Was the 2020 Toyota Supra worth the wait? | FerrariChat

Was the 2020 Toyota Supra worth the wait?

Discussion in 'General Automotive Discussion' started by F40-R, Oct 28, 2019.

Tags:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. F40-R

F40-R Formula 3

Jun 22, 2014
    Drove it, it’s nimble, compact and quick. For the price I think it’s worth the extra fun but just how common will they be? Or perhaps wait for a better version to come out which seems quite imminent.

2. Edward 96GTS

Edward 96GTS F1 Veteran
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 1, 2003
    seat belts welded incorrectly. no fix possible so toyota is giving owners new cars.

3. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I actually got the chance to drive one recently and it was surprisingly well made.
    I wasn't expecting to much out of it but it reminded me of a 987.2 Cayman while I was driving just the feel of it at least.

We actually have a system being released for the 2020 A90 Supra in the works currently, as well!

4. rdefabri

rdefabri Three Time F1 World Champ

Jun 4, 2008
    NJ
    Full Name:
    Rich
    It looks weird.

TheMayor, JAM1 and Isobel like this.
  5. energy88

energy88 Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Jan 21, 2012
    West of Fredericksburg, VA
    Full Name:
    John
    What a wacky situation. Supras being recalled by BMW. Involves seven (7) cars! If it is in print, it must be true. :eek: Right?

https://www.wkyc.com/article/news/nation-world/bmw-toyota-supra-recall-replacement-car/507-84d2c662-65f1-4072-9e31-4da77e8cea66

As for OP's original query, Supras could be "rare" because demand has fallen for them after the first few months. Price premiums are now a thing of the past and everyone who wants one has one. There are several other threads on FChat that discuss the Supra situation.

6. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Its a BMW powertrain with no stick offered. And its ugly (subjective I know). I don't get it.

alum04org and Isobel like this.
  7. LamboLover

LamboLover F1 Rookie

Jul 16, 2006
    Texas
    Full Name:
    Rick
    On 7 cars out of how many made....

Drove one through a work contact. Fun car, kind of ticks all the things I'm looking for in a new weekend toy (minus a V8), will probably wait til' the 2nd year cars are out though and see how the used market reacts before buying through that route. Too many dealers still wanting stupid $10-30K mark ups when others are offering MSRP.

8. BMW.SauberF1Team

BMW.SauberF1Team F1 World Champ

Dec 4, 2004
    I agree. First time I saw photos of it, it reminded me of the Ambiguously Gay Duo car from SNL digital shorts. The pointed hood and double bubble roof...

I don't like how it's just a BMW under all that...pretty weak effort.

rdefabri likes this.
  9. JAM1

JAM1 F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Oct 22, 2004
    FL, NY, and MA
    Full Name:
    Joe
    It’s not just the photos either. The car is ugly in person too. Huge swing and miss by Toyota.

10. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    This dude gives car reviews professionally.
    You would think he has the microphone problems figured out by now..nope !

The old Supra was compared to the 512TR and the Porsche 911 turbo in Road and Track written by Paul Frere. It came out as equals.
    I still have that issue.

This one compares to a BMW convertible.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

11. LightGuy

LightGuy Three Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Oct 4, 2004
    Texas
    Full Name:
    David
    One was at a recent cars and coffee.
    Driver was nice enough to cut off my GT2 at the entrance going in.
    Special dude in a special car. ;)

Very few around his yellow Supra during the show.
    A Meh-mobile.
    Always a gathering around the GT2.

Dewinator likes this.
  12. randkin

randkin Formula 3
    BANNED

Aug 2, 2015
    Somis, CA
    Full Name:
    Randy
    I guess I don't get it. If the 2020 Supra is mainly a BMW Z4 why not just get an Z4? The Z4 sure looks better than the Supra.:rolleyes:

rdefabri and carguyjohn350 like this.
  13. Etcetera

Etcetera Two Time F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

Dec 7, 2003
    Full Name:
    C9H8O4
    I don't get it, either. What's the point of putting an ugly body kit on a BMW? The last one is an automotive icon. This one is already forgotten about.

randkin likes this.
  14. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    Now that is something worthy of a few pics!

New Supra is ugly IMO. Too bad, could have been a fun ride...T

15. GatorFL

GatorFL Moderator
    Moderator Owner

Nov 18, 2005
    Wellington, FL
    Full Name:
    Duane
    It's not just a BMW powertrain, the two I saw this weekend were built by BMW per the VIN tag. It's a Toyota body kit on a Z4.

