What goes here? Need more pics.. | FerrariChat

What goes here? Need more pics..

Discussion in '365 GT4 2+2/400/412' started by james.colangelo, Nov 4, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    As I'm digging into my 400i, I'm finding more and more mysteries. Such as.. what in the world used to be bolted here?

I'm guessing the original Marelli ignition module went here (mine has been changed to an MSD system) but I just don't know. There isn't mention of it in my owners manual.

By the way, I have removed the wiper motor and I am sending it off for repair today, I'll be updating that thread today.

Jim
    Image Unavailable, Please Login

2. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    That's where the dinoplex goes...

As mentioned earlier on the 412 the electronic ignition is located in another location, so you may use 412 hood trim in order to hide the hole. You may also relocate your modern ignition where it should be, i.e under the hood, where it will be away from water and slightly more protected from the infernal heat of the engine bay.

3. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    By the way could you send us a photo of the wires that are on the lower side of the picture? I just can't think about any electric accessory here.

4. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    I was in fact thinking of relocating it. For now, the MSD module is located on the fender well. It's fine there I guess but I would rather it somewhere else. The problem is, I don't think the harness will reach, which means me extending all of the wires.. not sure I want to do that as it creates a failure point for the harness. I wonder though.. if there is an extension available from MSD. I bet there is... hmm..

The wires that you see there - I'm not sure what they are for frankly - I'll take a closer look and trace them.

5. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    Normally on the front fender you've got the AC dryer. If the MSD is located there, then they have probably moved the dryer to another place?

6. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    No, the AC hasn't been relocated - it's on the passenger side inner fenderwell just in front of the air duct.

7. Part Time

Part Time Formula Junior
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 16, 2013
    Port St. Lucie, Fl
    Full Name:
    Gary Shore
    Ok.....here we go....

I fabricated a flat aluminum plate to fit the MSD and the original Mag-Mar mounting holes.
    I decided not to hide it, it's an upgrade to ancient Italian electronics.
    I did manage to go online and find the other half of the OEM connector, so no wires cut or spliced at all.
    The old unit did work...so if I want I can put it back on in 20-30 minutes.

Gary

8. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Gary!!

My new best friend. First of all it's really good to see that someone else has this upgrade - I was beginning to think I was the only one. Now I also know exactly what to do with my unit. This is great.

I emailed MSD (Holley) today to see if they have proper extensions to the cabling but yes as I sort this out I will share with everyone.

Thank you!!

Jim

dedo tanzi likes this.
  9. raemin

raemin Formula 3

Jan 16, 2007
    Lyon (FR)
    Full Name:
    R. Emin
    I am afraid MSD is not going to sell you a plug and play extension compatible with the Ferrari harness. I also suspect that the stock harness was "butchered". Here is what you need in order to rebuild the "stock" harness, and properly connect it like Gary did:

The OEM fastin-faston connector, a.k.a "6 Way Electrical Wiring Multi-Connector with 6.3mm Terminals" is approx £1.85 (male/female pair) on eBay, add to this 0.27€/m for the coloured cables (I am sourcing these locally, sorry for the quote in euro), heat shrink tubing £0.99 (per colour), period correct black (or green) cable sleeves ($3 per meter?). If you do not have a "Rachet Crimping Tool", add £29 to your shopping list (there are some $3 chinese alternative that can be used with pliers).

With all the above, you can extend the Ferrari harness, put back the OEM Fastin-Faston connector. Once you are there, on the MSD side cut the superseal(?) connector and replace it with a Fastin-Faston one.

10. Jasonberkeley

Jasonberkeley Formula 3

Apr 23, 2017
    NW Corner, CT
    Full Name:
    Jason Berkeley
    A few other threads- lots of historical posts on here. Youre not alone! Just search 'MSD' in this section!

https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dinoplex-msd.175693/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/dinoplex-msd.123634/
    https://www.ferrarichat.com/forum/threads/msd-ignition.561107/

11. james.colangelo

james.colangelo Karting

Jan 28, 2008
    Detroit, MI USA
    Full Name:
    James Colangelo
    Fantastic. Thanks to you both. I’ll keep you all updated with my changes / progress on this. I need to relocate that MSD to the proper location.

Jasonberkeley likes this.