an educated guess.

Last night, a colleague thought now with Penske in charge, we will see the formations of combined
    Indy Car/NASCAR race weekends. I don't see that happening if for any reason, NASCAR does not
    like to have their product on the same tracks where it's proven that their cars are substantially slower
    and comparative lap times are easily made.

It will be interesting to see if there is a house cleaning in Indy Car, if Mark Miles & Co. remain or Penske
    brings in "Penske Material" replacements.

BHW

3. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    I think RP already has people to fill key roles. Housecleaning no. A careful re-arrangement of personel...oh yea !

4. Alexweav79

Alexweav79 Formula Junior

Jan 10, 2009
    Owensville, MO
    Full Name:
    Alex Weaver
    Bye Tony George, Don't let the door hit you on the ass on the way out. I hope I never have to see him on my tv screen again.

This is great news for indycar. I think Roger is the right guy for the job.

I wouldn't rush to force multiple engine manufacturers in there right away, let it happen naturally. And if this is done right, I think it will happen. NASCAR is way down and F1 stinks so I think this is a huge opportunity for indycar. I would look for ways to make the cars a bit louder, wider tires, and simpler aero. More aggressive looking, harder to drive. I think american racing fans are looking for something to scratch their racing itches. They need to look back at what made indycar rise in the late 80's into the 90's and implement that with a modern twist. Hybrids are the future, I get it, but make them loud. F1 outsmarted themselves on this aspect. It is part of the attraction!

I was a kid growing up in the 90's with my dad taking me to multiple CART races and I desperately want it back to being the peak of american motorsports rivaling F1. Roger and indycar, get it right!

pilotoCS, BMW.SauberF1Team and 375+ like this.
  5. nickp91

nickp91 Rookie

Mar 25, 2018
    Full Name:
    nickp
    Let's hope Penske adds lights to Indy Brickyard 400 night race would be fun It may attract more people to come to the race

6. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
  7. kylec

kylec F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 9, 2005
    Orlando
    Bring back Cleveland!

8. 375+

375+ F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 28, 2005
    A great race on TV, not so great for those in the stands.

9. pilotoCS

pilotoCS F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 19, 2019
    The Capital of The United States of America
    Full Name:
    Willis
    Milwaukee Mile. All that place needs is a promoter that know's what he's doing. Oh . . . . it also needs to be repaved. Other than that . . . . .

10. 'Never been in person, so only saw it on TV. Could one walk the circuit, or not allowed?
    'Stands are worthless at a road course ('cept for silly rovals), 'gotta' move around the track to catch the different sections close up.

11. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    so much for Scott's retirement :p

it would make sense, at one point he was in charge of California Speedway (and maybe other Penske tracks?)

12. I wuz thinking the same thang. If it happens, I'll ('already wondering) reallllly be t'inkin' "Oy vey, such a co-in-ci-dence.....who could know......?"

GuyIncognito likes this.
  13. GuyIncognito

GuyIncognito Nine Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 30, 2007
    he retired the same week as Penske and the Hulman family started their discussions.

;)

14. 'Way ahead
    'Way ahead of ya. (or at least even, anyway;))

'Usually don't give a sheet about this kinda stuff (we can't change what is and it doesn't affect our lives) but it is amusing. :)

GuyIncognito likes this.
  15. kevin956

kevin956 Formula Junior

Jan 26, 2004
    Pasadena, CA
    I just keep wondering how sacred the golf course really is... There's a lot of real estate there to work with that could open up a lot of possibilities.
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

ryanro24 likes this.
  16. stever

stever F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Apr 18, 2006
    West. Wisconsin
    Full Name:
    Steve R
    Fom what Atherton said about his IMSA retirement, his wife would have good reason to be really frosted if he went back to work. Does Roger make house calls?

17. BartonWorkman

BartonWorkman F1 Veteran
    Sponsor

Nov 3, 2003
    En El 305
    Full Name:
    Barton Workman
    When Roger speaks, people tend to listen.

I tell ya, golf courses and cemeteries are the biggest wastes of prime real estate.” - Al Czervik, 1980

BHW

18. And the correlation is......? :confused: :p

:)

19. Methinks Rogere's got a tad more respect...... ;)

"They say it’s good to be king. It might even be better to be The Captain, at least after last week.

Roger Penske, a/k/a The Captain, may be 77 years old, but he’s coming off of a week that would make men half his age green with envy.

Penske Racing driver Brad Keselowski swept both the NASCAR Nationwide and Sprint Cup races this past weekend at Las Vegas Motor Speedway, and, oh by the way, Penske scored his first career hole-in-one while playing golf at the uber-exclusive Augusta National Golf Club, site of the Masters Golf Tournament."

'I never knew I’d get so much publicity on a hole-in-one,' said Penske, who aced the par-3, 154-yard fourth hole at the famous golf course.

Penske dedicated the team’s Sprint Cup victory to Detroit Lions owner William Clay Ford, who passed away Sunday at the age of 88. Ford, the last surviving grandson of Henry Ford, also was a member at Augusta and a friend of Penske’s.

"I take my hat off and my thoughts and prayers to his family," Penske said of Ford after Sunday’s race. "It’s ironic, he and I joined Augusta the same time back many years ago and to think today we won this race. So I’m going to give this race to William Clay Ford."

Excerpted from: https://www.foxsports.com/nascar/shake-and-bake/story/its-good-to-be-the-captain-roger-penske-had-a-pretty-nice-week-031014

20. Not so fast. Sorrowfully, may be not so.....

'Admittedly don't follow as closely as I used to ('still love racin', but just not in love any more), and 'am not a big Washington (fake news) Post reader, but, 'just came across this whilst Googling Rogere stuff...

"The family has now turned its racing properties over to Penske in an announcement made one day after the one-year anniversary of Hulman George’s death. The family will have an opportunity from Penske to remain involved with both the series and the speedway, and Tony George said he will take Penske up on the offer. He is also co-owner of Ed Carpenter Racing, the team run by his son."

From: https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/roger-penske-buys-indianapolis-motor-speedway-and-indycar/2019/11/04/777e103c-ff0a-11e9-8341-cc3dce52e7de_story.html

21. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
    With respect to remaining “involved with both the series and the Speedway” I doubt that Penske will cede much more than an honorary figurehead role to anybody in the George or Hulman families, aside from his association with Ed Carpenter Racing. Tony can be the Fredo of IMS and Indycar....picking up VIPs at the airport.:D

BartonWorkman and pilotoCS like this.
  22. Too much responsibility. I wuz thinkin' more like changin' water cooler bottles or sumpin'. (No, I'm not mean....nothin' to do with bathrooms for him) :)

rdefabri likes this.
  23. Jack-the-lad

Jack-the-lad Six Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jun 22, 2004
    Moot Pointe
  24. Turbopanzer

Turbopanzer F1 World Champ

Oct 2, 2011
    Under a bonnet
    Full Name:
    Panzer
    Why not ? Roger is already figuring a way to charge you for that service. One must seek returns on all forms of entertainment! :p