16. carguyjohn350

carguyjohn350 F1 Rookie
    Silver Subscribed

Mar 7, 2007
    Houston, TX
    Full Name:
    John P
    Thats even worse. I don't get Toyota lately. The AE-86 is really a Subaru, the Supra is a BMW. They've lost the plot. Like the final generation Pontiac LeMans was a rebadged Daewoo. How the mighty have fallen.

17. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

This seems like a nice sports car, and despite the confused styling they are admittedly quite striking on the road. I also get why one would buy this over a Z4 - it's a coupe, tuned to be much more sports oriented than the BMW is, and has the Supra nameplate & unique look which is worth something to a certain group of buyers.

I know for me, this car is mildly interesting as a sports car that could be daily driven, whereas I would never think about purchasing a Z4, which strikes me as a soft convertible for heading to the golf course (sorry!).

But, the problem is the core set of buyers for a new Supra are a very niche and hardcore group of Japanese car fans. These people accepted the Toyota 86 because it was a collaboration between two Japanese car companies, sold at dealers by both of those companies, and a good deal of the work was done by both companies. They are going to have trouble accepting a car which is essentially all BMW parts, built by BMW, and sold by Toyota without any expectation of Toyota or even Japanese levels of longevity or reliability.

Ak Jim, boxerman and Thecadster like this.
  18. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    Sterling Sackey likes this.
  19. TeamF1Jr

TeamF1Jr Formula 3
    Silver Subscribed

Nov 8, 2003
    I get the impression from watching a few videos from those who own both the old Supra and new Supra that they were bored by the level of refinement. These old Supra owners have tweeked there cars to make them raw as can be and here comes the new Supra and they think there going to get a modern version of what they have and instead it's a boring car in their view. It doesn't mean it's a bad car, but they'll have to dump a ton a money into it to get it close to the feel of their old ones.

20. tomc

tomc Two Time F1 World Champ

Apr 13, 2014
    DFW, Texas
    Full Name:
    Tom C
    86 is about a third to half the price it seems. If they start to deep discount the Supra, then one might be able to live with the polarizing design.

T

21. JTSE30

JTSE30 F1 Rookie

Oct 1, 2004
    Austin TX
    If instead Toyota had given it a completely different name and never tied it to the Supra, maybe it would do better? Because there would then be no expectations or comparisons...

Like the Toyota Frumpy or something ...

However, so closely connecting the car to Bavaria instead of Japan would probably remain a continuing reason for the car to lack interest.

22. Thecadster

Thecadster F1 Veteran
    Rossa Subscribed

Apr 27, 2017
    Keep this in mind, Toyota has over 1300 dealerships, so more than half don’t even have a car to show a customer. Has anyone heard what the production run is going to be?

23. boxerman

boxerman F1 World Champ
    Silver Subscribed

May 27, 2004
    FL
    Full Name:
    Sean
    I think it looks interesting for what it is. Bright colors do it no favors.
    But its also just a remap away from a lot more power. Tuners will be playing with these for years.
    With the demise of the Fe vette this car may get some of those sales.
    If they make a version with Mcar hardware look out.

Also its inexpensive for a BMW.

What toyota really needs is something like the BRZ with nicer interior and STI motor.

24. Sterling Sackey

Sterling Sackey Formula 3
    Sponsor

#24 Sterling Sackey, Oct 31, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2019
    This is also a big issue. People think they want a new version of the old Supra, in reality they don't.

Every generation of Supra before this, including the "legendary" 4th generation, was essentially a fairly heavy GT-car in stock form. They did not get great reviews against contemporary sports cars when new, especially Japanese ones such as the NSX and 3rd-gen RX-7.

What made the 4th generation Supra actually legendary was the 2JZ engine, which was massively overbuilt and therefore able to handle huge amounts of power when tuned. This led to the cars being used by tuners for drag racing, where they were a cheap and easy solution to being the fastest car at any event. Then, Fast & Furious came out in 2001 and cemented the Supra in the public's eye as a hero car.

Keep in mind, much of this was going on years after the 4th-gen Supra was even in production and being sold new. It was cancelled in 1998, and had been a slow seller during the entire run.

So, the Supra legend is based on its tunability, not how great the actual car delivered from Toyota was. Drive a stock 4th generation Supra, and you'll have trouble understanding what all the hype is about.

The car Toyota delivered for the new Supra is a much better car than any Supra before it. But, people's expectations of what a Supra is are so skewed that it might not ever live up to the name's reputation.

25. Tubi Sales

Tubi Sales Karting

Jul 5, 2019
    PHX
    I'd have to agree 100% with this. The MK4 Supra was held in high regard because the number of options and potential it had. This was all due to the 2JZ and Aftermarket support it had. With how everything is trending and SEMA right around the corner, I give it about a year's time before we see people's perspective of the MK5 Supra change for the better.

Sterling Sackey likes this.