Electrical gremlins | Page 3 | FerrariChat

Electrical gremlins

Discussion in 'Boxers/TR/M' started by 4heid, Sep 22, 2019.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

1. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    New alternator installed and it starts....but with a delay. I hear the starter spinning for 2-3 seconds or so before it starts. Then the output is never consistent. Any thoughts?

2. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    southwest germany and thailand
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    don´t understand now right:
    starter spinning ( so the starter is rotating/working ) 2-3 seconds before it starts? so the engine starts/fire up, runs or the starter starts to work? under spinning I understand that the starter is rotating and as soon as the starter rotates the crankshaft also rotates

3. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    Let me clarify...
    The starter works.
    It spins the crank, but it takes 2-3 seconds before the engine starts.
    It appears there is still an ignition or fuel issue as it runs poorly, with the revs moving up and down on their own.
    I have used a spark plug light a few times and it shows consistent visual spark in the inline chamber on both sides.
    Obviously, as the revs move up, the voltage increases and as it drops and almost dies it decreases.
    One note, when trying to maintain higher revs with the throttle pedal, when pushing it slightly on the first press, the engine almost dies and drops further, then it jumps up and if you push further into the throttle it increases.
    I have seen that issue, when pressing the throttle the engine rev decreases, in older threads but I cant seem to find them again and what the reasoning for that was.
    Could it be a vacuum issue or switch?
    I tested the switch a few threads ago and the resistance was higher but not horrible.

4. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    And where is the problem?

5. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    2-5 seconds is not unusual before the engine starts. but then when you accelerate you seem to have problems. checkt he cold start valves if they open during starting. this is the little more fuel what it needs to start faster and also accelerate then easier

6. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    They are working, still thos odd issue that pressing the accelerator causes it to loose revs

7. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    only when cold or also when warm?

8. 4heid

4heid Karting

Jul 31, 2019
    Maryland
    Full Name:
    Chris
    So far when cold, havent let it idle till warm as its running very poorly and backfiring a lot.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

9. fridolin_pt

fridolin_pt Karting

Mar 25, 2008
    Germany NRW
    Full Name:
    Fritz
    Sounds like ignition problem

Babalouie likes this.
  10. turbo-joe

turbo-joe F1 Veteran

Apr 6, 2008
    Full Name:
    romano schwabel
    you have this problem on both sides or only on 1 bank?